Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying timeshares (even resale)

Dec 16, 2006

wayneb24 wrote:
jayjay, i agree with you if you can rent the place for close to the maintenance fee, but that is rarely the case with 5 star resorts in high season unless you are looking at a place where there are a tremendous number of timeshares. I bought a timeshare in Antigua at a 5 star resort in Antigua several years ago and have had no difficulty renting it out for many times the maintenance fee.

I have rented many 5* and Gold Crown units for the cost of maintenance fees or below. With education and a lot of research on the internet, you can do the same. For instance, when you see a unit for rent at a resort and the rental is upcoming, most owners will negotiate their listing rental price. Also, when you see the same unit listed for rent for several weeks or months, the owner will more than likely negotiate their rental (or for sale) price.

Many owners just want to recoup their maintenance fees (or less) when renting, since there's a glut of rentals (and sales) on the internet and in the marketplace. It's a buyers and renters market.

The internet has been revolutionary in changing the timeshare rental and sales market.

R P.
Dec 16, 2006

Also, be aware when buying a timeshare that you are responsible for yearly maintenance fees as long as the week is in your name. In other words, you pay for the initial cost of the timeshare and you also pay to use it each year (maintenance fees).

That's why I suggest buying a timeshare if you can vacation only at certain times of the year (summer in popular areas, holidays in popular areas, winter ski season in popular areas or if you prefer a certain location or unit at a resort (re: oceanfront, poolfront etc.), and even then I would research rentals on the internet first to see what's available before purchasing anything.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Dec 17, 2006 08:22 AM

Dec 16, 2006

If you should decide to get into timesharing I would suggest purchasing points for their flexibility.

R P.
Dec 17, 2006

debra451 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

It all depends which Starwood Resort you purchase. I've checked in the past and there is certain resorts that carry the Starwood benefits. Call Starwood before you buy, snd they will tell you if you are covered.

Lenny

Deborah - Which Starwood Resort did you purchase at? I have found conflicting information on the use of the Starwood Vacation Network and StarPoints. I was just curious because one of the sources said it had to do with which resort you purchase. Thanks, Debbie

Langdon M.
Dec 27, 2006

I bought a timeshare through Timeshareadventures, but I wrote my own Purchase and Sales Agreement. I also called the Better Business Bureau to check them out. They had several complaints, but had settled all but one complaint. I suggest you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in their area. I agree that they don't really do the job that I expected, but things worked out for me. I would only use them again with great caution.

stanleyf5
Dec 28, 2006

langdonmic wrote:
debra451 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

It all depends which Starwood Resort you purchase. I've checked in the past and there is certain resorts that carry the Starwood benefits. Call Starwood before you buy, snd they will tell you if you are covered.

Lenny

Debbie,

I bought my original Starwood at Sheraton Mtn Vista in Avon, CO. That was thru the developer, so I have all the bennies. You can call Starwood to find out which resorts hols their Starwood bennies in resales. Some do and some don't. You have to check before you buy resale. I was told that buy Starwood when I was checking on buying more Starwood resale. You have to do your homework.

Lenny

Deborah - Which Starwood Resort did you purchase at? I have found conflicting information on the use of the Starwood Vacation Network and StarPoints. I was just curious because one of the sources said it had to do with which resort you purchase. Thanks, Debbie

Langdon M.
Dec 28, 2006

langdonmic wrote:
langdonmic wrote:
debra451 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:

Lenny

Debbie,

I bought my original Starwood at Sheraton Mtn Vista in Avon, CO. That was thru the developer, so I have all the bennies. You can call Starwood to find out which resorts hols their Starwood bennies in resales. Some do and some don't. You have to check before you buy resale. I was told that buy Starwood when I was checking on buying more Starwood resale. You have to do your homework.

Lenny

Responding to Lenny, Lenny, you state that Starwood descriminates against buyers of resale timeshares. I wonder how they can LEGALLY do that since you purchased a 'DEEDED' unit. If I buy a DEEDED house I can use it just as the original owners did. What gives these SCUMBAG TIMESHARE COMPANIES LIKE STARWOOD the right to do this! This is the kind of treatment from Timeshare Companies the INFURIATES me and the other MANY owners of Timeshares. We purchase a 'USED APARTMENT/CONDO' and are paying the SAME MAINTENANCE fees the original owner did, and therefore have the SAME RIGHTS as the original owners! We timeshare owners need to band together against these special interest Developers who are DUMPING their wares on the market at RIDICULOUS prices through HIGH PRESSURE SALES PEOPLE, and then HAVE THE GALL to tell us we can't sell our DEEDED unit to another person so they can pay the RIDICULOUS Maintenance fees and use it as we did.

