Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Mar 09, 2014

fibon wrote:
@lancec13 : could you please recommend any company / or person who will accept donation of the Manhattan Club Unit? The Manhattan Club fess $2000-2500. Thank you

Have you tried asking the MC if it will take the unit back? Try explaining your situation.

Also, try listing it for sale or, more feasibly, for giveaway. Offer to pay closing costs and the next maintenance fee for whoever takes it. Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) has a Bargain Deals section where you can advertise that you want to give your timeshare away to a willing taker. RedWeek also has a Bargain Basement section.

Just be careful about some companies who offer to take it for "little" money (say, under $1200) because they are likely running what's commonly called in timeshare circles a "Viking Ship" operation which is fraught with dangers and legal implications.

Lance C.
Oct 07, 2014

the only way you can REALLY help us innocents, if to share the name of the company so we don't get scammed by them. Are you able to share the name? I just signed up a few days ago with TimeShares to Rent by Owner - I'm hoping it's not them but surely want to know if it is! THX - your story touched me.

Mary W.
Oct 07, 2014

maryw528 wrote:
the only way you can REALLY help us innocents, if to share the name of the company so we don't get scammed by them. Are you able to share the name?

Names of scam companies can be shared but it does little good. When these scam operations get identified or caught, they just change names.

The best way to tell if it's a scam is to look for some key components. They usually include an unexpected telemarketing call and an offer that's too good to be true. Also, if anytime they ask you to send funds to supposedly complete a deal, then it's a scam.

Lance C.
Oct 08, 2014

maryw528 wrote:
the only way you can REALLY help us innocents, if to share the name of the company so we don't get scammed by them. Are you able to share the name? I just signed up a few days ago with TimeShares to Rent by Owner - I'm hoping it's not them but surely want to know if it is! THX - your story touched me.

What is 'TimeShares to Rent by Owner's' website URL? We would have to see what their criteria is. As Lance stated if they ask for any sort of upfront fee then they're a scam.

R P.
Oct 09, 2014

maryw528 wrote:

maryw, stay far away from any time share having the word "manhattan" in its name, i e, THE MANHATTAN CLUB. this one is a fraudulent scam timeshare in litigation vs the NEW YORK STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL who has had a court order issued to THE MANHATTAN CLUB to cease all sales and promotions while litigation is taking place.

caveat emptor.................LET THE BUYER BEWARE.....BE SO AWARE THAT YOU DO NOT FALL FOR ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS TOO GOOD OR THAT THEIR SALES STAFF TELLS YOU THAT YOU MUST MAKE THE DEAL "TODAY............."

Chris V.
Dec 12, 2014

It you are able to help retrieve monies can you also help sellers find a honest resale co.?

Don R.
Dec 12, 2014

donr218 wrote:
It you are able to help retrieve monies can you also help sellers find a honest resale co.?

whoever you are, "I WORKED AT A TIMESHARE SCAM.....i want to tell you about it"..............you haven't told us a word about your experience (s) at said timeshare scam. tell us owners and the NYS ATTORNEY GENERAL of your timeshare scam work experience. also name the timeshare scam that your worked for, even though it might have had a name change. there's always a way to find out the former name of a company.

don't leave us hanging with incomplete information. of course, you needn't divulge your real identity, simply the scam timeshare that your worked for.

it's truly a puzzlement as to why the

chris

Chris V.
Dec 12, 2014

...............why the UNITED STATES ATTORNEY GENERAL HASN'T LAUNCHED A VIGOROUS INVESTIGATION OF THE ENTIRE TIMESHARE INDUSTRY IN THE UNITED STATES. IT'S POCK-MARKED WITH FRAUD, SCAMS, LIES AND MANY OUTRIGHT ILLEGAL AND PUNISHABLE ACTIVITIES. THIS WIDESPREAD INDUSTRY (ALTHOUGH NOT QUITE A PONZI SCHEME) IS TANTAMOUNT TO A BERNIE MADOFF ESCAPADE, AND IT MUST BE THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATED AND REGULATED...............AND THIS ACTION MUST BEGIN IMMEDIATELY BEFORE SO MANY MORE UNSUSPECTING PURCHASERS ARE SCAMMED, DEFRAUDED AND EFFECTIVELY ROBBED IN THE GUISE OF A REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION REGARDING OWNERSHIP OF A TIMESHARE.

