Point Systems

RedWeek's own new point system!

Jun 09, 2008

jayjay wrote:
amia5 wrote:
just discovered redweek and I've gotten a points eval for my week - the only thing is I have no idea what those points will get me in an exchange. what I want is something in nyc in mid-oct. can anyone give me an idea how many points the manhattan club or affinia go for? thanks!!

So far, their are no NYC weeks deposited with Redweek but there are many provisional weeks. If there had been a deposit, you could click on Timeshare Exchange above and enter NYC to see what an evaluation (points needed) would be if one had been deposited. I have no idea how you would find an evaluation unless one had been deposited.

Perhaps marty will chime in with suggestions on how to determine NYC evaluation points or you could send an email to Redweek.

============= I WISH Marty would give an explanation, but RedWeek is following the lead of RCI and II and keeping tight-lipped. Though, I'm not sure if they even know how to rate the resorts. I have a decent trader in New Hampshire and I saw a similar resort (size and location) getting almost 1800 points for a mid-March week (best case is spring skiing; worst case is mud season). So I naturally assumed (shame on me) that my summer NH week would get at least the same 1800 points as well. WRONG... RedWeek assigned only 1400 points. I asked for two other valuations, one during a February ski week and the other for the same mid-March week as the previously mention NH resort. Both these valuations came in at 1400 points as well. RedWeek valued a prime New England week the same as a lesser demand week.

My week can exchange one for one with many II resorts, whereas it would cost me several hundred dollars to buy more points to make the same exchange through Redweek. All I'm asking for is a little consistency

Mike N.
Jun 10, 2008

Since there aren't any current exchanges for NYC we have no idea what the valuation would be.

Here's a little on how our exchange valuations are compiled:

RedWeek Exchange valuations have to do with many factors such as the time remaining until check-in, the resort's ratings and reviews, location, seasonality.

One of the benefits of the RedWeek Exchange program is that we are transparent in our trading power values. If you have deposited with RCI or II in the past, I'm sure you know that they do not give you an adequate picture of what you might be able to actually exchange for. You deposit your week, submit your requests, and hope for the best. We have found that many owners are unhappy with RCI and II, as they are unable to get the exchanges they want.

With RedWeek, we give you an actual value. You are able to trade up or down using the points you are given, which is not possible in the major exchange companies. That being said, we are still shaping our valuation system to come up with the most accurate pricing possible.

You do have a full three years to use your points. We are confident that you will be more than satisfied with the value as you look across the other deposits that come throughout the coming year.

Hope this helps.

Marty

Marty F

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 12, 2008 04:27 PM

Jun 10, 2008

marty8084 wrote:
Since there aren't any current exchanges for NYC we have no idea what the valuation would be.

RedWeek Exchange valuations have to do with many factors such as the time remaining until check-in, the resort's ratings and reviews, location, seasonality.

One of the benefits of the RedWeek Exchange program is that we are transparent in our trading power values. If you have deposited with RCI or II in the past, I'm sure you know that they do not give you an adequate picture of what you might be able to actually exchange for. You deposit your week, submit your requests, and hope for the best. We have found that many owners are unhappy with RCI and II, as they are unable to get the exchanges they want.

With RedWeek, we give you an actual value. You are able to trade up or down using the points you are given, which is not possible in the major exchange companies. That being said, we are still shaping our valuation system to come up with the most accurate pricing possible.

You do have a full three years to use your points. We are confident that you will be more than satisfied with the value as you look across the other deposits that come throughout the coming year.

Hope this helps.

Marty

========== Thanks for the explanation, but I do have a question. When Redweek looks at current rental rates to help claculate points, are you looking at rental rates listed on RedWeek, or rental rates set by the resort themselves? Does that mean if I rent my unit for less than the resort rates, it results in a LOWER point value for exchanges? It seems like I'm shooting myself in the foot.

Mike N.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 12, 2008 04:26 PM

Jun 11, 2008

My problem is the inventory availability - most of the ones I see for a year now are all provisional - sure hope Redweek can add to their inventory some other way than depending on deposits or perhaps Redweek can jsut buy back the points you dont need or want.

Chris T.
Jun 11, 2008

adahiscout wrote:
Just discovered this. Ineresting, but I've found a couple of glitches already in valuations.

More points are allowed for a Sea Gardens in Acapulco than for a Mayan Palace. No way. They are branches of the same resort system but Mayan Palace is a step UP from Sea Gardens. Then I was looking at English resorts and saw that the 1BR cost fewer points than the Studio in the same resort. There may be a good reason for this, but I can't guess what.

Suppose this is still RedWeek's "shake-down cruise".

MD

Mayan Palace was a nice exchange. Not worth the Timeshare price. If you purchase a Timeshare, exchange. Mayan also had returned units for $20k.

