Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re:Quick Question concerning renting timeshare unit (by Mike N.):

carolynj46 wrote:
Yikes!! What do you recommend?
Do you mean recommendation for payment? PayPal is fine, I've used them , but it can be a nuisance setting up the account. I've also had people send me checks.

Checks should be drawn on US banks, NOT be third party checks and should be for the exact amount owed. I don't know about now, but in the past, if I was suspicious, I could call a bank to verify if the account has sufficient funds (saves me a potential bounced-check fee). I also accepted a credit card payment through PayPal, but the renter has to pay the additional fee.

The best option for the renter's protection is an Escrow company, but I'm not a fan of Escrow due to the costs and restrictions.

Your protection is that YOU control the reservation; you only need to notify the resort if there is any problem with the paymets and tell them the person does not have permission to stay there.

All that being said, here's the one potential problem for you. Even though the renter provides a credit card to the resort at check-in, if there are any damages and the resort, for some reason, CANNOT collect from the renter, YOU will be responsible. IMO, this situation is rare, but some owners will also ask for a security/damage deposit.