Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Right of First Refusal (by R P.):

anthonyr187 wrote:
Thank your for your responses.

The salesman is a very good employee and is aware of the resale market. He stated with 100% certainty the Marriott would exercise it ROFR and would not allow a week 7 Park City to transfer for mid 30's when those units sold new for 80s. In addition, he has inventory that he is offering at $78,000 at the same location.

I tend to believe him....the selling agent gets commission either way...Marriott gets the unit at 30s and then resells at 80's...and the owner gets the unit sold at a price that he/she agreed to

The key is to get someone to sign the purchase agreement, put down earnest money...wait 60 to 90 days...only to be rejected....

I am not surprised that the resell market is difficult....

IF they previously sold in the 80's then that was before the great recession hit (2007) .... things are completely different now in the world of timeshare .... many ultra nice timeshares weeks in ultra nice resorts can't even be given away in this economy, so what was sold pre-2007 can't be compared to what timeshares are selling for today .... I'm sure Marriott realizes that even if the salesperson doesn't (remember he's trying to make a huge commission).

If I were you I'd rent a week 7 from a timeshare owner and then you're not responsible for future rising maintenance fees, special assessments, ROFR and all the other burdens of ownership until you find a reasonable price on a resale (IF you must buy).

Also, if you contact an owner that has a week 7 for rent or for sale then you can negotiate the price .... don't just offer what they have listed .... you might be surprised at what an owner will take in this economy and should Marriott exercise ROFR on a resale then at least you would have tried .... I wouldn't necessarily believe ANY timeshare salesperson concerning ROFR ... he has no idea what Marriott would actually do.