Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE (by Dano333):

Yes, we paid for our membership in full when we purchased it back in the 90's. As I stated in other posts, this was with The Mayan Palace. Beautiful resorts. In the beginning we could book March Break as late as January of that same year. At the end I couldn't book March Break on September 1st of the previous year. Even getting up at midnight on the first possible day to book, using their interactive booking website. No rooms available was what I was told, at any of their resorts. In my estimation they had drastically oversold their memberships, telling you when you joined that by law, they weren't allowed to do so. So, with the involvement of my family lawyer, I got out of my contract without any difficulty at all.

If you also have a paid up membership and are just paying maintenance fees going forward, I see absolutely no reason why you can't just "walk away". I don't think the resorts can do a thing about it. I've researched this and haven't found one instance of a resort coming after you for stopping maintenance fee payments. I read about what they "could" or "may" do, but did they actually do it? You've probably reached the point that I did. I've had enough. Come after me if you want, see you in court, whatever. If it comes to it, get a good, local lawyer to draw up some documents stating your case. I think you'll be okay.

colleeng145 wrote:
Was your membership paid up? I was told by a Mexican lawyer that if your fees are paid in full you can cancel your time share and walk away.