Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Jun 07, 2007

monte12

amyv41 wrote:
monte12 wrote:
You should not have lost a processing fee. This alone is a crime.

I couldn't agree more, but the piece of mind I have now is worth that price.

thanks

monte12,

I once used a very famous attorney in negotiations with a scam by a bank.

They finally called to offer me within a few dollars of what I wanted. I asked my attorney what to do.

He replied, "Just smile and say 'Thank You'."

I agree with you.

Carrie S.
Jun 08, 2007

Problem is that most have bought timeshares at 10000-15000 dollars plus and want to recover their investment so are easily taken in by these sharks promising their investment back. Fact is timeshare resales can be had for a few thousand dollars at most. best to advertise in websites such as redweek at a realistic price and lower price every month if you are keen to sell it rather than relying on these companies.

Anand S.
Jun 08, 2007

Kudos to you Monte. Remember "the squeaky wheel always gets the grease".

You've now learned a hard earned lesson concerning upfront fee resale companies. I hope everyone heeds your scenario.

monte12 wrote:
I RECEIVED A REFUND CHECK TODAY ON MY UPFRONT FEES (minus a processing fee) but I've learned a lesson and got out a lot cheaper than it sounds like many have.

I'll be emailing them and letting them (legacy resort mgmt) know that I'll notify Bank of America (once the check clears) that all is resolved.

I'm pretty certain that the reason they decided to send the check is because BoA said they would be attempting to have the entire amount returned, including the processing fees. But at this point-I'm just glad to be out!!

R P.
Jun 08, 2007

hello all and Timesharejudi,

Thanks so much for your invaluable input regarding those unscrupulous people. 'm posting this in case any other people who wrote in got the same reply I got.

I sent in a complaint using the form you provided for timeshares, but I got back a letter from the timeshare complaint form. The investigator, Richard Thrawl said that I should write a letter of complaint to the Division of Real Estate since they could not help me with my particular case. My complaint was regarding an advance fee that I paid to a timeshare resale company who didn't follow through on their promises.

So I sent in a letter to: Division of Real Estate, 400 W Robinson St, Suite N802, Orlando, FL 32801-1775

The pdf url isn't working. Good luck to all!!

Nori N.
Jun 08, 2007

norin wrote:
hello all and Timesharejudi,

Thanks so much for your invaluable input regarding those unscrupulous people. 'm posting this in case any other people who wrote in got the same reply I got.

I sent in a complaint using the form you provided for timeshares, but I got back a letter from the timeshare complaint form. The investigator, Richard Thrawl said that I should write a letter of complaint to the Division of Real Estate since they could not help me with my particular case. My complaint was regarding an advance fee that I paid to a timeshare resale company who didn't follow through on their promises.

So I sent in a letter to: Division of Real Estate, 400 W Robinson St, Suite N802, Orlando, FL 32801-1775

The pdf url isn't working. Good luck to all!!

This is incorrect. Not the DRE. Call them back or follow this link to file a complaint.

http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/lsc/index.shtml

The division of Florida Land Sales is the "other" contact. But First talk to the Attorney Generals ofc. They process the complaint ten decide where it goes from there.

What is the name of the company that stole from you? Did you check them out through www.sunbiz.org ? Type in the name of any biz and get vital info this way.

Furthermore, a complaint with the bbb of Orlando is a great way to warn others about the company, provided that they look in to the company before throwing away money.

I have also learned that www.ripoffreport.com is a great outlet as well. If all else fails start as many blogs as you can about the company using the name of the company; therefore anyone who searched the company's name with google picks up the BAD BLOGS as well as the company's web site.

Amy V.
Jun 08, 2007

Everyone who has been scammed type in the name of the company that took up front fees from you>

Amy V.
Jul 19, 2007

Hi Amy. Thanks for posting your experience with the advance fee timeshare resale scam company you had an experience with.

Every bit of information helps on the subject. I've got a couple of posts here as well in regards to my experiences with one of these companies.

Like you I have and still am working with different agencies in Florida regarding this company.

I've also posted to every blog, forum and website I can find in regards to the scam. Like you, I find the ripoffreport.com to be very useful. It's great that any info written on that site about a scam will show up on the first page of search results for a company in most cases.

I just wish more timeshare owners who have been scammed by these companies would post their experiences and the names of the scam company on the various sites as well as contacting the proper federal agencies.

One poster is right, these scams do bring in a lot of money for the state of Florida or whatever state they are located in but there is a point when the negativity these companies generate will out weigh the money the state brings in. The key is to complain to the right people and post everywhere you can.

Gary M.
Jul 19, 2007

Everyone that I know has been burned by these scam artists. I did however find a consumer advocate type company that goes after your money. I received $749.50 from three companies I had payed to rent and sell my timeshare over the last 2 years. The company, called Haufman Associates out of Deleware, kept a nice chunk of what they recovered, but to me it was found money. A. P., Ft Lauderdale

Lucas S.
Jul 20, 2007

tonyp38 wrote:
Everyone that I know has been burned by these scam artists. I did however find a consumer advocate type company that goes after your money. I received $749.50 from three companies I had payed to rent and sell my timeshare over the last 2 years. The company, called Haufman Associates out of Deleware, kept a nice chunk of what they recovered, but to me it was found money. A. P., Ft Lauderdale
Please send me their information and I will add them to my complaint list.

