Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: want to buy a Marriott timeshare: advice needed (by Karen D.):

Marriott deals with II for exchanges, and there are fees involved for being a member of II as well as making an exchange, changing the date, changing a reservation to add a guest...you name it and they have a fee for it. That is why so many Marriott owners hate II. This is why Marriott introduced the Destination Program, which has mixed reviews (you have to buy points as well as buy into the program, which is very costly).

I would recommend to the OP that the best way to go is to buy a resale from someone wanting to sell their Marriott at a prime (highly requested, time of year), location, and view. Some places, this can be all year long (example Hawaii). In the Carribbean, it would be in the winter months for you. However there are certain weeks that are more prime in winter, for example President's Week, holiday weeks, Easter, Spring Vacation (this varies) etc. The view makes a difference as well; a view of the ocean or over looking the ocean is better than one that looks at a parking lot or the mountains -- think about resale yourself or renting it down the road or trading it. When you trade, you get what you have or less, unless you are lucky and go the II web site and happen to catch something by chance to exchange it with that is better....but this is very rare. II charges you if you talk to someone in person.

People who buy for resale are not entitled to points from Marriott. However you can get points other ways. For example you can get a Marriott Visa credit card and if you use it exclusively you can get a LOT of points this way. If you pay with this card while doing anything with Marriott, you get triple points...so it adds up. If this has changed, since there has been a lot of changes with Marriott recently, you may want to verify with corporate Marriott Owner Services 01-1-800-845-4226.

Other high demand things to look for: Weeks: floating weeks, annual weeks (you can also get every other week); View: Ocean view/Ocean front; Floor: high floor; Location: a high demand year-long location (Hawaii would give you the best trading option in a 2-BR villa).

Verify from Marriott that they (the sellers) are indeed the owners and are in good standing (owe no money to Marriott). Marriott has a Sales Dept. that you can speak to; usually it is the owner's responsibility to get the paperwork in order and between Marriott and the owner, then include the buyer; all the paperwork is done electronically - very easy to do.

Talk to the owners several times on the phone to get a "feel" for them prior to making any kind of offer. Use an escrow service if you feel more comfortable and insist on a Sales Contract (I believe Marriott needs to see a copy of one anyway). I had one drawn up by an attorney when I sold one of my Marriott TS's and it went very smoothly; Marriott also insists that certain things be in your Contract. Keep in constant contact with the owners; these days with electronic devices you don't need the cost of telephone calls.

But don't get your hopes up on trading to travel elsewhere with II unless you buy Marriott in NYC (Category 9 - the highest). They may put you an a less desirable location or at the last few weeks before departure say they can't put you where you thought you were going to be and your vacation travels and airfare are ruined. So consider your home TS as a place to go, and make it a prime place, time of year, view, etc.

Also some of the Marriotts (example Ko Olina in Oahu) have a feature called a "lock-off" where you can close off the Master suite and leave a Deluxe Guest BR with a kitchenette and bathroom (sleeps 4). The Master Villa alone also sleeps 4, but you can get a cot as well. You could get 2 weeks out of this type of feature, however unless you can get over travel fatigue quickly to stay in HI one week, I don't suggest it; you really need 2 weeks to enjoy yourself.