Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Manhattan Club Lawsuit (by Thomas M.):

Hi. My parents have been MC timeshare owners for years and I am trying to help them get out of it. (1 BR, 1 Bath, silver, Sun-Thu, 52 weeks/yr). They haven't used it in years and due to my father's age and health they are no longer able to, and as everyone knows the fees are ridiculous. My mother asked me to put an ad on ebay for $1 but before I do that I'd just like to become aware of any options. I called the NYAG office to ask about the lawsuit and left a message. Any help getting caught up with this (before I read 114 pages of this thread) and with the following questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Is it possible to join the class action lawsuit? Or are you automatically part of it if you are an owner? Mom said she was told she was on a waiting list to have the MC take back the timeshare upon completion of the suit. I am not sure if this means she is part of the class or not.

2. What is the risk in not paying the fee? She was told it would affect her credit rating. What are the experiences of people who have tried this?

3. What are the thoughts about trying to "sell" very cheaply now or not (which would probably mean taking an additional net loss paying closing and transfer costs)? Is there a chance that there will be a larger settlement, or MC being forced to purchase the unit back as opposed to just giving it back to them?

Again, any help/info is greatly appreciated.