Ask RedWeek

Interval international non-rental claus

May 24, 2014

Omni Cancun

Thomas L.
May 25, 2014

You call your resort to obtain a specific date, the same as if you were going to stay there yourself.

Problem you are going to face renting your unit is there is an abundance of Mexican AI resorts. You would need to reserve the most in demand time (like week 52 if possible) and even then it may be difficult to find a renter to cover your MF's depending on the additional costs required for the all inclusive. Make sure you find out from the resort if the AI is mandatory or optional for renters and the cost per person.

Tracey S.
May 25, 2014

tjlatta wrote:
How do I pay my annual maintenance fee and reserve a week without "depositing" it with II ? Do I just call me club and reserve a week directly with the club? I thought I always had to go through II.

II is an exchange company only .. they are only involved if you choose to deposit your week for an exchange.

R P.
Aug 02, 2019

I believe RCI and II put the rental clause in to benefit Developers and RCI AND II. Unsold inventory of Developers and the Exchange companies is rented out by them. If every timeshare owner could assign their exchange reservation for "rent", the Developers and exchange companies would have difficulty selling their their unsold inventory. The Exchange Companies, I have heard keep many of the best weeks for themselves to rent. As a result, the members do not have enough access to prime weeks... and many members build up points that just expire.

From a timeshare owner standpoint, the ability to rent your timeshare exchange... and make money or more likely, just cover your annual resort maintenance fees plus membership fees plus exchange fees....... the ability to rent would increase the resale value of your timeshare! And as you know by now, the resale market for timeshares is dismal. The market is horrible because Developers and Exchange companies have grossly abused timeshare buyers.... they misrepresent the value of the property, they misrepresent the ease of exchange and they have almost decimated a truly great idea..vacation timeshare ownership. I sat through a Wyndham timeshare presentation this year, and they were only interested in selling units in their Wyndham resorts exchange. As a matter of fact, they even told me RCI , which is owned by Wyndham, kept their best inventory to rent themselves... so they said you need to buy a Wyndham timeshare to swap for any Wyndham resort ... the cost at 50% of "value " per the salesperson if purchased that day would only be $29,000! The owner of RCI is having their salespeople tell potential Wyndham owners that RCI is crap and you'll never get what you want through RCI!

Wyndham has, by the way, at least 4 different Wyndham timeshare program varieties.... just so they can continue to try bring out new Wyndham products every couple of years...to entice existing Wyndham owners to pay again for what they paid an exorbitant price for to begin with!

If Antitrust laws were enforced anymore, they wouldn't be allowed to intentionally degrade the value of the RCI system to force the industry into private branded Developer exchange programs...i.e. WYNDHAM, HILTON GRAND and a bunch of others.

If I own my timeshare week, deeded, I should have no restrictions on my renting it. If I deposit it into RCI or II for a Reservation at a different resort... that Reservation Contract should be mine to do with as I please also. They charge both a Reservation fee and a Guest fee, so it's not likely that you could make a profitable business out of renting exchange vacations..... As Owners, those people trying to rent exchange vacations are paying maintenance fees to keep their home resorts in business...they aren't "Slimy ".... they provide a resale market necessary to keep the timeshare industry viable.

Just my opinion! I am skeptical of the motives of companies that grossly exaggerate, lie to and abuse the public!

Exchange companies like RCI and II ,for the benefit of consumers, should be Co-Ops owned by the members as a Non Profit organization existing only to benefit their members. It's a shame that the timeshare exchange industry hasn't evolved into such a format.

jayjay wrote:
narenr wrote:
Its finally a business !! Wont be renewing with II again. The non rental clause is a deal breaker and has same bitter aftertaste as Goldman Sachs clients. For those that don't know, GS was front running trade orders (to get the stock cheaper) ahead of their own wealthy clients !! How do you win ?

The reason II and RCI do not allow rentals of exchanges is to keep people from exchanging for the most sought after resorts/locations then renting them out making it a profitable business .... it's to protect you, the owner, to be able to get those exchanges.

William E.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.