The Manhattan Club

the manhattan club

Jul 05, 2007

hollyw32 wrote:
what makes me so angry is when I call to book and they tell me nothing is available I check Expedia.com and guess what for $439. I can have a room that I own! believe it or not they still have rooms for Thanksgiving weekend on Expedia. I wish I could start a petition for all unhappy owners to present at the board meeting and demand they take our rooms off Expedia and the other discount hotel sites!

Send the complaints to: New York State Office of the Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo Bureau of Investor Protection and Securities 120 Broadway New York, New York 10271 (212) 416-8200 (phone) (212) 416-8816 (fax)

Frank V.
Jul 05, 2007

hollyw32 wrote:
what makes me so angry is when I call to book and they tell me nothing is available I check Expedia.com and guess what for $439. I can have a room that I own! believe it or not they still have rooms for Thanksgiving weekend on Expedia. I wish I could start a petition for all unhappy owners to present at the board meeting and demand they take our rooms off Expedia and the other discount hotel sites!

I would gladly sign a petition.

Frank V.
Jul 05, 2007

frank972 wrote:
hollyw32 wrote:

Send the complaints to: New York State Office of the Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo Bureau of Investor Protection and Securities 120 Broadway New York, New York 10271 (212) 416-8200 (phone) (212) 416-8816 (fax)

here is a letter we are sending:

New York State Office of the Attorney General (212) 416-8200 Andrew M. Cuomo fax: (212) 416-8816 Bureau of Investor Protection and Securities 120 Broadway New York, New York 10271

Dear Mr. Cuomo:

We purchased a timeshare biweekly unit at the Manhattan Club, Seventh Avenue, New York City approximately 6 years ago. In the past we had been able to book our days one at a time or however we chose and had no problem. But this year we have been told there are no days for us to book. We have been trying to book a day or two every month for the whole remainder of 2007 and have been told there are no days available. They claim they are renovating and have rooms that are down and not useable. Yet if you go online to the websites of Expedia or similar sites, the Manhattan Club is available for rental and promotions (which the Manhattan Club itself is offering). There are many other owners in this same predictament and not able to use their week and are considering filing a Class Action lawsuit. The complaints are piling up on the Redweek Forum under the subject of Manhattan Club. The owners are also trying to get a petition signed by all the disgruntled owners and present it to the Board.

We don't understand how they can get away with allowing strangers to use rooms that we as owners cannot use.

I am writing this letter in the hopes that there might be something you can do to look into this matter and get to the bottom of it.

Yours truly,

Frank V.
Jul 05, 2007

frank972 wrote:
hollyw32 wrote:

I would gladly sign a petition.

Here is a sample of our letter:

New York State Office of the Attorney General (212) 416-8200 (phone) Andrew M. Cuomo (212) 416-8816 (fax) Bureau of Investor Protection and Securities 120 Broadway New York, New York 10271

5 July, 2007

Dear Mr. Cuomo:

We purchased a timeshare biweekly unit at the Manhattan Club, Seventh Avenue, New York City approximately 6 years ago. In the past we had been able to book our days one at a time or however we chose and had no problem. But this year we have been told there are no days for us to book. We have been trying to book a day or two every month for the whole remainder of 2007 and have been told there are no days available. They claim they are renovating and have rooms that are down and not useable. Yet if you go online to the websites of Expedia or similar sites, the Manhattan Club is available for rental and promotions (which the Manhattan Club itself is offering). There are many other owners in this same predictament and not able to use their week and are considering filing a Class Action lawsuit. The complaints are piling up on the Redweek Forum under the subject of Manhattan Club. The owners are also trying to get a petition signed by all the disgruntled owners and present it to the Board.

We don't understand how they can get away with allowing strangers to use rooms that we as owners cannot use.

I am writing this letter in the hopes that there might be something you can do to look into this matter and get to the bottom of it.

