Dec 14, 2006

Has anyone else had disappointing stay at Calypso Cay? Our family purchased a bi annual unit one year ago. At first thought it was Great Resort. Now....Ok!We stayed on the property twice. Each time we had issues with rooms that had STRONG smoke smells. This last time we also had to complain about the lack of cleaning before we were even got in the door. We have young children who are all over the room floors, and furniture. It was not plesant to find sticky tile floors and carpeting that looked as if the animals just did messes. We did get some help to rectify the smells quickly. The cleaning of the rooms took a couple of days. We filled out comments form with what could be improved. No one even commented or apologized for the shape of room. The last thing is the resort seems to be going down fast. Lack of keeping facilities maintained and less help for general upkeep.

Eric G.
Dec 14, 2006

I agree. We bought when the resort was new. The first 3 years were fine but last year and the year before were a total disappointment. The appartment was dirty, I cleaned it myself. The spa bath was disgusting with dirt coming from the jets, the bed was falling apart and there was even drawing on the walls and furniture. I would say the whole place needs a face lift FAST. When you go to the desk no one wants to know and some of the staff are very rude, but the worst thing that we have found is actually trying to make the reservation.

Tina H.
Feb 24, 2007

i also own and found the same problem. i cleaned my unit myself so that i knew it was clean! when i complained i told them that they had housekeepers not house cleaners. they asked me if i wanted to change my unit and i told them no i just cleaned my unit why would i want to move and clean another one. i also had no toilet paper no hand towels they were so not ready for a check-in! they should of payed me a cleaning fee. i hope they get their act together because i actually like the place. i was also disappointed to find out that they didn't own the club house any more because i use to like to go to the pool over there. when you bought you thought you had a movie theater. a basket ball court, a pool table then you go and you don't have that right anymore. that was another turn off. the more i think of it the more i am thinking of selling. the last time i was there they tried to get me to buy a 3 bed room because i own a 2 bedroom at the present time. that was a NO. also have the time the treadmill was not working and they didn't even care. so i would have to go to the amerisuites and use their equipment because i couldn't go to the club house across the street. i learned that you really have to read into the fine print as far as what is part of the timeshare you are buying and what isn't.

Geraldine K.

Last edited by gerik on Feb 24, 2007 09:08 AM

Apr 01, 2007

I am very disappointed. I was told that I could exchange my two bedroom for two weeks in a one-bedroom anywhere in the world. Therefore, I deposited my two weeks with Interval International in Dec 2005. I have tried to exchange it for another place with NO LUCK. That is over one year without NO RESULTS! Plus. I had to pay $39/week to deposit the two weeks. Then they charged me $135 per week to get an exchange, which I never received. On Top of that, they keep raising the maintenance fee. The Maintenance fee is $720 this year. And yet the place is falling apart. You explain how many units they have times 52 weeks x $720. That comes to a hell of a lot of money. Where does it go? To the owners and managers – not to maintenance and upkeep. $720 + $270 + 78 = $1,068 That should buy a decent vacation someplace nice. And I cannot get an exchange anyway.

Good luck! Best, Jim

Jim M.
Apr 03, 2007

We just stayed at a 2 bedroom villa as an exchange through Interval. It took some persistance but Interval did come through with what we asked for. Our unit was spic and span clean. You could eat off the floor. Bathrooms were immaculate, beds comfortable and very nice bedding. The staff was extremely willing to give us anything we asked for. I certainly have no complaints, and I am generally a very fussy vacationer. I will go back again.

Susan F.
Apr 06, 2007

jimm271 wrote:
I am very disappointed. I was told that I could exchange my two bedroom for two weeks in a one-bedroom anywhere in the world. Therefore, I deposited my two weeks with Interval International in Dec 2005. I have tried to exchange it for another place with NO LUCK. That is over one year without NO RESULTS! Plus. I had to pay $39/week to deposit the two weeks. Then they charged me $135 per week to get an exchange, which I never received. On Top of that, they keep raising the maintenance fee. The Maintenance fee is $720 this year. And yet the place is falling apart. You explain how many units they have times 52 weeks x $720. That comes to a hell of a lot of money. Where does it go? To the owners and managers – not to maintenance and upkeep. $720 + $270 + 78 = $1,068 That should buy a decent vacation someplace nice. And I cannot get an exchange anyway.

Good luck! Best, Jim

Good Luck trying to sell. I (unfortunetly) own two weeks at Calypso Cay. Last year I tried to sell a three bedroom and and the most I was offered was $6500. I asked the sales manager if he would consider selling one of the units for me and he just laughed at me. I told him how unprofessional the entire sales department is and that he, himself had lied to us to get us to purchase the additional unit and guess what ? He just laughed again. I hope someone takes some interest in bettering the place before it gets much worse. Have you heard that there is no longer going to be a lazy river? It's just another zero entry pool with a slide or two.