Joe L.
Dec 28, 2006

stanleyf5 wrote:
I bought a timeshare through timeshareadventure ut I wrote my own Purchase and Sales Agreement. I also called the Better Business Bureau to check them out. They had several complaints, but had settled all but one complaint. I suggest you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in their area. I agree that they don't really do the job that I expected, but things worked out for me. I would only use them again with great caution.

i did! the Business Bureau clearly could not understand how a comany did not care. sent tax paper 4 times and they stated that they never got them. you state you wrote your owner Sales Agreement, then why would you pay them to sell and or closes the deal. this company ever call me back after after calling and calling. i loss closes to 3000. and "TIMESHARE ADVENTURE"KNOW IT. I WAS SCAM BY THE SELLER (R. ORR)AND THE COMPANY TIMESHARE ADVENTURE", EVER CHECKED TO SEE IF THE SELLER HAD WHAT SHE STATED AND CHARGING ME FEE FOR DOING THE PAPER WORK .ALSO NEVER GIVING ME THE INFO SO I COULD CHECK. BUT STATING THEY DID. TIMESHARE ADVENTURE NEW THEY MADE A MISTAKE. BUT IT WOULD COST THE TO MUCH TO MAKE IT RIGHT.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND: THIS WAS TO BE AND WAS POSTED AS (ON TIMESHARE ADVENTURE WEB PAGE AND BY PHONE.) 2 BEDROOM UNITE....NOT.. ONE BEDROOM (INSIDE UNITE) FLOATING UNITE... NOT.... THERE ARE NO FLOATING UNITE..""WEEK 2" WAS CHARGE BACK TAXES FOR THIS UNITE 2006 MAINTANCE FEE......OVER $1000

TIMESHARE ADVENTURE. SELL FEE. 450. TIMESHARE ADVENTURE DID NOT CARE ABOUT ME A SENOIR.

IT WAS BETTER FOR A SENOIR TO LOSS THEN TIMESHARE ADVENTURE TO LOSS. LOOK. SOUNTHERN CALIFORNIA BEACH CLUB, OCEANSIDE.

Mary V.
Dec 29, 2006

joel382 wrote:
langdonmic wrote:
langdonmic wrote:
debra451 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:

Lenny

Debbie,

Lenny

Responding to Lenny, Lenny, you state that Starwood descriminates against buyers of resale timeshares. I wonder how they can LEGALLY do that since you purchased a 'DEEDED' unit. If I buy a DEEDED house I can use it just as the original owners did. What gives these SCUMBAG TIMESHARE COMPANIES LIKE STARWOOD the right to do this! This is the kind of treatment from Timeshare Companies the INFURIATES me and the other MANY owners of Timeshares. We purchase a 'USED APARTMENT/CONDO' and are paying the SAME MAINTENANCE fees the original owner did, and therefore have the SAME RIGHTS as the original owners! We timeshare owners need to band together against these special interest Developers who are DUMPING their wares on the market at RIDICULOUS prices through HIGH PRESSURE SALES PEOPLE, and then HAVE THE GALL to tell us we can't sell our DEEDED unit to another person so they can pay the RIDICULOUS Maintenance fees and use it as we did.

It's not just Starwood that does this. I also have a Marriott that I bought resale, do I get Marriott Rewards, NO. I think it's the same with Fairfield points and all the rest of the developers. If you buy resale they consider it a stand alone unit that you can trade within II or RCI. The way that I look at is that if you want all the benefits that are associated with the Starwood, Marriott, And Fairfield etc.., you pay the developer price, and if you just want a nice unit in a brand name resort you buy resale. it must be legal. The problem is the resales that are so far underpriced. Something that you pay $14000 for you lucky if you can sell it for $5000 Lenny

Langdon M.
Jan 16, 2007

Over the years my husband and I found that we tended to rent timeshares for the space and leaned toward Hilton and/or Marriott properties. We listened to other folks who purchased time shares and the horror stories of not being able to exchange their points or scrambling to use there points because they would lose them etc. We attended several time share presentations over a two year period and carefully learned how each Resort worked their points, exchanges, RCI and II. As a result we bought a Hilton property for 1/4 of the going rate for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath property in Florida in a platinum time frame ever the internet. I researched both the realty company and obtained my own title company for the sale. Our yearly maintenace fee is $600.00. When we take our grandchildren to Disney World we stay at our home resort. However, most years we split our time and take two weeks vacation in sunny locations such as Los Cabos or the Carribean. Whatever you buy you should never pay full price, you need to fully understand how the system works. Sometimes this means putting some effort into planning. However, we have had 5 star vacations every year without the 5 star price! At this point we could sell our time share for what we paid for it. So if you ask was it worth it - I say yes!

