Club Land'Or Resort

Can't even give them one star

Feb 03, 2010

It appears that we have at least the beginning of a group. I am prepared to support any legitimate action against Club Land'or. Whenever you arrange legal representation, I would like to be included. Post the information and I will make contact.

William B.
Feb 03, 2010

can i get the words you used in your complaint to your attorney general so I can avoid reinventing the wheel? Im sure there are many similiar issues.

David G.
Feb 03, 2010

Thanks everyone-- can't wait to hear how the attorney's visit went. I will send a registered letter about the new assesment and email the attorney general.

Lets keep this going!!!

Brook P.
Feb 03, 2010

Deleted

John S.

Last edited by johns2184 on Sep 17, 2011 06:42 AM

Feb 04, 2010

I am definitely interested in joining in any action against Land'Or. A copy of your letter to the attorney general would be helpful in drafting my letter and would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at tevetts@aol.com.

Tevetts E.
Feb 04, 2010

I got out of my contract the same way everyone else I know did - I quit paying. They took me to court - there were around 11 for Club Land'Or on the docket but only 4 showed up - I guess the others got scared and paid. Anyhow, it was continued until we could talk to someone at Land'Or that they gave us. This was to try and settle out of court. I offered them a little less than half of the back fees I owed and for that I wanted out of my contract. They accepted. And believe me I kept the letter of release. I did lose my initial investment and all the fees I paid over the years due to harrassment, etc. I also lost monies I paid to companies to get out of and rid of this thing - don't bother wasting your money there! I still will do anything I can to help and would really like to go after my initial investment+ . I have all my paperwork from the day I started with them (Aug. 2001) and have it all in order as I was ready for court. I debated continuing in court because I know someone else who did and won, paid nothing, and got out of his contract - but if I lost(eventhough I didn't think I would) I was going to have more trouble because I lost my job in June and am currently unemployed. I really wanted out of the contract and I had14 years left. I still believe they did, and continue to, defraud, deceive and harass people. Perhaps we should also consider a picket outside their sales office in Virginia Beach. I couldn't remember where they were located until I found my initial invitation to visit - haven't driven past there yet to see if they're still in the same location.

Mary A.
Feb 04, 2010

Just received an e-mail from a VA attorney I contacted. He has been involved with a couple of Land'Or cases and mine is the second letter to him this week he said. I gave him some general info. and he'll be back in his office Monday. I'll keep you posted.

Mary A.
Feb 05, 2010

deleted

John S.

Last edited by johns2184 on Sep 17, 2011 06:43 AM

Feb 05, 2010

Address of the Virginia Attorney General

Office of the Attorney General 900 East Main Street Richmond, VA 23219 (804) 786-2071

Brook P.
Feb 05, 2010

keep me updated. I'm going to refuse to pay this $699 assessment and see what happens. How long have you not been paying. Will they take you to court? If so do you have to go to Virgina. Pleae contact me calleja586@comcast.net

Yvonne C.
Feb 05, 2010

how do you look at the cases regarding club land or. can you go to court in your own state?

Yvonne C.
Feb 06, 2010

I sent an email to the attorney general's office in Va. They said that if I send a letter they will contact me. I will ask about the folks out of state or you can call. 804 786-2071

Brook P.
Feb 06, 2010

Yes, you can go in and find general court info. like names of case participants and case outcomes.

Ok, fellow Land'Or people, I just received an e-mail back from the attorney I contacted. He said that he has also received another new complaint. Anyhow, I am finally going to speak with him on Monday, by other than e-mail. He will telephone me on Monday. I will let you know what he says as soon as I talk with him. I think our help may be here.

Mary A.
Feb 06, 2010

In answer to your question regarding taking them to court in your state...I don't think so. I think as the plaintiff in a court case you must go to where the defendant is. (at least that is what you need to do in NYS). So I don't know how they have jurisdiction over a person that resides anywhere else but VA. I know that in a civil matter in NYS, the plaintiff needs to sue the defendant in the city of the state that they reside. But I don't know the laws in VA. As far as a class action, I gave all the information I have to an attorney yesterday. He looked it over briefly, but said that he believes that an attorney in VA needs to start the class action, but he will look further into it. I have already spoken to at least 4 attorneys, but I am starting to feel like I am back to square one (being here in New York) and my hands are tied. But, I am passionate about this and will do whatever I can. Will keep you posted about what this attorney says, but I don't know how long that will take.