Yours truly,

Frank V.
Aug 03, 2007

Hi all- Has anyone else received their annual maintenance fees on their credit cards? I always was billed in Dec. Last year they sent letters around saying they were changing when you are billed and we got one in Oct for approx$1300. My credit card was charged in June over $1800. Did maintenance fees go up that much- and why am I now being billed 9 months after I paid in 2006? Anyone out there have a clue? I haven't had a chance to call them. I'm really getting fed up with them. Thanks for any answers! Holly

Holly W.
Aug 14, 2007

Holly, I normaly go to owners meeting every year ,but I miss this year(aug.1st) so afther reading your post I call and was told there is no extra funds and the refurbish and that the sponcer no longer pays anything towards upkeep as the club is sold out, except for the metropolitan suites and so owners now has to pay the full price of upkeep, my junior studio is now$ 1612 and my one bedroom is $1919 problem is the sponcer controll the board and no one can get a straight answer from board members, reply is normaly read your contract its bad Howard

Howard B.
Aug 20, 2007

and was told there is no extra funds and the refurbish and that the sponcer no longer pays anything towards upkeep as the club is sold out, except for the metropolitan suites and so owners now has to pay the full price of upkeep, my junior studio is now$ 1612 and my one bedroom is $1919 problem is the sponcer controll the board and no one can get a straight answer from board members, reply is normaly read your contract its bad Howard

I called the MC today and was told my maintenance fee would be $1,600.(double from last time.) They said they mailed a letter of explanation three months ago, which I did not receive. Said they would email it to me and after several hours--nothing. It is unbelievable that this can happen. I wonder what I could get for it. I guess we're all in the same boat. Thank God I didn't buy a penthouse suite!

Colleen K.
Aug 21, 2007

No wonder there are no rooms available. I had no idea that one could get a room here on expedia and hotels.com for just about any date for $350 to $439/night. I fully intend to write a letter to Andrew Cuomo. I think that we are getting ripped off. The administration also exchanges rooms with RCI which we all agreed to but I asked the management to consider dropping this but they refused. Does the money go to reduce our fees or does it go to the owner? I would like to figure out a way to unite the owners. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Jonathan P.
Aug 22, 2007

There is nothing short of aclass action lawsuit, the sponsor control the board , he appoints 3 board members, and himself president, owners only get to vote for two board members, so no matter the good intentions of the 2 board members,the sponsor vote and his appointement's and himself , is 4 votes to 2 for owners, sponsor state to me that new york timeshare law is that once sponser own one unit he control the board and he will always own couple units, we need all owners that is tick off to rite to the atty. General Andrew Cuomo,if he gets enough letters I am shore he will look into it, then file a class action suit Howard

Howard B.
Aug 22, 2007

I'm back again. I called the mc on Mon. bcause I was not told what the maintenance fees would be this year. They said a letter went out 3 months ago( I did not receive it--did you?) Anyway, our fees will be $1600. double from 2 years ago. (We own eoy) They sent me the letter via internet, but now I can't download it. How can they double fees just like that? We hope to sell, but I suppose it will be hard to sell because I think a lot will be for sale. If they would have maintained the units very well, I would not feel so negatively about all of this. We were so happy to own there, but we feel differently now.

Colleen K.
Aug 23, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
There is nothing short of aclass action lawsuit, the sponsor control the board , he appoints 3 board members, and himself president, owners only get to vote for two board members, so no matter the good intentions of the 2 board members,the sponsor vote and his appointement's and himself , is 4 votes to 2 for owners, sponsor state to me that new york timeshare law is that once sponser own one unit he control the board and he will always own couple units, we need all owners that is tick off to rite to the atty. General Andrew Cuomo,if he gets enough letters I am shore he will look into it, then file a class action suit Howard

I also own a junior suite and a one bedroom unit at the Manhattan Club. When we bought several years ago, we were told that the maintenance fee would always be low because the Manhattan Club did not have any of the expensive facilities such as a golf course, banquet rooms or swimming pool. Now they try to justify the extradinarily high fee by comparing the cost to similar room rentals in NYC. They tend to forget that we paid $20,000 to 35,000 to own the property, not rent it. A significant contributor to the maintenance fee is the Management fee. This fee is 20% of our Timeshare charges. Thus, as our maintenance fee goes up, so does the Management charge.

