Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Rick K.):

Guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had been following this post for some time and would like to thank everyone for sharing your thoughts. It's really beneficial for us to express different view points. I think there is no right or wrong on this topic, just share the experiences. So, some of you warned people and some of you tried to persuade people to get in, I believe your intentions are all good.

Generally, I think it's kind of a common sense that if someone has bad experience with something, it's a good will to warn others. For me, I would do that. Similar for good stuff, I would share my experience with others. But, I wouldn't try that hard to persuade others if they feel it’s good. My attitude would be, I tell you it's good, believe it or not, it's not my business. I would just keep enjoying it myself and not spending so much energy and time to prove I am right and persuade others to do the same thing. Unless I am defending something else. I believe that's why Bob becomes so suspicious with Dennis’ role in real world. So, enough said.

Anyways, I own 2 2-BR platinum weeks at GV, Orlando. I attended the presentation 1 year ago and decided not to join the new point system since its rules seem unreasonable to me, beside the misleading sales pitch.

I am no expert on the new point system, but looking into it, I have some thoughts, as a week owner.

Why Marriott push out this new system? I believe that with the original deeded system, owners exchange weeks “directly”. When I say “directly” I mean mostly thru II. Hence, although it’s Marriott properties, Marriott doesn’t make profit during the exchange process (maybe it does, but not I am aware of).

Now, Marriott steps in between the exchanging owners. What Marriott does is that it cuts off the direct week to week exchange channel between owners thru II. If owners can exchange weeks thru Marriott, then there is no difference for the owners. But what Marriott does is to convert the weeks into points. So now the owners can’t exchange week to week anymore. Marriott controls the rules of this game. It decides how many points you can get from your ownership. Ok, if that’s it, and if the owners can still exchange points to points fairly, then there is no problem.

The problem is, when you exchange into points, you only get 60% of what your unit worth, that’s for all the owners.

What that means is, for example (a really simple one), if 2 owners each has a unit with equal value, say 3000 points and they want to exchange, no problem, as each owner agrees it would go right thru.

But after Marriott steps in, each owner only gets 1800 points. Can they still exchange with each other? Even if they agree, it’s not their call anymore. Marriott says “No Way!” since each of you only has 1800 points and you need 3000 points for that unit!!!!! I hope you get the idea here.

So what you need to do to perform the same exchange? Buy more points!! From whom? Of course Marriott. That’s how Marriott squeeze more money (Big Money) out of their owners’ pockets thru the exchange process and that’s why Marriott push the owners so hard to convert into the new system.

And that’s why a lot of owners have the same question, why the points I get is not even enough to request my own unit? I believe that’s the trick Marriott plays. Marriott sales will tell you that if you want to use your own unit, you don’t exchange into point system. But, that’s not the problem. The problem is that it’s not a fair game. Not a fair game not between the owners, but between all the owners and Marriott, and the game rules favor Marriott!!!!!

Again, I am no expert on the new point system and it’s only my reasoning. Personally I feel this scheme is a big rip-off for the owners and I believe a lot of owners don’t feel right and choose not to join.

And of course, there are also owners that see good side of it and choose to join. And many owners didn’t get the real picture before they decide to convert and now regret, only find it’s a one way ticket…..

I am just sharing my thoughts. I am not arguing with anyone nor trying to persuade anyone. Like it or not, I don't care. I don't have that kind of time and energy. If you have different opinions or insights, please share.

Again, thanks for all people that post here. I learned a lot.