Cheryl S.
Jan 17, 2007

cheryl, EVERYONE should read your post below. Before you bought into timesharing you researched, researched and researched some more and then found a resale in a system you preferred, after doing your research, and where you could easily get your money back if you sold. This is the absolute perfect way to buy into timesharing. Kudos to you and here's to you enjoying timesharing for years to come :o).

cheryls168 wrote:
Over the years my husband and I found that we tended to rent timeshares for the space and leaned toward Hilton and/or Marriott properties. We listened to other folks who purchased time shares and the horror stories of not being able to exchange their points or scrambling to use there points because they would lose them etc. We attended several time share presentations over a two year period and carefully learned how each Resort worked their points, exchanges, RCI and II. As a result we bought a Hilton property for 1/4 of the going rate for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath property in Florida in a platinum time frame ever the internet. I researched both the realty company and obtained my own title company for the sale. Our yearly maintenace fee is $600.00. When we take our grandchildren to Disney World we stay at our home resort. However, most years we split our time and take two weeks vacation in sunny locations such as Los Cabos or the Carribean. Whatever you buy you should never pay full price, you need to fully understand how the system works. Sometimes this means putting some effort into planning. However, we have had 5 star vacations every year without the 5 star price! At this point we could sell our time share for what we paid for it. So if you ask was it worth it - I say yes!

R P.
Jan 19, 2007

vlahos wrote:
THERE ARE COMPANY TO BE CAREFUL WITH! be very very careful,with this company.

Timeshare Adventures,inc.

everthing when wrong with my transaction. was not a 2 bedroom, it was a one bedroom. was not floating, it was week 2. was charge, 2006 maintance fee, that should not have been charge. contacted this company. that it was my mistake, not theirs. stay away.

just got former owners tax bill in my name, for 2005 and 2006 with all the penalties. do these poeple know what they are doing?

again stay away for this company.

Timeshare Adventures,inc.

Has anyone had experience purchasing with HolydayGroup. I am considering buying through them and would like to know their history and reputation.

George F. R.
Jan 19, 2007

Holiday Group has a good reputation in the resale market, however be sure that everything they advertise concerning the week is correct. They have been known to make mistakes at times. In other words, make sure the week # is right, the number of bedrooms is correct, number of baths, season, maintenance fees, etc.

They have sold thousands of timeshares.

R P.
Jan 25, 2007

jayjay wrote:
If you should decide to get into timesharing I would suggest purchasing points for their flexibility.

Let's say I currently own 105,000 points at Fairfield Grand Desert. How do I go about purchase additional points to add to my 105k?

Archie B.
Jan 26, 2007

Points are one thing that I am not very educated in as we owned all fixed weeks. But I would check around to see what the going rate is for Fairfield points. I believe there's a Fairfield yahoo group, but I don't know what their url is. You might find it by googleing 'fairfield yahoo group'.

jayjay wrote:

Let's say I currently own 105,000 points at Fairfield Grand Desert. How do I go about purchase additional points to add to my 105k?

R P.
Jan 26, 2007

archie, I think I have found the Fairfield yahoo group's url. They will be able to answer any questions you may have concerning anything Fairfield:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fairfield_timeshare/

R P.
Feb 03, 2007

True. The best thing you can do is as much research as possible. Timeshares played out like the gold rush. There were a few good finds at first, where people saved or even made money. By now the markete is well-staked out, so you really have to do your homework to ensure you won't get screwed. Good luck!

Hugh R.
Feb 04, 2007

wayneb24 I agree with you if you can rent the place for close to the maintenance fee, but that is rarely the case with 5 star resorts in high season unless you are looking at a place where there are a tremendous number of timeshares.

I have rented many 5* and Gold Crown units for the cost of maintenance fees or below. With education and a lot of research on the internet, you can do the same. For instance, when you see a unit for rent at a resort and the rental is upcoming, most owners will negotiate their listing rental price. Also, when you see the same unit listed for rent for several weeks or months, the owner will more than likely negotiate their rental (or for sale) price.

Many owners just want to recoup their maintenance fees (or less) when renting, since there's a glut of rentals (and sales) on the internet and in the marketplace. It's a buyers and renters market.

The internet has been revolutionary in changing the timeshare rental and sales market. ========================================

{PHIL]

We have a friend and his family that have gone on vacation with us couple times. I tried talking him into a buying at The Ridge Tahoe with us and he wanted no part of owning one.

Dale would give me all the reasons from low-lifes selling to high MF and rising cost and waiting for trades and I couldn't argue his points. As a owner three different times over the last 13 years I new he was right and we bought because we like more than a hotel room and wife has to have her kitchen when you spend seven days some where.

They like timeshares and have rented over the last five years. He showed me why they would never buy a timeshare and he has taken four vacations plus ones with us. He mention all the draw backs owners have and said the worse thing that happens to him is he doesn't rent a unit at a resort he liked. He said he then trys another resort. He's out nothing but a little time.

