Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Why is there such a big range of prices for resales?

Jul 15, 2007

We originally bought two platinum weeks at newport, and are pretty happy so far - we can reserve the weeks we want, or rent them out when we don't need them. I have considered buying weeks at other Marriott resorts through redweek, but am wary about why apparently similar weeks have very differing prices? Any advice please? thank you!

Colm K.
Oct 17, 2007

I am not an expert but from my experience owning timeshares at the Marriott New Port Villas ($20,000 from builder) and Sunterra at Poipu Point on Kuaui, a reasale for only $10,000. Both 2 bedroom, 2 bath annual use. It has a lot to do with every year use or every other year use, ocean front, ocean view, or garden or pool view, 1 bed, 2 bed, or suite. Season you purchase into. Location, location, location. Trading power with Interval is better with a 5 star location (Interval catolog given only to members) than a lesser home resort. Also the maintenance fees are important as well. If it is a every other year use than you pay only the year you use. Not sure if that will help anyone out there but possibly.

Kim M.

Last edited by kimm112 on Oct 17, 2007 09:26 AM

Oct 17, 2007

Took a look at this after your posting and am a relatively experienced timeshare person on resales but not on this particular resort. The 2BR annual seems to have a range of $13K-20K which really isn't that broad. It's pretty typical. The other poster points out some other things that impact that you should look into. Seasons, locations, fixed vs. flexible etc.

The $8K listing is for a every other year usage and these usually run about 50% of an annual price.

The really high listing looks like it's for a 4 bedroom unit which are rare....still sound expensive since you could buy 2- 2BR theoretically for less but not sure of the layout, maintenance fees etc.

Hope that helps.

Chris S.
Nov 14, 2007

Apart from the issues noted above, just how motivated is the seller has to be considered and how much the seller paid is a factor as well.

Rosemary W.

Last edited by rosemaryw8 on Nov 14, 2007 08:37 PM

Jan 23, 2008

Asking prices are not necessarily selling prices. eBay or contact with a broker specializing in Marriott resales is a better source of market information, in my opinion. My experience has been that ROFR becomes an issue for >16K for platinum and >12K for gold. We own in both seasons and purchased developer a number of years ago. FMV IMO should be around 18K platinum and 13K gold. Obviously, this fluctuates and I expect it to lower somewhat this year with the news of Marriott's coming internal trade system and grandfathering of resale intervals and other procedural changes.

I expect Marriott to pursue ROFR a bit more aggressively if resale prices decline, especially if foreign buyers are increasingly attracted to the SoCal by our cheap dollar. The resort is still in active sales and developer pricing has upticked pretty aggressively since we bought, though it's softened in the last year.

William M.

Last edited by william471 on Jan 23, 2008 02:55 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.