General Discussion

Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Sep 01, 2015

Be SMART! Don't buy points. If you like a location, buy the deeded unit in the after market. I have 2 Maui and a Palm Spring Winter week. The points it takes to go to these Units if 3-5 times higher than I could sell my units for.

The only reason Marriott came up with this program was because the bottom dropped out of the market. I love my units, and will always use them, before I give them to my family. The 9100 points I would get, if I were to pay to join the program, would never get me the same units at the same times if I only had points. For example, my winter week in the Deasert would cost you about 40000 points, but they will only give me 3100. I can not get a comparable place at that time for that amount.

If you like Newport Coast, buy it for way less than the points.

Bob P.
Sep 01, 2015

Bobp,

Yes, your analysis is logical for those of us who find a Marriott property, season, and location desirable. Both of your properties are high value Marriott properties, and will trade well (if you choose.)

No doubt that sites such as Redweek do have Marriott inventory at very reasonable prices.

In terms of maintenance fees, it is logical to expect that these fees shall continue to increase.

The question is given a minimal capital outlay (in the secondary re-sales market,) can one rent the same property for less than the annual maintenance fee?

DrRonald H.
Sep 01, 2015

We agree strongly. Why we weren't able to get all old unit owners together to stop the ability of Marriott to devalue our units and put points for sale in resorts that were already SOLD OUT! We were told we could use points to get weeks I. The newer units in Maui at Christmas, New Years!!! It has NEVER happened and we tried e dry year. Finally caught a 3 bdrm

klalaw
Sep 01, 2015

Actually, my units in Maui are in the original Hotel Conversions. There was no way I was going to give up my 1BR anytime unit for 2900 points that wouldn't get me any good location for that amount. I bought in Maui, because I like Maui. I think that is the key. You must like what you buy.

Before the points, I traded my efficacy unit in PD through II for 1 and 2 BR's at every Marriott location I would ever care to go to. They ruined that also.

Bob P.
Sep 02, 2015

Agree totally with your last paragraph. We've owned (2) in AZ since 2003 .. one EY and one EOY (odd). We signed up for the destination points program "only" to eliminate the associated trade, lock-off, etc. fees. Will never use the point system as we do not have enough to trade for other resorts such as Hawaii or even the Caribbean and refuse to purchase additional.

However, I did purchase a re-trade through Marriott at the place where we own the other (2) in AZ .. only we purchased EOY (even) for a fraction of the cost we paid years ago. Seem to be better off purchasing the re-trade vs. additional destination points at almost $13.00 per point at a minimum of 1500 points ..

I purchased where I did because we go there with other (3) couples and share the units. And EOY, we go to Palm Springs/Desert where they own .. works out quite well .. No, it's not like it used to nor will it again. I've read alot of the complaining for years regarding this Destination Points Program on other forums and all is the same .. but it's not going to change back to the way it was (UNFORTUNATELY) .. JB

Jack W.
Sep 29, 2015

Aloha Everyone!

Some great analysis here lately. I just took my annual Maui vacation, stayed in Kihei at the Maui Schooner, ocean front, ocean view, very nice deluxe 2-br condo with e.g. outstanding high quality furniture, typical b-level condos have that cheap rattan. In my free time, I went to Ka'anapali often. Also checked out the Hyatt Residence Club, a new timeshare development, not only was it very nice and new, they are selling fixed deeded weeks in both annual and bi-annual offerings. Its directly next door to Marriott Maui which we all know is in super high demand, but the best thing about Hyatt is there no point system for timeshare usage (although there might be for Hyatt Hotel usage) It's interesting to notice how this high end timeshare business model has gone full circle. To me, the best part about a fixed deeded week is you know you will go, in theory. No procrastination, no indecision, no pushing it off for later. You have your fixed deeded week, you know when it is, it will always be 7-nights.