Tony L.
Jun 12, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Marty

========== Thanks for the explanation, but I do have a question. When Redweek looks at current rental rates to help claculate points, are you looking at rental rates listed on RedWeek, or rental rates set by the resort themselves? Does that mean if I rent my unit for less than the resort rates, it results in a LOWER point value for exchanges? It seems like I'm shooting myself in the foot.

Our valuations are specifically aimed at replicating rental rates either on RedWeek or from the resort. We can be influenced by recent rental rates where we know them. Renting below resort rental rates is unlikely to make a difference unless there are a large number of people who do this over a long period of time. More important will be whether people are willing to take the exchanges at the valuations we have posted..

Marty F

Jun 12, 2008

ynarpz wrote:
My problem is the inventory availability - most of the ones I see for a year now are all provisional - sure hope Redweek can add to their inventory some other way than depending on deposits or perhaps Redweek can jsut buy back the points you dont need or want.

We are cutting down on the number of provisionals listed for each resort and as exchange inventory grows the provisional option should continue to change.

Marty F
Jun 12, 2008

marty8084 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Marty

Our valuations are specifically aimed at replicating rental rates either on RedWeek or from the resort. We can be influenced by recent rental rates where we know them. Renting below resort rental rates is unlikely to make a difference unless there are a large number of people who do this over a long period of time. More important will be whether people are willing to take the exchanges at the valuations we have posted..

============== Thanks Marty, every little bit helps people understand the process. My pet peeve is that based on recent valuations, I would not even be able to exchange into a similar resort in a similar location during the same dates. When I see more consistency in valuations, I would be more apt to participate.

Mike N.

Jul 13, 2008

I have points on deposit and wondering where or could I sell these points- I do not ever think I can use them in the next 2 yrs as I can no longer travel as freely as I did before - or can I even donate it somewhere?

Chris T.
Jul 14, 2008

ynarpz wrote:
I have points on deposit and wondering where or could I sell these points- I do not ever think I can use them in the next 2 yrs as I can no longer travel as freely as I did before - or can I even donate it somewhere?
=============================== I don't think RedWeek has a system to transfer points, but there is nothing to stop you from using your points to reserve a unit, then renting or donating that unit to someone else.

Check some of the RedWishes or TUG want ads to see if anyone is looking for a rental that you might be able provide.

Mike N.
Jul 14, 2008

I have a 2 Br unit in Mauii. Redweek evaluation is 2684 Pts. I forgot to mention that it is a lock off unit .Do they give more points for lock off ? I think also that they should mention that unit as a 2br , studio or 1br for exchange because some people just need a studio or 1 br , and not 2br.

Vien L.
Jul 14, 2008

vienl wrote:
I have a 2 Br unit in Mauii. Redweek evaluation is 2684 Pts. I forgot to mention that it is a lock off unit .Do they give more points for lock off ? I think also that they should mention that unit as a 2br , studio or 1br for exchange because some people just need a studio or 1 br , and not 2br.
=============== If you deposited a 2BR, it is irrelevant to Redweek whether or not it is a lock-off. RedWeek should not split the unit. If you own a lock-off, you may want to request valuations for each part of your unit.

Mike N.
Jul 14, 2008

ynarpz wrote:

If your resort allows you to split them and rent them out/use them separately, you can submit them either as one or two weeks into the RedWeek Exchange...

You will need to make sure that you submit the values correctly. For example, many 3 bedroom lock-outs, when split, often have a 2 bedroom on one side, and more of a "hotel room" on the other. The locked-off portion of the unit is typically a room with a kitchenette. Rather than a full closed-off bedroom with a separate living space + kitchen.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 15, 2008

ynarpz wrote:

RedWeek members are allowed to rent out or give away weeks obtained through RedWeek Exchange. So you can use your RedWeek.com points to book a week then rent or give away that week.

All transactions are between RedWeek.com and its members (not the member's guest). All confirmations are noted with the name of the person to check-in at the host resort. If for any reason this is to change, the member (not the guest), must contact RedWeek.com and advise the change to the original confirmation details. A new confirmation will be issued by RedWeek.com and the destination resort will be notified accordingly.

RedWeek must be notified of a guest no later than five business days prior to check-in.

The guest assumes all responsibility for any breakages/damages that occur to the unit.

This would be an option for you.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 16, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
vienl wrote:
=============== If you deposited a 2BR, it is irrelevant to Redweek whether or not it is a lock-off. RedWeek should not split the unit. If you own a lock-off, you may want to request valuations for each part of your unit.
================ Isn't the number of persons a unit will sleep relevant in Redweek evaluations? Usually, a 2BR sleeps 6 private and a full 2BR lock-off sleeps 8 private because there are two living rooms with sleeper sofas.