He proved his point couple years ago when we went with his family to Cancun. He asked us which condo's we would like to stay in and when. We gave him a two week period three months before vacation time for us.

He entered all the e-mail addresses in his e-mail listings.

He then showed me his e-mail to condo owners at two resorts we liked. He offered half price of what the average asking price was. The condo's listed around $1800 for two bedroom summer time.

Dale added all the addresses to the e-mail so all the owners would see they were not only owners this offer was sent to stating the amount he would pay for that weeks and to please let him know because he would take first offer. One resort had about 30 units for rent during those two weeks.

I told him there is no way he will get a unit at that price and he said their last four vacations around the country were done the same way.

He sent his e-mail and over next couple days had e-mails from some blow hearts telling him he was out of his mind but he could rent their unit for $2000. Dale sent quick e-mail just saying no thanks. Within the next three weeks he had seven owners e-mailing him to make the deal for his price. We had great week and over drinks he rubbed it in about us owning a timeshare. This two bedroom cost him about $500 more than my MF at The Ridge.

Funny part is two weeks from time we were leaving he gets e-mails from two of the blow hearts asking if he was still looking for a unit and would agree to his price.

Dale and his family would never buy, but he said he would buy same way and wouldn't be paying thousands of dollars to an owner. He said he could buy at my resort just by getting owners offers off about five sites and sending same e-mail and probley not spend more than $1500 for a top unit and I think he could do it without much trouble. Funny thing is this is so simple and not many buyers think about this.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 04, 2007 11:23 PM

Feb 05, 2007

phil, your friend is very smart :o).

No timeshare investment, no closing costs, no maintenance fees, no surprise special assessments, no belonging to an exchange company and the escalating costs of doing so, no trying to sell (or having to give away) the timeshare when no longer wanted along with the hassles of trying to sell.

He merely rents, and he does his homework and lots of research before doing so. Very, very wise man .........

R P.
Feb 05, 2007

phill12

wayneb24 wrote:
I agree with you if you can rent the place for close to the maintenance fee, but that is rarely the case with 5 star resorts in high season unless you are looking at a place where there are a tremendous number of timeshares.

The internet has been revolutionary in changing the timeshare rental and sales market. ========================================

{PHIL]

We have a friend and his family that have gone on vacation with us couple times. I tried talking him into a buying at The Ridge Tahoe with us and he wanted no part of owning one.

Dale would give me all the reasons from low-lifes selling to high MF and rising cost and waiting for trades and I couldn't argue his points. As a owner three different times over the last 13 years I new he was right and we bought because we like more than a hotel room and wife has to have her kitchen when you spend seven days some where.

They like timeshares and have rented over the last five years. He showed me why they would never buy a timeshare and he has taken four vacations plus ones with us. He mention all the draw backs owners have and said the worse thing that happens to him is he doesn't rent a unit at a resort he liked. He said he then trys another resort. He's out nothing but a little time.

He proved his point couple years ago when we went with his family to Cancun. He asked us which condo's we would like to stay in and when. We gave him a two week period three months before vacation time for us.

He entered all the e-mail addresses in his e-mail listings.

He then showed me his e-mail to condo owners at two resorts we liked. He offered half price of what the average asking price was. The condo's listed around $1800 for two bedroom summer time.

Dale added all the addresses to the e-mail so all the owners would see they were not only owners this offer was sent to stating the amount he would pay for that weeks and to please let him know because he would take first offer. One resort had about 30 units for rent during those two weeks.

I told him there is no way he will get a unit at that price and he said their last four vacations around the country were done the same way.

He sent his e-mail and over next couple days had e-mails from some blow hearts telling him he was out of his mind but he could rent their unit for $2000. Dale sent quick e-mail just saying no thanks. Within the next three weeks he had seven owners e-mailing him to make the deal for his price. We had great week and over drinks he rubbed it in about us owning a timeshare. This two bedroom cost him about $500 more than my MF at The Ridge.

Funny part is two weeks from time we were leaving he gets e-mails from two of the blow hearts asking if he was still looking for a unit and would agree to his price.

Dale and his family would never buy, but he said he would buy same way and wouldn't be paying thousands of dollars to an owner. He said he could buy at my resort just by getting owners offers off about five sites and sending same e-mail and probley not spend more than $1500 for a top unit and I think he could do it without much trouble. Funny thing is this is so simple and not many buyers think about this.

Very true with rentals also... especially towards the end of the year, when the unused points will be expiring. For every unreasonable owner who wishes to stick to principle, there will be several owners who understand 'real world' economics and who will rent out at lower than their asked price to re-coup their maintenance fees. The past two years we've been able to rent a deluxe 2 bedroom unit at the luxurious Fairfield Grand Desert in Las Vegas for less than $100 per night. I'm happy to pay somebody else's maintenance fees for a quality place like Grand Desert.

Archie B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.