Our Maintenance fees our completely out of line and I also encourage all owners to write to the attorney general for some guideance in this matter.

Rich

Richard F.
Aug 28, 2007

richard484 wrote:
howardb21 wrote:

I also own a junior suite and a one bedroom unit at the Manhattan Club. When we bought several years ago, we were told that the maintenance fee would always be low because the Manhattan Club did not have any of the expensive facilities such as a golf course, banquet rooms or swimming pool. Now they try to justify the extradinarily high fee by comparing the cost to similar room rentals in NYC. They tend to forget that we paid $20,000 to 35,000 to own the property, not rent it. A significant contributor to the maintenance fee is the Management fee. This fee is 20% of our Timeshare charges. Thus, as our maintenance fee goes up, so does the Management charge.

Our Maintenance fees our completely out of line and I also encourage all owners to write to the attorney general for some guideance in this matter.

Rich

I emailed several of the people with the Owner's Group in NY state. Two people responded and said we should get the owner list from the MFC board of directors.I really doubt we could get that from them) They indicated that they know owners of the MC who are very disatisfied with the situation. I had gotten their e addresses from Timesharing Today. One said that we could contact the head of Timesharing Today because he is also an attorney and has helped owners in similar situations. She said that writing letters to government officials only helps if you have a great number of people doing so. She said they get away with this because there's usually not enough owners that will be actively involved. Please respond ------thank you Colleen

Colleen K.
Aug 29, 2007

frank972 wrote:
hollyw32 wrote:

Marco P.
Sep 04, 2007

It seems to me the Manhattan Club has engaged in some pretty deceptive practices and seemingly fradulent practices. Were any of you told that your timeshare units would be available to the general public through discount travel websites, and that you would have to compete with them for a unit? Did you have any idea the pool of units would be diluted because the Manhattan Club sold rooms to discount broker services? I am in the same boat! I have 3 weeks of timehare at the MC and cannot get the time I want. However, if I go to the Expedia website there are rooms available for the very time I want to visit the MC.

Peter B.
Sep 04, 2007

I am seriously considering pursuing a class action against the Manhattan Club for what appears to be fradulent business practices. I own 3 weeks of timeshare at MC and have had some of the same experiences many of you have had. If you would like to contact me I can be reached at Docdefender@hotmail.com.

Peter B.
Sep 04, 2007

peter717 wrote:
I am seriously considering pursuing a class action against the Manhattan Club for what appears to be fradulent business practices. I own 3 weeks of timeshare at MC and have had some of the same experiences many of you have had. If you would like to contact me I can be reached at Docdefender@hotmail.com.
Peter, I would be very supportive of this measure especially if it would force the MC to divulge the names of all the owners. The developer, who is also Chairman of the Board of the Homeowner's Association forever or until he voluntarily gives it up, has not been willing to share this info. I attended a HOA meeting in August of 2006 and it was a complete waste of time. If we could communicate with each other (there are over 13,000 owners) we could have some power. Everyone I have spoken to feels that we are getting ripped off. How come I can get time in the MC through EXPEDIA and I can't through reservations? Anyway keep me posted. Jonathan

Jonathan P.
Sep 04, 2007

Jonathan:

I have reviewed the Manhattan Club document entitled Reservation and Occupancy Confirmation Procedures. I do not see anything which gives the Management Company the right to sell/allocate any usage at the Manhattan Club to companies such as Expedia. In fact, I see nothing which allows Management to rent any rooms to the general public except the following language:

"Bonus Time: The Management Company's right to rent to Owners and/or the general public those use periods which remain unreserved seventy-two (72) hours prior to the first day thereof."

I do not know whether the time Expedia posts as being available is time that has actually been sold to Manhattan Club owners and is subject to maintenance fees and taxes. It is possible the Manhattan Club has some units that have not been sold and which are not charged maintenance fees. If this is the case, I imagine it would be legal for the Management Company to release these rooms to Expedia.

