Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Should I just give up my timeshare??? (by KC):

phoebek2 wrote:
SOOOO, my question is....what in the world can we do with it!??? We don't want to use RCI for anything, so does anyone know if it's possible to trade within the resort? For instance, can we trade our week ? If so, what's the first steps to go about doing this. I'm about ready to give up.

Your post may be edited by site moderators as appearing to be a (prohibited) ad, since you identify a specific week and resort, but I will still at least tell you with certainty that "you own what you own" and you can't somehow just magically go to an entirely different week at an entirely different facility instead. Ain't gonna happen.

If you can't use what you own, you have little choice other than to rent it out or deposit it for exchange. RCI is NOT your only option for "exchange". RedWeek has its own exchange program too.

"Just give up my timeshare" is not a realistic (or legal) option; no resort will tolerate that. Maintenance fees are what make the facility wheels go 'round. They would ultimately foreclose on your ownership and then ding your credit report for forcing them to do so. If you have kids young enough to be in school, you probably don't need or want any such credit report "ding" which will be there in print for years to come, negatively affecting your ability to get mortgages, loans, etc.

If your week has no market value, consider contacting the resort HOA (in writing) to ask if they will accept "deed in lieu of foreclosure". Some will, most won't ---but it costs you NOTHING to just ask. Do so ONLY in writing to the HOA; don't have phone conversations with desk clerks who lack BOTH the knowledge OR the authority to address or answer any such question at all in the first place.

Good luck.