Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How Safe Is It To Rent??

Apr 01, 2007

Hi all, we are coming from Australia at the end of August and need a week in Vegas from 1st September.

How safe is it for me to use Redweek to rent a week? Can anyone advise on their experiences - I have noticed that quite a few of the units advertised seem to be listed by companies (ie dreamtravelinc, condovacations etc). I am able to pay with Paypal, but have read that there is no insurance coverage for this - and we can't afford to lose our money as it is already a very expensive trip for us (and my husband would kill me!!)

Would love to hear your thoughts. Deb

Deb B.
Apr 01, 2007

If by insurance, you mean trip insurance which protect against unexpected illness, etc, I believe there are various websites that offer this type of insurance. Another payment option is through the escrow service at redweek. I have received payment for myrental through paypal and I feel it is more secure than receiving a check. I cannot offer you anything for rent through this forum, but go to redwishes and place your request...I (and I'm sure others) will contact you. Good Luck, Mike

Mike N.
Apr 02, 2007

Re: >> I am able to pay with Paypal...<<

Do not be deluded into believing that there is any particular magic or "security" in using PayPal. The recipient will be assured of payment, since your credit card will be promptly authorized and charged. You, on the other hand, will be assured of very little more than the fact that your credit card has been charged..........

Just my opinion, worth at least what you've paid for it.......

KC
Apr 02, 2007

We took out travel insurance on a tour group trip that we'll be taking in December, 2007. It has offerd us peace of mind since anything can happen between the time we signed on and the date of the trip later this year.

We went with a travel insurance company recommended by our travel agent called Travel Guard. I will see if they have an internet site that you can check out, however there are hundreds of other travel insurance sites on the internet if you do a google search and you can then compare rates.

As far renting from someone on Redweek, be sure and have a rental agreement signed by both owner and renter (you) before you disperse any money.

And, of utmost importance, make sure the person renting is actually the owner of the week and that the week is not an exchange. Rentals of exchanges are prohibited by the exchange companies. If the person placing the ad has to request a guest certificate from an exchange company, then the week is an exchange.

After all this is said and done, you should be good to go and with peace of mind concerning your trip.

www.travelguard.com

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 02, 2007 07:26 AM

Apr 03, 2007

debb56 wrote:
Hi all, we are coming from Australia at the end of August and need a week in Vegas from 1st September.

How safe is it for me to use Redweek to rent a week? Can anyone advise on their experiences - I have noticed that quite a few of the units advertised seem to be listed by companies (ie dreamtravelinc, condovacations etc). I am able to pay with Paypal, but have read that there is no insurance coverage for this - and we can't afford to lose our money as it is already a very expensive trip for us (and my husband would kill me!!)

Hi Deb, We rented a 2 bedroom unit at The Fairfield Grand Desert through Redweek last May (2006) and did not have any problems. Dealt directly with the person who posted the rental, did the transaction through PayPal. This person currently has a posting #R318210. This resort is very nice. It is located 2 long blocks off the strip behind the MGM Grand. They have a shuttle service that takes you to Harrah's (mid-strip) every 15 min. through they day, and I believe every 30 min. into the evening. It does stop sometime around 1 am. Hope this helps.

Mary J.
Apr 22, 2008

debb56 wrote:

I have just purchaced a week through dream travel. It seems like a legitimate service, but will keep u informed if I get taken. They are listed alot on goggle, but am not sure they are save. Ed

Ed C.
Apr 26, 2008

mary2765 wrote:
debb56 wrote:

Hi Deb, We rented a 2 bedroom unit at The Fairfield Grand Desert through Redweek last May (2006) and did not have any problems. Dealt directly with the person who posted the rental, did the transaction through PayPal. This person currently has a posting #R318210. This resort is very nice. It is located 2 long blocks off the strip behind the MGM Grand. They have a shuttle service that takes you to Harrah's (mid-strip) every 15 min. through they day, and I believe every 30 min. into the evening. It does stop sometime around 1 am. Hope this helps.

Teri M.
Apr 27, 2008

I've rented numerous weeks that I own over the years on Redweek and Tugs. I've never had a problem at all. I've always used Paypal.

Linda P.
May 26, 2009

hi, this is an old message board, so not sure if anyone will see it or not...but Travel Guard does not insure timeshares.

I called them and asked, "if I rent from someone, and my kid gets sick, which means we would not be able to make the trip, will you ensure us?" Oh, of course, blah blah blah, I will send you the info, $67 etc...well, I actually read the fine print, saw something that made me wonder otherwise, then called back and reasked the question. At that point, I was told, they DO NOT insure timeshares. I was very specific that I was renting a unit from a private owner, and they were very specific in telling me they would not cover me.

I would like to find an insurance company that would cover though, any suggestions?

Laura C.
Jun 30, 2009

If it is not a privately owned unit DON"T DO IT! Al these brokers send emals with promises of units but non of them have anything. Beware of Westgate Sales...emailed me with all info and unit numbers but when I checked them out I could find nothing. I asked via email for a copy of agreement between he and owner of unit. I asked to do transaction via escrow acount. needless to say....never happened. They wanted me to pay for unit via Paypal and had no proof of even being able to rent unit. He said he would get me a different unit from an owner that would do the escrow...never heard from him again. Also, Preston will contact you but never produced anything. Go with someone who owns the unt and has rights to rent it. You can confirm ownership with one phone call. Don't let yourself get scammed!

Jane T.
Jun 30, 2009

This is just my opinion but I say you should only work with a owner listing their unit for rent!

