Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying Marriott Timeshare - Advice Please

Mar 14, 2007

I am based in the UK and looking to buy a Marriott Timeshare in Spain. I spoke to Marriott and they quoted me a figure for a Gold week at the resort in Spain.

At the weekend I noticed that a broker was re-selling timeshares in the same property for approx 1/3 of the cost quoted to me by the Marriott. The broker does not even collect the money, it goes thru a registered finance company who check out whether there is any outstanding debt on the existing agreement .

Is there a catch - am I missing something ?

I have asked Marriott and all they have told me that I would not be entitled to points if I did not use the week.

Any advice that anyone has on this would be appreciated.

Gary E.
Mar 14, 2007

The quoted price of 1/3 of developer cost is in the ballpark for a resale timeshare. It sounds like this is a good deal if you trust the broker.

The only advantage to buying developer is the extra perks you may get, but it's not worth the money to do so. There's a huge difference in cost for developer vs resale timeshares when you actually get the same product in the end.

garye55 wrote:
At the weekend I noticed that a broker was re-selling timeshares in the same property for approx 1/3 of the cost quoted to me by the Marriott. The broker does not even collect the money, it goes thru a registered finance company who check out whether there is any outstanding debt on the existing agreement .

Is there a catch - am I missing something ?

I have asked Marriott and all they have told me that I would not be entitled to points if I did not use the week.

Any advice that anyone has on this would be appreciated.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.