The Point at Poipu

Board of Directors

Jun 07, 2009

I'm not looking for that list. I would be glad to add my name to one if it is being created.

We need to do something to gain control and that probably means finding a way to access a higher proportion of the owners.

Robert H.
Jun 08, 2009

I understood that the Member site at the 'New' Diamond web site was to have a members forum.. One of the Issues we raised at the Annual Board Meeting was the lack of information available to Members wanting to run for a Board Seat to actually communicate with the membership.... The chance that Diamond Resorts will actually allow us to post information to begin to organize a 'Members Group' to make contact with one another would be a 'Cause of Action' for a Lawsuit... Needless to say we all need to begin compiling a list of names of members, those with email addresses, as well as those who communicate via the Post Office or telephone... Michael 503 643 9816 or email me at migueldd45@aol.com

Michael D.
Jun 08, 2009

Good luck guys.............but why not file a suit with 2 of you and then have the entire lists sought in discovery? Two can be a class action.........

Kari K.
Jun 09, 2009

That is certainly an option and is being considered... My complaints with the Sales Presentation and the deceptions, down right lies etc. are in addition to my complaints with the management... The ongoing problem is to make the Resort serve its members, not be an increased profit center for Diamond Resorts, who treats their membership as a cash cow to be milked until no longer useful...

Michael D.
Jun 10, 2009

got cha...........good luck.

Kari K.
Jun 10, 2009

I wonder what would happen if every time one of us, those who frequent this and other related forums, visited the Point we would pass our flyers asking owners to supply email addresses and join an online group. Do you think management would try to stop us? Do you think they legally could?

Robert H.
Jun 10, 2009

They obviously wouldn't prefer it. However, we are not trying to solicit and sell anything and we certainly have a right to talk to other owners while we vacation. Keep it simple, just invite people to join our group. Details are on the redweek.com website.

Robert M.
Aug 04, 2009

Diamond has not been forthcoming in identifying DRI employees and/or agents on the ballot. That is how they got control in the first place.

David L.
Aug 04, 2009

Diamond has REFUSED to give contact info to those opposing the DRI controlled board.

David L.
Oct 20, 2009

In an effort to join more members, I thougth I would forward these excerpts along from Myra and Carl Orta:

"When you are at the resort try to talk to people (I had good luck at the adult hot tub) and tell them what is going on, get their name, address, phone, email, cell if possible. If not then just name and email is good and send it on to me at mee-maa@sbcglobal.net We must increase our base to be effective. We are now almost 300 members, need more."

"DRI wants everyone to think they own the property, they do not they manage it under a 3 yr. renewable contract and they purchased some unfinished units from Sunterra. They do not own it, we the owners own it. You were very smart not to convert to their points. It is a rip off and their goal is to have everyone in their points, then they can decrease trading power, increase dues at will and increase the cost of membership in their stupid club which they make you join when you convert to points. We know, we went to their presentation and were appauled by their attitude. We are on track for taking action to stop them. We are working on legal advice but the goal is to release them from management and get them out of control of our resort. We will keep you informed as to how you can help. The majority of owners are deeded not points. Only less than 10% are points regardless of what they tell you."

- On Sat, 8/1/09, Myra & Carl Orta <mee-maa@sbcglobal.net> wrote

Aug. 1, 2009 Dear Concerned Deeded Owners of the Point at Poipu (CDOPP) The purpose of our organization is to inform you and then take appropriate action of the issues concerning our resort. After attending the Owner's meeting in Feb. 2009 we became very concerned about the practices of our management company, Diamond Resorts Internation (DRI) Our maintenance fees increased by 50% and can continue to increase by 20% per year with board approval, according to Hawaii timeshare law. DRI has a 3 year contract and expects it to be renewed for an additional 3 yrs. They have stacked the Board of Directors of our two boards with Diamond employees so that they are the majority on both boards and vote in their own best interest. Unfortunately the owners voted them in being unaware of their intentions. The increases and contract renewals were in the form of a resolution that was not released to us despite repeated requests for copies. Management fees have risen sharply, but services have decreased. The free breakfasts, receptions, cocktail parties, cupons, etc. have all been eliminated. We have requested the list of deeded owners, guaranteed in our by-laws, so that we many communicate with each other. DRI refused to release this information with an excuse of privacy. Our board president's requests are ignored and they have meetings by phone conferences demanding instant voting. The by-laws dictate 15 days to investigate the items. We have contacted other management companies who are willing to manage our resort at a much lower fee. With your involvement we hope to replace DRI. We want a board run by our own deeded members, interested in running our resort for the owners and not the management company. We want a management company that does not serve by conflict of interest and violation of our by-laws. DRI dirrectors control the boards, pass resolutions awarding themselves no bid contracts. We are investigating the legality of this conflict of interest. We hope you can attend the next board meeting on Aug. 21,2009 in Las Vegas, details to follow. Also plan to attend the annual board meeting in Feb. 2010 at Poipu. More dues increases will be on the agenda at these meetings. Your imput is vital. Please pass this on to other deeded owners you know so they can join us. Forward their name, address, phone, email to the email address above. It is very important that you reply ASAP so we know we can count on you. Respectfully submitted, Myra & Carl Orta

