Time Share Debacle

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Time Share Debacle (by KC):

kristii6 wrote:
<snip> When my parents called the company they were told that the lady they had spoken with has since left the company and nothing had been filed on their behalf, but they would get some paperwork to them right out to have signed to proceed. The paperwork they received was to file bankruptcy. They have been swindled yet again. Today they received a notice that their bank accounts can and may be seized. At a time that they should be relaxing and enjoying their retirement years, they are now faced with many painful life lessons...and a very bleak situation.

My question is, is there any recourse? It has now been 8 months since they defaulted on two loans and additionally they can not afford they maintenance fees, so they have not been paid for this year. How do I advise them? Who can we trust for sound advice? Will it be helpful to contact Bluegreen at this point?

I am sorry for your folks' predicament. It is an unfortunate fact and reality of the slimy and greedy timeshare industry that in addition to deceitful timeshare developer sales parasites (Westgate and Wyndham are the worst, in my opinion), there are also various secondary levels of parasites preying upon the vulnerable seeking to "escape" (always for a substantial upfront fee, of course, despte the collecting entity having absolutely no ability to effect any such "escape" in the first place).

Few legitimate attorneys will touch "timeshare escapes gone wrong", since they know that the associated underlying contracts are solid and were entered into VOLUNTARILY. The best your folks might be able to do at this point is consult with a local attorney to discuss and mitigate to the best of their ability the impact of inevitable foreclosure on their timeshare ownership, how to best protect themselves going forward, and how not to be frightened or in any way intimidated by (or even bother to respond to) any doomsday threats or scenarios from hungry third parties looking to take advantage and cash in on someone else's desperation. At the very least, in the meantime, they should NOT pay ANY entity another penny --- including ANY parasitic entity promising non-existent miracles. Good luck.