The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta

Questions for those who have been there

Jan 11, 2008

I just read these comments about the grand mayan . An aweful lot of these comments do sound like people on the inside trying to explain the benefits of buying these properties. Making their experience appear to shine too much in a good light. I am wondering who these people really are. Maybe they are the resort salespeople or actual resort shareholders. There is way too much detail about what "goodies" you get when you upgrade or buy there. It is very suspicious to me. The GM sales force are very aggressive people while you visit there. They are constantly selling, calling your room, sending you over to the "breakfast desk" etc. I believe it is continuing here too. Maybe someone should look into this possibility so the readers are completely informed about the source of the material. It is assumed that we are all only guests at resorts.

Meryl N.
Jan 11, 2008

mer1 wrote:
I just read these comments about the grand mayan . An aweful lot of these comments do sound like people on the inside trying to explain the benefits of buying these properties. Making their experience appear to shine too much in a good light. I am wondering who these people really are. Maybe they are the resort salespeople or actual resort shareholders. There is way too much detail about what "goodies" you get when you upgrade or buy there. It is very suspicious to me. The GM sales force are very aggressive people while you visit there. They are constantly selling, calling your room, sending you over to the "breakfast desk" etc. I believe it is continuing here too. Maybe someone should look into this possibility so the readers are completely informed about the source of the material. It is assumed that we are all only guests at resorts.

Hi there,

In respose to this comment, I have written some of the wonderful comments about the resort. I am a guest there just like you. I have only made these comments because I signed up on Redweek for the forum, so when I saw the negative comments a few days ago from this women, I felt it necessary to voice my own point of view. I have never actually initiated a forum comment except when I visited the new Grand Mayan in Cabos in August to tell people about it.

I'm sorry that you don't trust these comments. Believe me when I tell you that no one from the Grand Mayan sales office has the time or the inclination to waste their time on this website. There are hundreds of websites which advertise this resort to people for rent.

We own there because we love it. We started by owning at the Mayan Palace 8 years ago and upgraded to the Grand Mayan when it was offered to us. We have bought additional property from them and upgraded to a higher profile because we like the product.

I do believe that this woman might have had a bad expericence. Things can go wrong with any resort. Resorts like people are not perfect, and problems can arise. But, for this one woman to have SO MANY things go wrong within a one week period? Maybe a few things could have happened. But every conceivable problem you could think of? How could that happen to one person. It's like a TV sit-com!

Believe what you will. I own at the Grand Mayan, as I do at many other resorts. Because I love the properties, the cities they are in and love travelling to other places that are different from my own.

Beth F.
Jan 11, 2008

ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:

Hi there,

In respose to this comment, I have written some of the wonderful comments about the resort. I am a guest there just like you. I have only made these comments because I signed up on Redweek for the forum, so when I saw the negative comments a few days ago from this women, I felt it necessary to voice my own point of view. I have never actually initiated a forum comment except when I visited the new Grand Mayan in Cabos in August to tell people about it.

I'm sorry that you don't trust these comments. Believe me when I tell you that no one from the Grand Mayan sales office has the time or the inclination to waste their time on this website. There are hundreds of websites which advertise this resort to people for rent.

We own there because we love it. We started by owning at the Mayan Palace 8 years ago and upgraded to the Grand Mayan when it was offered to us. We have bought additional property from them and upgraded to a higher profile because we like the product.

I do believe that this woman might have had a bad expericence. Things can go wrong with any resort. Resorts like people are not perfect, and problems can arise. But, for this one woman to have SO MANY things go wrong within a one week period? Maybe a few things could have happened. But every conceivable problem you could think of? How could that happen to one person. It's like a TV sit-com!

Believe what you will. I own at the Grand Mayan, as I do at many other resorts. Because I love the properties, the cities they are in and love travelling to other places that are different from my own.