Jay K.
Jul 22, 2007

Timesharejudi,

If you are making a complaint list, make sure you include Land Ahoy Properties!!!

Address and Phone Number:

7200 Lake Ellenor Dr Orlando, FL 32809 1-866-797-0033

Nori N.
Jul 22, 2007

norin wrote:
Timesharejudi,

If you are making a complaint list, make sure you include Land Ahoy Properties!!!

Address and Phone Number:

7200 Lake Ellenor Dr Orlando, FL 32809 1-866-797-0033

Thank you for the information. We had the name but not the address or phone. Do you have a web site or email by any chance.

Jay K.
Jul 23, 2007

the website is: www.landahoyproperties.com.

My contact person's name was Chris Baldwin and his email is cblandahoy@yahoo.com

If you go on that site you'll probably find my timeshare listing (San Diego at Harbour Lights) still up there! Grrr.....

Nori N.
Jul 24, 2007

timesharejudi wrote:
tonyp38 wrote:
Please send me their information and I will add them to my complaint list.

I know the names of a couple of the companies; North American Marketing, US Timeshare Co, Paramount... But why bother with a list of these companies? I paid at least 4 companies an up-front fee without results. They all have the same MO. Just don't pay anybody else upfront-period. If you already did call these people who got my money back Hofman&Assoc at 866-568-5561, so they can do the same for you.

Lucas S.
Jul 26, 2007

amyv41 wrote:
tanyap28 wrote:
Hi Amy,

What exactly do you mean by "timeshare scam" is it a real ownership, or is it a non exsiting resort? I am very interested in your experience, as we were sold the weeks, but we can use them ourselves, though weeks meant to re-sold for some profit... Though I/ve heard that some companies will sell annual "membership", but in fact just pocketed the money and disappeared in 2 weeks.

I worked for a resell scam. They simply take your money and you get nothing but a contract stating that they will advertise only on the Internet on their very low grade web sites.

========= Let's please not give the impression that anyone in timeshares is a scammer. It is a real for sure industry and has very real property and services. I am one of those idiots who buy from the developer because I know for sure who he is and can question the salepeople face to face and see the property. Do they get paid to do their job? Sure. Don't you?

It seems to be the telephone guys that you really need to be wary of. They call all the time, offering to sell or rent my timeshares--for an up-front fee to advertise. (That is what they say the fee is for and that makes it hard to argue if you pay and nothing results.) MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jul 26, 2007 06:58 PM

Jul 27, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
Let's please not give the impression that anyone in timeshares is a scammer. It seems to be the telephone guys that you really need to be wary of. They call all the time, offering to sell or rent my timeshares--for an up-front fee to advertise. (That is what they say the fee is for and that makes it hard to argue if you pay and nothing results.) MD

The telephone guys, postcard companies and UPFRONT FEE resellers are all in the same scummy category. It doesn't matter what UPFRONT FEE resellers call their fee (marketing, advertising, selling ... whatever), it's all a scam to get your upfront money without having to lift a finger (except to hold the telephone receiver to get your credit card number).

There have been hundreds of negative testimonials here pertaining to UPFRONT FEE companies that once they get your money they are never heard from again.

They will also tell you that your timeshare is worth far more than it actually is and some will tell you that they have a buyer already in place to buy your timeshare.

R P.
Aug 04, 2007

amyv41

cherylh3 wrote:
We were scammed also, $1100.00. A company called TimesharesOnly. It is a listing company. The promised us all of this advertizing, said they could get us $15000.00 for the one property and $10000.00 for the other. We have not heard a single word from them since they got our money.
Go get em' you have rights call the Attorney Generals office and file a complaint![/Q

i'm so glad to be doing some research on timeshare. very valuable info in this forum. i just put in for a rental timeshare with timeshares only. i probably will not deal with this company after reading this message. when they do contact me i will be sure to tell them about negitive feed back about their company. d

Diane62 H.
Aug 05, 2007

Most of us on this discussion board are speaking as timeshare owners who have paid up front to advertise a property for rent or for sale with no results. Has anyone reading this rented from such an advertiser? From any of the companies mentioned above? Have any of the owners ever seen a dime of income from an up front payment company? Some of them clearly DO have listings on line if nowhere else. Don't they EVER get a nibble? MD

Mary D.
Aug 05, 2007

monte12

amyv41 wrote:
monte12 wrote:
You should not have lost a processing fee. This alone is a crime.

I couldn't agree more, but the piece of mind I have now is worth that price.

thanks

Can you tell me the ts scam? I want to read it. Thanks!

Angel M.
Aug 05, 2007

tonyp38 wrote:

I paid Condolink fees to rent out my 6 timeshares. They cashed my cheque and I never heard from them again.

Angel M.
Aug 05, 2007

I wrote the resort to give me details, use week, unit number, etc. & requested for Declaration or their terms and conditions, etc. They did not respond to me. I went abroad to follow-up what I thought was a legitimate transaction and i encountered a 4-1-9 Nigerian scam. We lost our livelihood. This resort then billed me for $3,600 for maintenance fees. I offered to give them my timeshares that I paid cash of $15,000, just take it! They responded, they sent me to collections. This billing has grown to $59,000+ according to collections agent. they put a lien on our house.

Anyone, can you please advise me what to do. Yes, I've hired attorneys, case is still pending.

Angel M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.