Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

May Newsletter Q&A: Second Market Timeshare Owners 'Caught' By RCI (by Steve W.):

luigik wrote:
o.k. It's obvious you have the word "crook" fixed somewhere and that nothing will help you see the real world. If you can't do the math and if you can't see value, you shouldn't buy. Nobody is forced to buy or invest and it only takes a few moments to calculate the cost of vacationing at the level you'd like to and if the numbers don't make sense, there's only one thing to say. "No!" And sure, very few people stay in $3000 a night rooms but with the right timeshare, you can.
But the thread is about the OP saying buyers of resales didn't get the same priority for oceanfront as the original buyer. That may be the value. You buy oceanfront and then they try to take it away. That's what the thread is about. Not how much value there may be in buying a timeshare for 100X what you might be able to rent it for.

Timeshare sales is successful because people like to *own* things. That's how they sell timeshares, pride of ownership. They make you want to buy it.

Whereas I say show me why I'd rather own than just rent it for a week, I still get it but there are differences.

I don't have to buy anything, so I save that money, and if I show up to rent and they don't want to give me the oceanfront unit, for example, I can just say NO. And I would have no problem with that, by not buying I remain an important customer.

Unless they satisfy me they can't make money.

After you buy, you are no longer important.

Remember how it is trying to get the week you want? Some resorts are likely worse than others but I have known people who were calling in every week for months trying to get what they supposedly own.