Hi. We are owners at GM NV as well. Two weeks. We are not heavy duty timeshare owners. We'll probably never invest in another property but just a few comments about Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta. It's a beautiful resort. Do I have complaints? Yes, but it's mostly with the sales thing - they're aggressive and our sales guy wasn't happy that we didn't upgrade - but we got our free breakfast & a free tour - one does what they must :0)... Do we have an option to go? Yes. Do we go? Yes (twice to NV - once to Acapulco, once to PV). Do we buy/upgrade? Yes & No. As I said in a previous message, they wanted us to double our investment in GM. For us, it's not worth the price. So we did not upgrade, but we'll continue to visit with the ownership we have.

Do we enjoy our visits to GM? Yes. Are the resorts nice? Yes. Are the facilities nice? Yes. Is the food at the restaurants great? No. But that's not why we go. We are experienced time share/condo rental vacationers so we know the drill... do you? There are wonderful restaurants in town - the drive is long so you just have to weigh if it's worth the cost/drive to you. We take a drive to Sams & Walmart & stock up for breakfast/lunch in the room. There are some local places to eat that are quite good. Are you adventureous? Try it, if you're not, you might find some interesting places. And, if you want to be closer to town, stay in Puerto Vallarta - the resort is not as nice or big but it's still a good place to visit.

We visit tropical islands a lot. St. John, St. Thomas, Tortola, Aruba, Maui, Kauai, Grand Cayman.... and in Mexico - Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Acapulca, PV... you get the idea. It's the tropics. It's humid and the weather takes its toll on facilities. We vacated one room at GM NV our last visit because of a leak in the room - then it was fine. Did we argue for an oceanview? You bet. We got one but the 2nd room overlooked the parking lot.

We had kids - ages 10, 13, 22, 23 & 25. They had a good time. The pools are great - the games and entertainment are hokey but fun (it's Mexico)... the gym is great... the beach sucks compared to the Caribbean but there's a decent beach. The time you have is as good as you let it be. Decide to have a good time and you will. Cheers.

San B.
Jan 11, 2008

Didn't think I would write again, but who can resist? Yes, the GM is so bad that we just bought another 2 weeks! We have no desire or intension of renting these weeks, and do you really think anyone who says positive things about the GM is being devious? This dish washing thing is being batted around adnauseam. Did you ever consider washing the dishes yourself if you have such a phobia about germs? I hate to keep this going but what is your beef about turning in dirty towels, we have always had ours collected each day by housekeeping. Let it go.

Kenneth A.
Jan 12, 2008

kennetha37 wrote:
Didn't think I would write again, but who can resist? Yes, the GM is so bad that we just bought another 2 weeks! We have no desire or intension of renting these weeks, and do you really think anyone who says positive things about the GM is being devious? This dish washing thing is being batted around adnauseam. Did you ever consider washing the dishes yourself if you have such a phobia about germs? I hate to keep this going but what is your beef about turning in dirty towels, we have always had ours collected each day by housekeeping. Let it go.

I did wash all the dishes myself and returned the towels everyday so I can get my towel card back. otherwise I would have had to go back on the long line to the front desk and wait for them to write up another one. It is simply not a five star resort that makes you do these things. The beef is that you all call it 5 star. Its a 3 star at best. Again this is my opinion. If you do not care about filth than I am sure you will enjoy all Graand Mayans fine. When I travel and go to resorts I like it to be c lean before I get there!

Meryl N.
Jan 14, 2008

Give me a break!! If the Mayan Palaces are awful, you ought to stay away! I think they are wonderful and I'm a germaphobic! Of course I wash my own dishes before I use them at all resorts including Marriot's and any hotels I might go to. I pull up all mattresses to check for bedbugs, I look in the closets and under dressers, I side view the tops of tables etc. just to be sure they are clean. I hated the Mayan Palaces sales force, and I did not buy because of them but I kept going. Now I own time there, as well as other places, and I can say they have one of the nicest and cleanest resorts anywhere. I think you just can't stand to see others have such a great experience at a place where you did not enjoy yourself. Sorry you had such a rotten time! Don't go back! But to say that the majority of people won't have a good time because you didn't. Or, that we must not mind filth is a real "I'm so much better than you that it is beneath me to see what you see" attitude! It's a beautiful and clean resort. And for any of the Caribbean areas that's unusual. Most places I've been to are beneath this resort.