chrisv126 wrote:
donr218 wrote:

whoever you are, "I WORKED AT A TIMESHARE SCAM.....i want to tell you about it"..............you haven't told us a word about your experience (s) at said timeshare scam. tell us owners and the NYS ATTORNEY GENERAL of your timeshare scam work experience. also name the timeshare scam that your worked for, even though it might have had a name change. there's always a way to find out the former name of a company.

don't leave us hanging with incomplete information. of course, you needn't divulge your real identity, simply the scam timeshare that your worked for.

chris

Chris V.
Feb 18, 2015

susani67 wrote:
Does anybody know anything about California attorney Mitchell Reed Sussman?

Stay clear, this attorney sends letters to timeshare homeowners associations threatening to sue if the HOA does not "accept the notice of resignation" and claiming fraud related to the timeshare presentation. He demands the owner of the week be released from the vacation club. HOA's are not vacation clubs and in almost all cases did not sell the timeshare, therefore fraud and misrepresentation does not enter into the picture. As has been mentioned before, any law firm or their "helpers" contacting you fall into the scammer category!!!!

Tam M.
Feb 18, 2015

just what is going on here.............GIVING AWAY A COMMODITY (A TIMESHARE IN THIS CASE)..........????? DOES HESS GIVE AWAY GAS? DOES WALMART GIVE AWAY BIKES? DOES MACY'S GIVE AWAY CLOTHING? BS TO "GIVE..." IF THE TIMESHARE INDUSTRY WAS BETTER MUNICIPALLY REGULATED, WE WOULDN'T HAVE THE FRAUD AND SCAM, SUCH AS THE MANHATTAN CLUB IN NEW YORK CITY, SCREWING OWNERS TO THE WALL FINANCIALLY AND OTHERWISE; AND WE WOULDN'T THINK OF GIVING AWAY OUR PROPERTY. WE WOULD AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO SELL IT AT A REASONABLE PRICE (OR ABOVE, IF WE WANT TO HAGGLE OR GIVE IT TO OUR BENEFICIARIES AND/OR HEIRS WHO SHOULD PROFIT FROM SUCH A POST DEATH GIFT EITHER BY USING IT OR BEING ABLE TO SELL IT AT REASONABLE VALUE.

lancec13 wrote:
fibon wrote:
@lancec13 : could you please recommend any company / or person who will accept donation of the Manhattan Club Unit? The Manhattan Club fess $2000-2500. Thank you

Have you tried asking the MC if it will take the unit back? Try explaining your situation.

Also, try listing it for sale or, more feasibly, for giveaway. Offer to pay closing costs and the next maintenance fee for whoever takes it. Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) has a Bargain Deals section where you can advertise that you want to give your timeshare away to a willing taker. RedWeek also has a Bargain Basement section.

Just be careful about some companies who offer to take it for "little" money (say, under $1200) because they are likely running what's commonly called in timeshare circles a "Viking Ship" operation which is fraught with dangers and legal implications.

Chris V.

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 18, 2015 10:31 PM

Feb 19, 2015

Chris... you are talking my language... i would like to share something with you, please email me jorgensen.phil@gmail.com mahalo!

chrisv126 wrote:
...............why the UNITED STATES ATTORNEY GENERAL HASN'T LAUNCHED A VIGOROUS INVESTIGATION OF THE ENTIRE TIMESHARE INDUSTRY IN THE UNITED STATES. IT'S POCK-MARKED WITH FRAUD, SCAMS, LIES AND MANY OUTRIGHT ILLEGAL AND PUNISHABLE ACTIVITIES. THIS WIDESPREAD INDUSTRY (ALTHOUGH NOT QUITE A PONZI SCHEME) IS TANTAMOUNT TO A BERNIE MADOFF ESCAPADE, AND IT MUST BE THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATED AND REGULATED...............AND THIS ACTION MUST BEGIN IMMEDIATELY BEFORE SO MANY MORE UNSUSPECTING PURCHASERS ARE SCAMMED, DEFRAUDED AND EFFECTIVELY ROBBED IN THE GUISE OF A REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION REGARDING OWNERSHIP OF A TIMESHARE.