If you find a resort and week you want and can work out a deal then great. Make sure you do your homework before paying.

Only pay small amount down to owner and get proof like reservation form most if not all resorts send owners showing the week they have. Many of these people offer they can get any week and this is bull because the good weeks are gone early every year.

Call the resort and explain your renting from this person and try and ask if he/she is a owner there.

Most deals renter pays half and after proof sent to you that the unit is in your name and you call resort and double check you then pay full amount and only then!

If you get a owner that doesn't like this or demands full amount walk away just like the owner will do if they don't feel right about you.

Also many owners want you to pay with Pay-Pal and this cost you extra just to sign up and gives you nothing in return. PayPal only good to get your money faster.

You can use search and type in PayPay or how to rent and read post like your question and see all the replies!

Good Luck! PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Jun 30, 2009 01:42 PM

Aug 23, 2009

iM LOOKING AT SOME RENTAL AND FOR SALE UNITS. IS THERE A WAY TO VERIFY THAT THE PERSON WITH THE LISTING INDEED OWNS THE WEEK THEY ARE RENTING OR SELLING?

Vivian C.
Aug 24, 2009

vivianc31 wrote:
IS THERE A WAY TO VERIFY THAT THE PERSON WITH THE LISTING INDEED OWNS THE WEEK THEY ARE RENTING OR SELLING?

Simply ask the seller to identify himself / herself and ask them to specifically identify the unit / week number they own. With that information in hand, then call the resort directly to independently confirm those ownership details. The resort (understandably, for obvious privacy protection reasons) will NOT actually provide or release ANY owner information to you, but they will certainly at least VERIFY the information which you ALREADY have in your possession when you actually make that confirmation call to the resort.

Some people recommend asking the advertiser for a copy of their maintenance fee bill, something which any owner will obviously have in possession. Personally, I think this request is both unnecessary and a bit intrusive. I, for one, am NOT ever going to send copies of ANY of my maintenance fee bills in the mail to unknown perfect strangers. Confirmation of ownership can be done more quickly, more easily and less intrusively via the first method suggested above; just my opinion.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 24, 2009 08:27 AM

Sep 13, 2009

I have rented to many people over the years. I own several units in Maui and several in Orlando. Usually I ask for 50% down at the time of booking and the other 50% within 60 days of the arrival date. I understand that there has to be a leap of faith on both parties in order to make these transactions work. I am very happy to provide the potential renter with whatever makes him comfortable. Usually I will fax a copy of my confirmation letter from the resort that shows my unit type, reservation number, and my name.

Additionally, my name, address, etc are listed in the phone book, so I am totally out in the open. I also have accumulated many satisfied renters over the years and have their email addresses that I am willing to provide to the prospect for testimonials.

I think that an owner should be totally open in his dealings with prospects and understanding that the prospect providing up front money in the hopes that the owner is honest and has the authority to rent what he is advertising.

I have also utilized a third party company to collect and hold the funds until the end of the rental period. Fortunately not everyone utilizes this service because the owner has to wait for his money until after the renter has used the unit.

As an owner, do everything possible to provide the necessary proof of reservations and everyone should be happy. I also believe that Redweek should consider adding a section of their website that allows feedback about satisfaction with dealing with owners.

Steve F.
Jul 08, 2010

Hi Ed, Did you ever get your rental through dream travels back in 08? How did the rental and service provided by Dream Travel go? Did you get the unit you were expecting? Thanks!

Scott S.
Apr 23, 2013

Hi I just joined Redweek. Your info was very helpful. I am a Realtor but I do not know how to find out ownership and if it is an exchange or not. My other concern is at most resorts there are nice units and some that are awful. I contacted one owner and was told the unit has not been determined yet. How do I know it will be nice. Thanksfor any help Mary T Maryt@realtor.com

jayjay wrote:
We took out travel insurance on a tour group trip that we'll be taking in December, 2007. It has offerd us peace of mind since anything can happen between the time we signed on and the date of the trip later this year.

We went with a travel insurance company recommended by our travel agent called Travel Guard. I will see if they have an internet site that you can check out, however there are hundreds of other travel insurance sites on the internet if you do a google search and you can then compare rates.

As far renting from someone on Redweek, be sure and have a rental agreement signed by both owner and renter (you) before you disperse any money.

And, of utmost importance, make sure the person renting is actually the owner of the week and that the week is not an exchange. Rentals of exchanges are prohibited by the exchange companies. If the person placing the ad has to request a guest certificate from an exchange company, then the week is an exchange.

After all this is said and done, you should be good to go and with peace of mind concerning your trip.

www.travelguard.com

Mary T.
Apr 23, 2013

Deb I just joined and saw your questions How did it work out and do you have any advice for me? Regards Mary T Scottsdale Maryt@realtor.com

debb56 wrote:

Mary T.
Apr 23, 2013

Hi Deb,

I rent out my extra timeshares all the time. Once a client has made the reservation with me I contact the resort and add the customer's name and forward the resort phone number as well as the reservation number. Also, there are some scams going around, so I would suggest doing everything you can to verify the company or person renting the resort to you. Ask for references, if necessary. I always have plenty of references when requested. Also, put it on a credit card if necessary and see if you can pay a down pmt and final pmt closer to your vacation date. This will keep most of your pmt closer to your travel date and should be better protected. Let me know if I can help any further.

Steve F.
Apr 24, 2013

I would also demand a rental agreement stipulating the terms of the rental and signed by both the owner and renter (search forums for sample rental agreements) .... also make sure the owner owns the week and it's not an exchange as renting exchanges is against the rules of the exchange companies.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.