I bought second-hand and could care less if anyone else wants to buy or go. And if you think too many people are making their experience "shine in too good a light" maybe it's because too many people have a great experience and love the place. There are people that you can't please and there are people who will NOT be pleased by something that others rave about, just to show how much better and smarter they are than everyone else.

Sorry if you are these kind of people, or sorry if you had bad luck! Oh yeah, if any resort should get 5* the Grand Mayan should get it!

PS. The water park at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta is the only pool area I've ever seen that has as much to offer at any resort. Sorry your son got hurt. I bet you can't take him to Disney either. Now THAT place really is filthy and aging! But WE still enjoy it.

Orville F.

Last edited by orvillef2 on Jan 14, 2008 02:43 AM

Jan 15, 2008

Has anyone driven from GM NV to GM in Acapulco? I have booked a week at each in June (back-to-back) and was wondering if anyone knows what the drive would be like.

The family is really looking forward to going.

--Rod

Rod B.
Jan 15, 2008

orvillef2 wrote:
Give me a break!! If the Mayan Palaces are awful, you ought to stay away! I think they are wonderful and I'm a germaphobic! Of course I wash my own dishes before I use them at all resorts including Marriot's and any hotels I might go to. I pull up all mattresses to check for bedbugs, I look in the closets and under dressers, I side view the tops of tables etc. just to be sure they are clean. I hated the Mayan Palaces sales force, and I did not buy because of them but I kept going. Now I own time there, as well as other places, and I can say they have one of the nicest and cleanest resorts anywhere. I think you just can't stand to see others have such a great experience at a place where you did not enjoy yourself. Sorry you had such a rotten time! Don't go back! But to say that the majority of people won't have a good time because you didn't. Or, that we must not mind filth is a real "I'm so much better than you that it is beneath me to see what you see" attitude! It's a beautiful and clean resort. And for any of the Caribbean areas that's unusual. Most places I've been to are beneath this resort.

I bought second-hand and could care less if anyone else wants to buy or go. And if you think too many people are making their experience "shine in too good a light" maybe it's because too many people have a great experience and love the place. There are people that you can't please and there are people who will NOT be pleased by something that others rave about, just to show how much better and smarter they are than everyone else.

Sorry if you are these kind of people, or sorry if you had bad luck! Oh yeah, if any resort should get 5* the Grand Mayan should get it!

PS. The water park at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta is the only pool area I've ever seen that has as much to offer at any resort. Sorry your son got hurt. I bet you can't take him to Disney either. Now THAT place really is filthy and aging! But WE still enjoy it.

Thanks for your comments. I thought I was one of the only people that was so annoyed with this woman's comments and her questionable bad experiences considering how many people must view this forum.

Thanks! B

Beth F.
Jan 24, 2008

ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:
kennetha37 wrote:
In response to the person complaining about the GM, I can only guess that we must stay at a different NV GM than they do. First, the lazy river is just what it implies LAZY, the rapids are only for a brief period for a reason,to provide something different, any Lazy river I have ever encountered did NOT a time for 'rapids" .The service is beyond reproach, the rooms and common areas immaculate. And, you can hardly hold the resort responsible for the type of sand on the beach for heaven sake. We stay at the GM up to 9 weeks a years, and have nothing but praise for the resort. You do not sound like seasoned travelers, you expect to go to a foreign country and have it be like just like home. This is why one travels, to experience new things and different cultures. Do yourself a favor, go to Disney World nexttime, it is no less than you deserve. OH yes, the fee for unwashed dishes is $50.00 or about 500 pesos, NOT $500 dollars. You folks need to get a life!