It occurs to me that RedWeek has an advantage over RCI/II in that to deposit a L-O with RCI/II as two 1BRs means you will pay two exchange fees to use your deposits and can't re-combine them. Since RW gives you points, you can make two exchanges OR combine the points from these two 1BR units to snag one larger unit and do it with a single exchange fee. More options are a good thing. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jul 16, 2008 09:46 AM

Jul 16, 2008

adahiscout wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
vienl wrote:
================ Isn't the number of persons a unit will sleep relevant in Redweek evaluations? Usually, a 2BR sleeps 6 private and a full 2BR lock-off sleeps 8 private because there are two living rooms with sleeper sofas.

It occurs to me that RedWeek has an advantage over RCI/II in that to deposit a L-O with RCI/II as two 1BRs means you will pay two exchange fees to use your deposits and can't re-combine them. Since RW gives you points, you can make two exchanges OR combine the points from these two 1BR units to snag one larger unit and do it with a single exchange fee. More options are a good thing. MD

=========== For what it's worth, if someone owns at an RCI Points resort and does a Points For Deposit using an RCI weeks unit, they will also get more points to deposit the L/O separately then if they did a PFD of the 2 BR as a one unit.

Mike N.
Aug 12, 2008

What would help me the most would be the ability to make an offer of my unit for trade with one that is listed as provisional. I am not seeing the units I would like to "purchase" with my redweek points and thus am unlikely to deposit the weeks I currently have. I do have high value weeks like San Francisco, Manhattan, and Santa Fe but I want to trade into high value weeks like London and Paris and they are all listed (when listed at all) as provisional. I would be more than happy to do the contacting through Redweek and pay the exchange fee. This would also help, as most of my weeks could be changed for a more convenient date for the potential exchange. I am wondering if this possibility is in the works? It is certainly available when the weeks are listed as rentals - and Redweek only makes the cost of the advertisement for those.

Kathleen C.
Aug 12, 2008

kathy585 wrote:
What would help me the most would be the ability to make an offer of my unit for trade with one that is listed as provisional.
============= Unfortunately, RedWeek has no control over the "provisional" weeks. The provisional week will not be available until the owner of that week has his/her request honored and the provisional week is deposited into the system. AND you may not get first shot at that week anyway. My suggestion would be for you to deposit your week as Provisional; if you have high a demand week, maybe the dominoes will fall and you will get the week and resort you want. If not, you did not lose anything. If you have not already done so, I also recommend that you sign up to be notified when an exchange becomes available. Check for availabilities every morning

Mike N.
Aug 12, 2008

"My suggestion would be for you to deposit your week as Provisional; if you have high a demand week, maybe the dominoes will fall and you will get the week and resort you want. If not, you did not lose anything. "

Maybe I am not understanding how provisional weeks work, but I don't see any way that I can deposit a week as provisional with the proviso that I will give up the week when an week comes along that I want and that I CAN SOLICIT THE WEEKS THROUGH THIS SYSTEM for which I would be willing to give up my week. In fact, what I have seen is that when I get an alert that a week of interest has been deposited, it is always gone by the time I get the message. (I am on west coast time, and redweek weeks are not the first thing on my mind when I awake in the morning.) I KNOW that redweek doesn't have a way for me to contact the person who owns the provisional week. My post was an expression of my desire that redweek develop such a method - and my willingness to pay the exchange fee. I am not trying to get around the exchange fee - just trying to figure out how people like me with desirable weeks can be induced to deposit them.

Kathleen C.
Aug 12, 2008

kathy585 wrote:
"My suggestion would be for you to deposit your week as Provisional; if you have high a demand week, maybe the dominoes will fall and you will get the week and resort you want. If not, you did not lose anything. "

Maybe I am not understanding how provisional weeks work, but I don't see any way that I can deposit a week as provisional with the proviso that I will give up the week when an week comes along that I want and that I CAN SOLICIT THE WEEKS THROUGH THIS SYSTEM for which I would be willing to give up my week. In fact, what I have seen is that when I get an alert that a week of interest has been deposited, it is always gone by the time I get the message. (I am on west coast time, and redweek weeks are not the first thing on my mind when I awake in the morning.) I KNOW that redweek doesn't have a way for me to contact the person who owns the provisional week. My post was an expression of my desire that redweek develop such a method - and my willingness to pay the exchange fee. I am not trying to get around the exchange fee - just trying to figure out how people like me with desirable weeks can be induced to deposit them.

============= Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I've received valuations for some of my TS, but I never completed an exchange since I felt RedWeek was not consistant with their valuations (and that's another story). I just assumed that during the process of submitting a provisional week there was some sort of entry which allows you to indicate which resorts you will accept.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.