chrisv126 wrote:
donr218 wrote:

chris

Phil J.
Feb 21, 2015

Many people have worked for scammish timeshare and vacation club operations. Whether it be at a destination club or a true timeshare with weeks or points or both, many individuals have worked for many organizations with scam-like tactics. Some are very low end and their blatant in your face scam operation is highly visible. Others are higher end and big brand who operate a much more exclusive operation, insulating themselves with brilliant legal representation.

There's a sucker born every minute, and some American vacationers are dumb.

Phil J.
Feb 21, 2015

There doesn't appear to be any useful reliable "timeshare resale" firms. I tried this with a company out of Las Vegas and was charged $1100. All that they accomplish for you is to post a very vague listing for your timeshare. They will tell you that the active season for timeshare demand is coming up soon with buyers calling them from around the world. However they do not actively attempt to sell your timeshare and you will not hear from them again.You could list it yourself for sale without them with the same result. There is no "timeshare market" and you don't have the devious salesmanship skills of the salespeople that sold it to you in the first place.No wonder you see people giving them away for cheap or free. No one wants to assume the high & rising maintenance fees. Also no charity will accept them and assume these maintenance fees .They are even valueless to the resorts themselves.

Gerard S.
Feb 25, 2015

Jay Jay

You say that if you have singed a contract you have no racecourse. What if you have never signed a contract but in fact you still have the unsigned contract? I have complained to every agent I can think of with avail. In rebuttal they reply to the agent i am complaining to that have a singed contract but when asked to show it they do not return the request. They give the excuse that the request was given after the 3 day cancellation period. Can you help me?

Stella M.

Last edited by stellam40 on Feb 25, 2015 10:34 AM

Feb 25, 2015

JaJa:

You say that if you have singed a contract you have no racecourse. What if you have never signed a contract but in fact you still have the unsigned contract? I have complained to every agent I can think of with avail. In rebuttal they reply to the agent i am complaining to that have a singed contract but when asked to show it they do not return the request. They give the excuse that the request was given after the 3 day cancellation period. Can you help me?

Stella M.
Mar 29, 2015

Yall are better off having someone manage your ownership for you. This will do 2 things. 1. Get you where you want to go when you want but 2. Take away most if not all financial obligations of owning. I know of a handful of reputable companies who do this with their extensive inside knowledge of these companies. Advertising fees and upfront listing fees are scams fyi.

Angela R.
Mar 31, 2015

Just got a letter from "Association Management Department, 1425 K St NW Suite 350, Washington DC, 800-818-9647.

Very simple piece of paper with no official letterhead. Very clever approach: "You now qualify for a permanent Maintenance Fee elimination."

At first glance you think it came from your own timeshare company.

Clever, these scammers.

Lolli S.
Apr 10, 2015

You most certainly can stop or reverse the charge on your bankcard! You need to tell your bank what service you thought you "purchased" and that you were scammed out of your money and that the company that took your money but never provided the "service" (aka, contract).

Banks are very interested in any fraud that is being committed against their clients.

Michelle O.
May 11, 2015

We own a timeshare in Puerto Valletta Mexico that has been paid in full and it has 7 weeks left in our contract. We don't want to use it or pay any more maintenance fees....... How can we just turn it over to them? Thanks Darlene

Darlene M.
May 12, 2015

The first and most important thing to remember is to never, ever pay any entity a large, upfront fee to do anything for your timeshare.

You might want to contact the resort and ask if it will take the contract back. If it agrees, you might have to pay some sort of closing costs. The other thing you can try is to advertise in the advertising section here on RedWeek that you want to give this RTU contract away to anyone who wants it.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.