When someone says the sand is beautiful it needs a coment from someone whois honest. the sand is not soft and white which is what people are hoping for. I never said it was the resorts fault they have this sand only when they claim its nice does it put them at fault. why are the guests asked to wash dishes and return dirty towels if its so high quality. I travel all over the world and have been to Itlay and Greece, Croatia, Monico, Hawaii, Jackson Hole, Quebec, Sardinia, to name a few. yes Disney too! I have never been treated so poorly. You obviously own there so you cannot say it is bad or your investment tanks. Readers, do you believe it is OK and sanitary to have previous guests wash the dishes for your family?.... the cost is irelevant. I dont believe anyone who says Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta is a good place, is being truthful. we will have to let the ones who have not been there yet decide who to believe. Its a bad choice yes go to Disney it is clean in their resorts.

Kenneth,

I agree with everything you have said to this woman who obviously has it in for this phenomenal 5*plus resort. I am so tired of hearing her complain almost daily. Who really cares about how she feels anyway.

Thanks for your input. It was much appreciated. And we love it there as well. We are going to Cabo with 2 other couples next month. Saw the place in August right before they opened and it's spectacular. Heard they broke ground in Hawaii. Yeah!!!

Beth

Beth: I'm here in Cabo right now and am an owner of Grand Mayan. Still have not been able to book into any. But, decided to tour the Cabo Grand Mayan.....Found that the pool does not have a heater. It is cold here in January. It is 52 some mornings. So, the facilities can't be used some of the time. The hot tubs were not heated either. The fire pits did not work. Also, the heat in the rooms didn't work. Talked to several people that were staying there. One couple left and walked up the road to another place and others were buying blankets. This to me does not sound like a 5 star resort. We talked to the head people in the lobby and they just smiled and said they didn't know anything about the heat in the pool. This was on a day with clouds also. So, only one couple bundled up sitting outside. No one was there, looked rather deserted. The sales people were there in force saying, yes this is the heated dip poool. I got tired of hearing their lies and left. Sandra

Sandra T.
Jan 24, 2008

ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:

Hi there,

I just want people who want to know the complete facts about this resort, without a clouded view from an owner. I suggest you do not stop after reading this forum. Go to some sites where they are visitors reviewing not owners. They have no reason to have a one sided view. Owners want to rent and of course they bought there so they have to see the good side. search reviews grand Mayan off the redweek site.

Meryl N.
Jan 24, 2008

sandra920 wrote:
ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:
kennetha37 wrote:
In response to the person complaining about the GM, I can only guess that we must stay at a different NV GM than they do. First, the lazy river is just what it implies LAZY, the rapids are only for a brief period for a reason,to provide something different, any Lazy river I have ever encountered did NOT a time for 'rapids" .The service is beyond reproach, the rooms and common areas immaculate. And, you can hardly hold the resort responsible for the type of sand on the beach for heaven sake. We stay at the GM up to 9 weeks a years, and have nothing but praise for the resort. You do not sound like seasoned travelers, you expect to go to a foreign country and have it be like just like home. This is why one travels, to experience new things and different cultures. Do yourself a favor, go to Disney World nexttime, it is no less than you deserve. OH yes, the fee for unwashed dishes is $50.00 or about 500 pesos, NOT $500 dollars. You folks need to get a life!

When someone says the sand is beautiful it needs a coment from someone whois honest. the sand is not soft and white which is what people are hoping for. I never said it was the resorts fault they have this sand only when they claim its nice does it put them at fault. why are the guests asked to wash dishes and return dirty towels if its so high quality. I travel all over the world and have been to Itlay and Greece, Croatia, Monico, Hawaii, Jackson Hole, Quebec, Sardinia, to name a few. yes Disney too! I have never been treated so poorly. You obviously own there so you cannot say it is bad or your investment tanks. Readers, do you believe it is OK and sanitary to have previous guests wash the dishes for your family?.... the cost is irelevant. I dont believe anyone who says Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta is a good place, is being truthful. we will have to let the ones who have not been there yet decide who to believe. Its a bad choice yes go to Disney it is clean in their resorts.

Kenneth,

I agree with everything you have said to this woman who obviously has it in for this phenomenal 5*plus resort. I am so tired of hearing her complain almost daily. Who really cares about how she feels anyway.