Robert M.
Oct 26, 2009

Have we tried to see if we can have a concerned owner there most weeks and pass out copies (or something similar) of that letter to owners? If we can come up with a flyer like one page, I would sure take a bunch and spread them around.

We should also come up with our own slate of directors. Each profile could reference the others so that we had a chance of getting enough votes. As long as the independent owners vote in a fragmented fashion and DRI votes their (the Trust) as a block, we won't have a chance.

Robert H.
Nov 20, 2009

Just received the Call for Resumes for people who want to run for the Board. I plan to submit mine and would like your support. As we have discussed, the key is to actually limit the number of non-Diamond employees who run so that we don't dilute the votes.

Any thoughts of how to do this?

Robert H.
Nov 22, 2009

I totally agree with you and will vote for you. All we need for a flyer is something simple like:

TIMESHARE OWNERS

Your vote is critical. Please help all Point at Poipu timeshare owners gain control of our Board of Directors. Don't let the hired management company, Diamond Resorts International, continue to raise their fees (16.39% for 2010), while revenues decline (-9.93% for 2010). Dont' let DRI continue to load the Board with their own employees!

VOTE FOR Mr HALEMS - He is one of us and will fight to hole the line on DRI management fees.

Do you want to edit, or add your e-mail? Regardless, I suggest we keep it simple. My figures are from the approved 2010 budget, which was mailed to all owners.

I can hand out flyers in late February, when I go there.

Robert M.
Nov 22, 2009

Could the "resume" he is going to create ask people to email him? That might be a way to gather more email addresses. They might censor that part out, but again, a chance!

David L.
Nov 23, 2009

Great idea about including an email address. I will certainly try it.

Do we know where the "master" list of owners and email addresses is being kept?

Can we use it to suggest candidates for the Board? Me?

Robert H.
Nov 24, 2009

Of course, we can't get a list from DRI, butI think the following people have short lists for owners at Point at Poipu: Myra & Carl Orta <mee-maa@sbcglobal.net> Michael 503 643 9816 or email <migueldd45@aol.com> I've heard that about 300 people have signed on. If these people and the rest of us would hand out flyers when we visit, I think we could easily get the job done. Of necessity, this has to be a grass roots effort.

Mr Halem, thanks for offering your time and effort! Would you post your e-mail address and/or phone number to this website, so the rest of us can make up our own flyers and recommend you?

Robert M.
Nov 24, 2009

I will include my email address in my candidate statement so people can contact me and we can build the list. If you want to include it in your flyers, feel free.

poipubob at wescraft dot com

(Sorry for the SPAM resistant address)

Robert H.
Dec 13, 2009

All of you who are working on compiling a list of owners are welcome to put our names on it! We have been upset ever since the fees started getting out of control, when I can rent nice condos in Kaui for less than $200.00 a night for 7 nights, our TimeShare no longer "saves us money" plus we paid $25,000 for our unit!

William and Kellyn Prehm prehm@comcast.net 719 330-2230

Kellyn P.
Dec 28, 2009

Add us to the list of DisGruntled Owners as well.. We own 2 weeks in Point of Poipu, having bought through diamond we've found it to be a nightmare with both the fees, and Diamonds "Easy to Use" system.

Pete Gambino gmav20@hotmail.com

Peter G.
Jan 07, 2010

We are at Poipu this week. Last night, someone passed out a flyer to every unit. Congrats to whoever did it. It appears to be a copy of recent posting on this message board and doesn't really state the case very clearly. Has anyone prepared a "clean" one page flyer? We would be happy to have a bunch printed and pass them out next week.

Robert H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.