Kathleen S.
Feb 08, 2010

I'm back after speaking with the VA attorney. He has probably handled more timeshare cases than any other attorney in VA. He said the laws in VA related to timeshares are very poor and definitely favor the developer. Land'Or is exempt from much of it because these are "right to use" agreements rather than right of estate or "deeded" properties. Therefore, they can basically funtion without having a owners association, yearly financial reports to the members, etc. They also then have the right to basically charge any fees they want and as much as they want. However, they cannot function fradulently. For instance, when I became a member, the fees were to maintain the resort and special assessments were to be for specific items. I received a special assessment letter that said it was to pay for building a new building. Using my money for a new building would be fraud because that's not what I agreed to. Likewise, I had a special assessment to pay for hurricane damage, but someone from the resort told me there was little or no hurricane damage. That is fraud. A letter I received in 2005 said the special assessment was to pay fro new roof, etc., then I received an assessment in 2007 that said it was to pay for a new roof, etc. - that would be fraud. So he said you then have to prove fraud which can be done by way of these contradictory and incriminating letters, letters from people there who know there was no hurricane damage and maybe geological and weather reports, etc. If you can prove fraud then the court would order them to submit an accounting, and the legislators would also stand up and take note. If they are found guilty of fraud, they could be closed down, but that doesn't mean you get your money back, but it would get you out of your contract. In order to consider a class action suit to do this you need people, many people, like 1000 would be great. I know there are that many out there but they all have to agree to the same problems and be willing to join the action. Everyone would have to give their names and addresses and any proof of fraud to one person. This would take a lot of time, work and dedication, but if someone wants to get it together, I can help you with people to contact from court cases, and if we get a strong enough case, I think this attorney will continue to advise. So what do you think? People can also be those who have already been to court with LAnd'Or. Does anyone want to volunteer to take this on?

Mary A.
Feb 08, 2010

P.S. the attorney said that the Attorney General in VA does not handle this type of consumer problem. There is a committee that does but he said they are a joke and run by the biggest timeshare developer in the state, maybe the country.

Mary A.
Feb 08, 2010

Deleted

John S.

Last edited by johns2184 on Sep 17, 2011 06:44 AM

Feb 09, 2010

Johns-- My wife and daughter went to Land Or in November. The conditions and amenities were very poor. The staff was nice-the conditions not their fault. When you go next month take a lot of pictures (my wife did not). Poke around (neighboring establishments) to see what was done or not done.

By the way- Mary is exactly right - the Attorney General's office does not deal with items like this. Years ago I wrote the Better Business Bureau- but it did not go any where.

If we - as a group - could collectively get all our old statements, then prove that they did not do the work, we may be succesful in documenting the fraud.

Here is a sample of what we have gone through the last year: September 26, 2008- maintenance fee $837.99 September 26, 2008 – SPC fee $50.28 October 23, 2009 Special assessment $549.00 October 29, 2008 Refurbishing fee $289.00 March 31, 2009 Budget assessment $270.25 September 29, 2009 Maintenance fees $900.84

$2,897.36 paid in one year.

After all the assessments my wife and daughter were excited about a November visit. However the room obviously had not had any work done in years. My wife’s most recent visit November 2009 the room had these problems: 1. Broken sliding door 2. Leaking refrigerator 3. Kitchen had bad orders 4. Dirty old carpet 5. The room was dimly lit 6. The electricity did not work all the time 7. the tv did not work at all 8. The pans in the kitchen were disposable 9. There was no dishwashing soap 10. The plastic chairs on the balcony were dirty

The rest of the “resort” was in horrible shape: 1. The fountain was not running 2. The water in the fountain trough was stagnant and ugly 3. The pool was clean the first day and not cleaned the rest of the week 4. The hot tub was dirty

January 29, 2010 I receive a new assessment for $699.00, Renovation assessment. Another assesment when none of the others appear to be completed.

The point Mary and her attorney makes is that there is a real chance that there is fraud because the last few assessments have not improved the conditions of the resort. The hurricane damaged roof should have been covered by insurance etc etc. Furthermore there is a level of management that our yearly maintenance fees should cover (clean water in the pool, clean rooms etc) that should meet a minimum standard.

Does anyone want to volunteer to gather the info and copies of receipts? We could all look for other land or victims. This is probably not the only website with handles complaints and we should be able to track more and more down.

Brook P.
Feb 09, 2010

Do you think that the folks who own Atlantis would help us out? Bet they have an interest in helping us put pressure on these folks. Landor is a shantytown they've had to build around.

David G.
Feb 10, 2010

When my wife was there in November the word is Atlantis would love to buy the property. But Land Or has a cash cow that can send out as many assessments as they want to everyone. If any one can or will get in touch with them that would be great.

Brook P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.