Thanks for your input. It was much appreciated. And we love it there as well. We are going to Cabo with 2 other couples next month. Saw the place in August right before they opened and it's spectacular. Heard they broke ground in Hawaii. Yeah!!!

Beth

Beth: I'm here in Cabo right now and am an owner of Grand Mayan. Still have not been able to book into any. But, decided to tour the Cabo Grand Mayan.....Found that the pool does not have a heater. It is cold here in January. It is 52 some mornings. So, the facilities can't be used some of the time. The hot tubs were not heated either. The fire pits did not work. Also, the heat in the rooms didn't work. Talked to several people that were staying there. One couple left and walked up the road to another place and others were buying blankets. This to me does not sound like a 5 star resort. We talked to the head people in the lobby and they just smiled and said they didn't know anything about the heat in the pool. This was on a day with clouds also. So, only one couple bundled up sitting outside. No one was there, looked rather deserted. The sales people were there in force saying, yes this is the heated dip poool. I got tired of hearing their lies and left. Sandra

Sandra,

Okay! Now you are making me nervous. My sister and brother in law were there over Christmas week and the weather was gorgeous and they said the resort was beautiful. They didn't say anything either about the pool being cold...maybe they didn't go in it!

Have you called the Grand and told them what you saw and heard?

I actually have a number of a supervisor that I have spoken to in the past when I had a problem. I am going to try and contact him today and see what he has to say about all of your comments. I will let you know if you care, if not, jut thanks for what you had to say. I really appreciate it!

Since we are leaving to go there in 3 weeks, I want to know as much as I can.

Beth

Beth F.
Jan 25, 2008

ira10 wrote:
sandra920 wrote:
ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:
kennetha37 wrote:

Kenneth,

Beth

Sandra,

Okay! Now you are making me nervous. My sister and brother in law were there over Christmas week and the weather was gorgeous and they said the resort was beautiful. They didn't say anything either about the pool being cold...maybe they didn't go in it!

I actually have a number of a supervisor that I have spoken to in the past when I had a problem. I am going to try and contact him today and see what he has to say about all of your comments. I will let you know if you care, if not, jut thanks for what you had to say. I really appreciate it!

Beth

I guess they found another way to save money.

Meryl N.
Jan 28, 2008

mer1 wrote:
ira10 wrote:
sandra920 wrote:
ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:
kennetha37 wrote:

Kenneth,

Beth

Sandra,

Beth

Beth: Did you find out anything about the no heat in the pools and the Cabo Grand Mayan? I'm home now and am wondering if I'd ever want to go back there.

Sandra

Sandra T.
Jan 28, 2008

sandra920 wrote:
mer1 wrote:
ira10 wrote:
sandra920 wrote:
ira10 wrote:
mer1 wrote:
kennetha37 wrote:

Kenneth,

Beth

Sandra,

Beth

Beth: Did you find out anything about the no heat in the pools and the Cabo Grand Mayan? I'm home now and am wondering if I'd ever want to go back there.

Sandra

Hi Sandy,

Not yet. I emailed customer service and forward them your email from this website without telling them where it came from. I have yet to hear back from them. I plan on calling the resort directly and speaking with the concierge this week before we leave in a couple of weeks. I have to do that anyway to make some dinner reservations. I will let you know what if any feedback I receive from them.

I will also let you know what I find out on my own after I come back from my own vacation there. I do know someone that was there just this week and the weather has warmed up so that's a plus. But the water has to be heated in the pool. Obviously. And especially if it is cold out in the evening they should have the fire pits going. That's what they were built for!

We'll see! Beth

Beth F.
Apr 08, 2008

I would like to take a group of 17 year old boys there Spring Break -- March 21st --- are there lots of kids there?? They wants lots of kids their own age. We just returned from Cancun Palace and there really weren't that many kids -- lots at the moon Palace. Also how expensive is the food at the resort? Are there restraunts close by outside of the resort?