Phil J.
Oct 26, 2015

We have been timeshare owners for over 25 years and Marriott owners (4 deeded weeks and some purchased points) for over 15 years. I purchased two of my deeded weeks on the secondary market (at half the Marriott selling price) a couple of years before Marriott went to the point system. When they offered me the option to buy into the points program at a low original cost, they also offered to add in my two properties that I purchased outside of Marriott and receive full points value. Since they are all deeded I still have all my rights to book these properties at my home resort (without coverting to points), but if I want some extra flexibility I can convert to vacation club points or hotel points.

Due to the fact that with 4 resorts we could convert for around 18,000 pts. or so per year, this put me up in Marriott"s highest level and then also receive all those added benefits. To us this was a "no-brainer", we have been able to use our resorts when we want to and also the flexibility to stay from Wed to Wed. or just 5 nights depending our ever changing schedule. We have been very happy and feel that the program works very well for us. Recently we purchased another 2,000 points so we can have over 20,000 vacation points per year so we can really start to take advantage of the higher end trips offered through the Explorer Program.

The cost now to buy 20,000 pts. a year would be over $250,000.00, we have about $85,000 invested over several years.

The problem I see now for first time buyers is that if you can't afford at least 4,000 to 5,000 pts. you won't be able to do much with that few of points. Plus I can always sell one of my deeded weeks in the outside market (if I would need to) just like I would sell any other property. I have talked to Marriott and I am not convinced that it will be very easy to re-sell points. Because recently they have implemented that points sold on the secondary market will only be able to be used for short time ahead bookings. That would scare me if all points were purchased through the trust.

If there is somewhere you want to go to every year and you love it there (like Maui, Skiing, Aruba) you may just want to buy on the secondary market and save a ton of money. You won't be able to use it much in the Marriott system, but who cares if you just enjoy going to the same place every year. Or rent off Red Week, if you don't mind always dealing with other owners and making sure you definitely have a reservation.

One thing that has come true is how much hotel costs have gone up over the past 20 years, especially in cities like Boston, New York, San Fran., etc. Try to find a room in one of these cities at decent hotel for less than $400 a night. Now add in their resort fees, internet, parking, sales tax and city taxes (and whatever the city wants to add to your bill). A $400.00 per night room is now a $500.00 per night room after all the taxes and fees. This why we don't mind paying the maintenance fees. Not to mention if you take your family with you you may need to have 2 or 3 hotel rooms versus what a 2 bedroom villa will hold. We usually invite another couple to travel and stay with us and split the maintenance fee. Great deal for them versus booking a regular hotel room and it helps us with our costs, plus we are usually staying a great 2 bedroom villa with plenty of space (and a kitchen) at a wonderful resort.

For us the pros far out way the cons.

Mark B.
Dec 02, 2015

I am new to Redweek and new to the Marriott timeshare system. I called 13 months out, first thing in the morning and was able to get nothing in the Caribbean over New Years...NOTHING! I am just sick.

Is there any tricks to getting into the system ahead of that 13 month window? How does anyone get what they want?

I bought at Ritz Destination Club and turned 3 of my 4 weeks into Marriott DC points. That was a terrible mistake.

If anyone can give me any tips or point me in a direction on how to get somewhere warm at Christmas and New Years (2016/2017) please let me know!

Diane P.
Dec 02, 2015

Did you try Marriott on Kauai? There are three properties, the Poipu is very nice and the southern shore of Kauai is often very sunny. Or their high end Kauai Lagoons property was originally designed to be part of the Ritz Club. Kauai generally not as busy as Maui or Oahu.

Phil J.
Dec 02, 2015

If you do consider Hawaii, as suggested, try Ko Olina first. I have two at Maui Ocean and like Ko Olina best.

Unfortunately, the mistake you made was when you converted to points. I found that many of the owners who bought Maui and other similar destinations did not convert. Thus, there is not many units in their Points program. Owners like me, wouldn't get near enough points to go to a comperable location in the same season.

Good Liuck

Bob P.
Dec 02, 2015

Oh! Before anyone disputes my post, save it, I have heard it all.

