General Discussion

Mandatory Resort at Starwood

May 19, 2007

Does anyone know what is meant by the term "Mandatory Resort"

Thanks

J Fisher

Kathleen F.
May 19, 2007

Mandatory means when a resort is 'all inclusive' (including all food, all drinks etc.) then it's mandatory that you pay the 'all inclusive' fee.

Some resorts that are 'all inclusive' might not charge the mandatory fee for food and drinks if the people staying there prefer to eat and drink elsewhere.

It all depends on the resort. Most all inclusive resorts are in Mexico.

R P.
May 19, 2007

jayjay wrote:
Mandatory means when a resort is 'all inclusive' (including all food, all drinks etc.) then it's mandatory that you pay the 'all inclusive' fee.

Some resorts that are 'all inclusive' might not charge the mandatory fee for food and drinks if the people staying there prefer to eat and drink elsewhere.

It all depends on the resort. Most all inclusive resorts are in Mexico.

Thanks for your info

Kathleen F.
Jul 23, 2009

That's not what it means. Mandatory resorts can trade internally in the SVN system. Non-Mandatory most probably can't, and have to use the RCI or Interval International system.

Steve S.
Aug 07, 2009

are they great?

Ward D.
Aug 07, 2009

not just in Mexico but also in Dominican Republic. I do not like this mandatory resorts at all. I avoid them like a plague. I like to eat at whatever restaurant I choose to.

Elena D.
Aug 08, 2009

Mandatory at Starwood refers to participation in the SVO program. Some resorts allow nothing, some allow participation and for some, participation in the exchange program is MANDATORY.

This discussion about food and drink being included refers to "All-Inclusive" resorts and has nothing to do with Starwood's Mandatory conditions.

Steve S.
Aug 11, 2009

you have to pay the mandatory fee of the resort and it usually includes all food, beverages, drinks, etc. You need to check the resort to see how much it is per person/per day and what it includes. I do not like these kinds of resorts because sometimes they are expensive and you don't have a choice of where to eat. I like to get out and see how others live and eat where ever I want to eat and at the time that I want to eat. I like to explore.

Elena D.
Aug 11, 2009

elenad5 wrote:
you have to pay the mandatory fee of the resort and it usually includes all food, beverages, drinks, etc....

One more time. This thread does not refer to Mandatory All-Inclusive resorts. See Steve's quote below.

steves91 wrote:
Mandatory at Starwood refers to participation in the SVO program. Some resorts allow nothing, some allow participation and for some, participation in the exchange program is MANDATORY.

This discussion about food and drink being included refers to "All-Inclusive" resorts and has nothing to do with Starwood's Mandatory conditions.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Aug 11, 2009 01:27 PM

Aug 24, 2009

The term Mandatory Resort at Starwood is specifically referring to the resorts where the participation benefits/ability of exchanging within the Starwood Vacation Network properties is passed from a current owner to a new buyer. There are not many mandatory resorts. If you purchase at a non-mandatory resort from a current owner (and not directly from Starwood) you will not be permitted to exchange with any of the other Starwood properties - you could only exchange through Interval International. That is why the resale price for Mandatory resorts is typically far higher than other Starwood resorts. I'm sure they do this to discourage people from buying from re-salers and they obviously want people to buy from them directly.

Alexander T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.