Susan K.
Apr 08, 2008

susank261 wrote:
I would like to take a group of 17 year old boys there Spring Break -- March 21st --- are there lots of kids there?? They wants lots of kids their own age. We just returned from Cancun Palace and there really weren't that many kids -- lots at the moon Palace. Also how expensive is the food at the resort? Are there restraunts close by outside of the resort?

the kids there are mostly spanish speaking. if that is what you are looking for than that is nice. For my son it was not much fun.. Go to harborside at atlantis instead! this place reallluy sucks! the staff are really aweful

Meryl N.
Apr 08, 2008

Hi Susan,

The Grand Mayan in Nuevo is terrific, but not really a place for 17 year old boys for spring break. We took a group of kids to Puerto Vallarta last year. My husband and I and my other kids and friends stayed at the Grand Mayan, and my boys who were seniors stayed closer to the downtown Perto Vallarta at another of our timeshares near the Marina. That way they could take a taxi into town at night where all the action was and of course all of the bars. They met up with alot of their friends from home that were there with their parents as well.

The used to meet us for dinner every night in town (P.V.), of course, we were paying, and then they would stay in town and hang out with their friends.

The Grand Mayan in really far for them to travel into town every night and this is where they are going to want to be during spring break. The resort is way to upscale and luxurious for kids to be able to afford going there on their own....so it's not like a place where there will be teenagers hanging out.

So, if you want to stay with them, you can stay there, but know they will be taking a taxi into town every night to the bars where all the action is. That is downtown Puerto Vallarta. There really isn't anywhere for them to go around the resort in Nuevo.

I hope that answers your questions. If you need somewhere else for that week. let me know and maybe I can help.

Beth

Beth F.
Apr 09, 2008

ira10 wrote:
Hi Susan,

The Grand Mayan in Nuevo is terrific, but not really a place for 17 year old boys for spring break. We took a group of kids to Puerto Vallarta last year. My husband and I and my other kids and friends stayed at the Grand Mayan, and my boys who were seniors stayed closer to the downtown Perto Vallarta at another of our timeshares near the Marina. That way they could take a taxi into town at night where all the action was and of course all of the bars. They met up with alot of their friends from home that were there with their parents as well.

The used to meet us for dinner every night in town (P.V.), of course, we were paying, and then they would stay in town and hang out with their friends.

The Grand Mayan in really far for them to travel into town every night and this is where they are going to want to be during spring break. The resort is way to upscale and luxurious for kids to be able to afford going there on their own....so it's not like a place where there will be teenagers hanging out.

So, if you want to stay with them, you can stay there, but know they will be taking a taxi into town every night to the bars where all the action is. That is downtown Puerto Vallarta. There really isn't anywhere for them to go around the resort in Nuevo.

I hope that answers your questions. If you need somewhere else for that week. let me know and maybe I can help.

Beth

Is this the Beth that went to the Cabo Grand Mayan in February? I wanted to know if the heaters were working in the pools yet?

Sandra

Sandra T.
Apr 09, 2008

Hi Sandra,

Yes...it's me! And no they are not. There was a problem with them when they were put in. Whomever designed the pools never did it properly and they never put in enough. They have been in the process of having many more built and the pool is supposed to be closed sometime the month of April if all goes as planned. At that time they will install all of the new heaters and the pool should be working just fine. We actually went around to the side of the resort and saw all the enormous heaters (boilers) which were turned off because they couldn't do the job anyway.

The resort by the way is just spectacutar in every other way. My friends and I went to the spa a few times and it was terrific. The grounds are beautiful. We didnt eat dinner at the resort at all. Just lunch around the pool and it was actually very very good.

We loved it but we also love the enitre Los Cabos area so we will definetly we be going back there alot.

Hope this answers all of your questions. By the way, the fire pits were not working when we were there. They were having problems with them,,,but we were out for dinner every night anyway so it really didn't effect us. They are great thought with wonderfual couches all around them so when they are wodking they should be just great.

Beth

Beth F.
Apr 10, 2008

This place is horrible and I will never go back. Its dirty, it had bad help, its badly managed, poorly designed. It's really very funny how emotional people get defending such a place. I had a bad experience there, and why that is so irritating to people is really beyond me.

Meryl N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.