Bob P.
Dec 03, 2015

Timeshare was sold to us telling us it's forever & you can pass it down to future generations.

Now there are tiers of hotels & if you don't go into the new point system you can stay at less desirable hotels and have great difficulty staying at upper end hotels. Our week in the new point system would be for a long weekend. We purchased a whole week that sleeps up to 8 people.Shame on you Marriott. We are all n the process of selling our time share for a loss & are done with this scam!

Cynthia B.
Dec 03, 2015

Still wonder why there wasn't a CLASS ACTION that prevented Marriott from doing this re the old timeshare system converting to points! Of course, they have the $$$ to have lawyers do the fine print but it is such a disappointment from the old system that worked so well to their selling of air. PLUS, I am told Marriott is OUT of timeshare this year????

klalaw
Dec 03, 2015

klalaw07 wrote:
Still wonder why there wasn't a CLASS ACTION that prevented Marriott from doing this re the old timeshare system converting to points! Of course, they have the $$$ to have lawyers do the fine print but it is such a disappointment from the old system that worked so well to their selling of air. PLUS, I am told Marriott is OUT of timeshare this year????

I have the old timeshare and I don't have to convert to points. I gave myself the option to do so. I still use my week at Ko Olina to stay there if I want to do so. Sometimes I convert to points if I want extra time and I will get more than a week using my points at other Marriott properties. Old owners like me. I feel I have what I've always had plus some extra benefits.

Charles S.
Dec 03, 2015

There is a class action already filed in Federal Court in Honolulu. I am not at liberty to discuss it further

klalaw07 wrote:

Michael F.
Dec 04, 2015

Would love for you to get me time at Christmas or week 53 offered next year due to checkins at Christmas day or new Years. On the old system i got it almost every time to be able to add extra family coming.....as was a selling point. Week 53 is no longer offered to holiday week owners it is put into Marriotts system. Since points it is IMPOSSIBLE and No I do not want to go off season that's why we bought expensive holiday weeks and now get in line with floating weeks people to book. You are VERY FORTUNATE to have good experiences. I too bought the points to add to my week and do not put holiday weeks into points as you do NOT get the same amount of time....reduced almost every couple of years. We have tried thats why I am not as positive as you.

klalaw
Dec 06, 2015

Thank you for the heads up will try to access information for myself and other non point owners!

klalaw
Dec 06, 2015

Cynthia, I am totally lost with your comments? What does your timeshare purchase have to do with hotels and tiers? One ( timeshare) is vacation club points and hotels is Marriott Reward points....two totally different programs. What am I missing??

Joy A.
Dec 06, 2015

We bought around 1985 in Orlando, Fl. Week is around spring break/Easter at Sable Palms for 1 week sleeps up to 8 people. Told it would be very easy to trade & go to all Marriott locations. Since then the area has a lot of timeshares. We were told we could trade points & the points would give us a flight, car, & timeshare for our one week. Since then many more timeshares have been built. We paid extra for a remodel one year. Our week is trading about 3-4 days in new point system - we give them thousands more so we can stay at higher end areas/timeshares and we should be excited about paying more & having a shorter vacation! We were in Maui 2 years ago & were told we were lucky to get there & would have trouble in the future unless we converted to the new point system. (Remember we were told our children would inherit this timeshare!). There are fees from Marriott / fees with interval. Vacations can be found for the same price or better than the timeshare and less hassle. We also have been given a timeshare in a far off area near garbage/ parking lot areas in Hilton Head & were told that's all they have because we weren't points members & were using Interval that was 4 years ago. Marriott you are not treating us like you did in the past! We have 2 weeks to use up & we will see how those go they are w interval now. It matters where the owned property is located & how many people want to go there. In Orlando when we'd want to take grandchildren Disney hotels have more to offer as far as park in/out earlier entrance & package deals. We are in the process of selling our week. Then we are free to go on vacation & not have such a hassle planning & when we are on vacation!

Cynthia B.
Dec 06, 2015

See my message below

Cynthia B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.