Best of Luck , Linda

Linda V.
Apr 13, 2007

linda255 wrote:
jimm271 wrote:

Good luck! Best, Jim

Good Luck trying to sell. I (unfortunetly) own two weeks at Calypso Cay. Last year I tried to sell a three bedroom and and the most I was offered was $6500. I asked the sales manager if he would consider selling one of the units for me and he just laughed at me. I told him how unprofessional the entire sales department is and that he, himself had lied to us to get us to purchase the additional unit and guess what ? He just laughed again. I hope someone takes some interest in bettering the place before it gets much worse. Have you heard that there is no longer going to be a lazy river? It's just another zero entry pool with a slide or two.

Best of Luck , Linda

did you end up taking the offer of $6500?

Geraldine K.
Dec 26, 2007

jimm271 wrote:

Good luck! Best, Jim

Thats interesting Jim. We've owned our 3 bed timeshare at CC for 2 years and have had similar experience and trouble with exchange etc. Just about to set off for a one week stay at CC so we'll see what its like. We've still got 2 weeks to take with Interval but they never have anything. All those promises about easy exchange that Brad the salesman made to us in 2005 don't seem to be true at all. We've resigned ourselves to usung the resort and not exchanging but reading some of the resort reviews from 2007 I'm more than a little worried.

Rog. UK

Roger M.
Mar 22, 2009

wow, I am beginning to have my eyes opened. I did not want to see it before I guess. Everyone is right! The property looks like it is going downhill... not well cared for. We no longer can use the other facilities. We don't have the breakfast buffet anymore, either, and especially on check out day this makes it hard to get cleaned up and get out in time!! Right about customer service also. I have not been able to get anyone to even talk to me. And the fees just keep going up. When you read the budget they send out annually, it looks like we are paying the managers 3 times to do one job, and they are not doing it very well...

I just deposited a week with II for the first time this year and I have not tried to get an exchange yet, but I was planning to take the grandkids to Disney, only I just read that Disney is no longer affiliated with II, they have gone with RCI as of 1 Jan 2009, so even that has fallen through on me. I am thinking I would sell it if I could, but I probably can't even sell it except for cheap, and I will be paying through the nose for the rest of my life, and then pass it down to the kids??? Is there a way out of this?

Sandra J.
Mar 23, 2009

i also filled out one of those survey things and mailed it in with no results. recently i deposited my weeks to do an exchange i got the area i wanted. i have been trying to sell my unit also with no luck if i was that person i would have taken the offer. i know it was probably half of what he paid but what the heck at least he had an offer. i wish i got an offer. i have a two bed room lock off week26 that week is july 4th. i can't understand why they don't take care of it. pretty soon they won't have any buyers if they don't take care of it.

Geraldine K.

Last edited by gerik on Mar 24, 2009 01:58 PM

Mar 24, 2009

We have not had problems - we always stay during the week we bought and have been treated well. I felt the unit was clean and the staff was helpful, although they don't all speak fluent English. If you don't own during at least the "ruby" season, you would have trouble booking desirable weeks.

Susan F.
Mar 24, 2009

besides the cleaning issue and all the stuff we supposedly had when we bought ( like the indoor gym the movies room etc.)and now we don't. I actually like the place i just wish they would hire people that can clean. the last time i was there the unit was missing a lot of stuff and they don't respond right away to replace it. i don't exspect them to jump i would go get the stuff myself because when you are trying to cook and you don't have half the things to cook with it's aggravating!

Geraldine K.
Sep 12, 2009

This is the second year that I must pay maintainance fees, but Calypso Cay never sent me an invoice even after numerous phone calls I could never get a confirmed figure. But low and behold the collection agency called Meridian called to collect a figure. We assume that this is the maintainance fees but of course 300% increase from last year does not sound right, so we ask for a breakdown aND invoice----up to now we cant get such reply....Any of you have this fraudulent experience?

Brendon B.
Sep 12, 2009

your a fool i would have taken the offer!

Geraldine K.
Sep 14, 2009

I just checked and I was sent an invoice with the maintenance fees on it last April, 2009. I also called today to make sure I am current on all fees and they said yes, nothing is owed. Are you aware you have to call the Interval International number to get your fees, etc. as Calypso Cay does not do the billing? Also, our fees did not go up - we own a 2 bedroom in phase 7. We have owned for 4 years and enjoy the place every year. Hope you get it straightened out.

Susan F.
Jul 25, 2011

I recently learned that there have been some changes at Calypso Cay, at least they have told me so. I have not been there yet this year to see for myself. I also had the experience with things being missing from the unit, in June 2009, even the rocking chair in the master bedroom was gone! No placemats, no flowers, and some of the lamps were loose and maybe dangerous... That being said, I did ask about getting some kind of voucher for the breakfast at the hotel, at least on checkout day, and I was told that we will be able to do this. I had offered to pay for breakfast but they told me it would be free. We will see if this is true the next time we go up there. I also understand they have been making improvements to the units. Again, we will see. I also learned that the "owner's discount" is still available for rooms at the two hotels for last minute visits and short stays. We will probably look into this fr a long weekend this coming winter. I will report our findings on this forum. (I did not ask at the time about the newest hotel on the site - I think it is a Hamptom Inn and Suites).

Sandra J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.