I personally want to use 2 nights in December. I have been on a waiting list but I have been informed there is still no availability. However, when I go on Expedia I can pay to book the 2 nights I want. This does not seem right and I am going to try and get a clear cut answer from the Manhattan Club. If not, I am an attorney and have no misgivings about proceeding with whatever legal action is necessary against the Manhattan Club, it developers and Management Company.

Peter B.

Last edited by peter717 on Sep 04, 2007 08:20 PM

Sep 05, 2007

peter717 wrote:
Jonathan: Peter, I have reviewed the Manhattan Club document entitled Reservation and Occupancy Confirmation Procedures. I do not see anything which gives the Management Company the right to sell/allocate any usage at the Manhattan Club to companies such as Expedia. In fact, I see nothing which allows Management to rent any rooms to the general public except the following language:

"Bonus Time: The Management Company's right to rent to Owners and/or the general public those use periods which remain unreserved seventy-two (72) hours prior to the first day thereof."

I do not know whether the time Expedia posts as being available is time that has actually been sold to Manhattan Club owners and is subject to maintenance fees and taxes. It is possible the Manhattan Club has some units that have not been sold and which are not charged maintenance fees. If this is the case, I imagine it would be legal for the Management Company to release these rooms to Expedia.

I personally want to use 2 nights in December. I have been on a waiting list but I have been informed there is still no availability. However, when I go on Expedia I can pay to book the 2 nights I want. This does not seem right and I am going to try and get a clear cut answer from the Manhattan Club. If not, I am an attorney and have no misgivings about proceeding with whatever legal action is necessary against the Manhattan Club, it developers and Management Company.

I wish we could contact more owners, but we'll never be able to get the list from the MC. Did you read earlier from me that the man heading Timesharing Today is also an attorney and has helped owneres of resorts. I am really upset that the MC can double the maintenance fees and want us to pay them two months prior to when we're accustomed to paying for them. Can they do that? Lord knows what they'll be next time. Thanks Peter, for your willingness to do something about this. What can I do? Colleen

Colleen K.

Last edited by pixie on Sep 05, 2007 04:11 PM

Sep 05, 2007

Colleen- I used to pay my fees in Dec. Last year I was billed in Oct. this year 8 months later I was billed over $1900! I know when we bought they told us it was a private time share and the general public would not have access to rooms- this is the 2nd year I have had difficulty booking rooms. We use our 7 days a day or two at a time. For the record I didn't receive any notice via or mail stating they were increasing the fees or changing the billing month. I've had it up to here with the excuses reservations give- when I first called them about expedia (last year) they said no way were they on there- a supervisor was supposed to call me back- but that never happened. I said I understand that if 2 weeks before a date there are vacant rooms ,by all means try to rent them however possible- but more than 9 months( which is what owners are allowed to reserve) rooms shouldn't be out for the general public to scoff up leaving us roomless!! I say we protest outside the MC that should get their attention!!! Holly

Holly W.
Sep 05, 2007

hollyw32 wrote:
Colleen- I used to pay my fees in Dec. Last year I was billed in Oct. this year 8 months later I was billed over $1900! I know when we bought they told us it was a private time share and the general public would not have access to rooms- this is the 2nd year I have had difficulty booking rooms. We use our 7 days a day or two at a time. For the record I didn't receive any notice via or mail stating they were increasing the fees or changing the billing month. I've had it up to here with the excuses reservations give- when I first called them about expedia (last year) they said no way were they on there- a supervisor was supposed to call me back- but that never happened. I said I understand that if 2 weeks before a date there are vacant rooms ,by all means try to rent them however possible- but more than 9 months( which is what owners are allowed to reserve) rooms shouldn't be out for the general public to scoff up leaving us roomless!! I say we protest outside the MC that should get their attention!!! Holly

Oh I know Holly, it is so frustrating. Did you read prior to these messages from Peter? He emailed me and said he's calling the MC tomorrow to see what he can find out. By the way, if a protest is planned, I'll strongly consider flying from Alaska to be there. Let's keep communicating Thanks Colleen

Colleen K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.