Marriott's BeachPlace Towers

Age of Facility/Any Hurricane Damage

Jul 23, 2007

I'm just interested in finding out if anyone has gone there recently. I'm first going to Orlando, Florida, followed by a week (4/12 thru 4/19/08) to Ft. Lauderdale area with my husband, provided someone puts their unit into Redweek's New Point Exchange System. It looks like it is close to the beach but do I need a car to get around? Is it an older facility? If it were damaged by the hurricane has it been repaired? Thanks for any help.

Mary K.
Jul 29, 2007

nancyj9 wrote:
I'm just interested in finding out if anyone has gone there recently. I'm first going to Orlando, Florida, followed by a week (4/12 thru 4/19/08) to Ft. Lauderdale area with my husband, provided someone puts their unit into Redweek's New Point Exchange System. It looks like it is close to the beach but do I need a car to get around? Is it an older facility? If it were damaged by the hurricane has it been repaired? Thanks for any help.
what is the new red week exchange point system? I have not been there but marriott ususally does a great job after hurricanes-we went to palm beach this april and all was cleaned up mls

Ed S.
Jul 30, 2007

mls3 wrote:
nancyj9 wrote:
what is the new red week exchange point system? I have not been there but marriott ususally does a great job after hurricanes-we went to palm beach this april and all was cleaned up mls

Hi,

Information for RedWeek.com's new exchange program can be found at [urlhttps://www.redweek.com/exchange/[/url].

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 27, 2007

MBP was completed approx 1997. According to the sales associate we spoke with ( you all know about the lips are moving stuff).....the building (all of beach place, as Marriott was also a partner in the shopping areas below the apartments)....were built BEYOND the standards of the hurricane codes including water penitration, full generators and electrical service, and full Dade County Hurricane Windows installed with wind proof ties (?).

MOST Marriott planned high rise buildings follow building codes, maybe even going beyond.

BUT....nearly every hurricane, the management at the Marriott Timeshares (and I guess hotels) push very hard for the people to evacuate. Of all the hurricanes to hit since the building was completed, the building was closed for safety inspections, and some problems with a few of the generators.....according to what staff told me...owners don't believe they ought to close windows and sliders when they leave...maybe not owners, but exchangers.

What has been noticed (and I hope the HOA doesn't fight me on this) is the $$$$ put into the hurricane codes seemed to have effected the quality of the other things in the units.....the faucets are pitting only after 10 years.....while most fixtures have a lifetime finish.

The appliances are those you find in Brands Mart ( like at Sawgrass Mills)....full sized GE (18 CuFt that sells there for under $500.....and so on with all the appliances.

This is a positive for Marriott, but a negative for the owners, because the owners are left to replace more often the poor quality put in the units. ( Always the cheapest stuff seems the Marriott ideas now).

I say now, because the units built in Williamsburg (Manor Club ) has or had the most beautiful themed furnituure and fixtures from the time period ..... solid woods and veneers in the furniture and accessories from American of Martinsville ( made in USA). Of course some of the exchange pigs have no idea of value, and could care less, broke the glass tops of many pieces, and now, I wonder if Marriott and all the others have the right idea in putting in the cheap stuff.

Sorry for rant. IMO....the BEach Place and Ocean Point units are the best value for trades, and price, with lock out units......and easy for most on the East Coast & Central locations to get to if they don't want to fly.....best value, super traders.

Kenneth K.
Aug 27, 2007

I can not post my pages long info on Ft LAud/Hollywood/Palm Beach here. Go to trip advisor.

IF you stay in the Marriott Beach Place, you will not need a car except for supermarket access.

Check www.watertaxi.com and the beach place pier stop. THis taxi will get you all over Ft LAuderdale, from the 17thSt Causeway & convention center at Port Everglades as far N as Oakland Park Blvd, and as far west as the two performing arts center theaters, the Ft LAud opera, the I Max 3D at the Discovery Center & Museum, the Art Gallery, Las Olas, Neiman Marcus/Saks 5th/Burdines/Macys at the Galleria Mall across from the Bonnet House, and onward N to Shooter and Traverna Opa & Charlies Crab....and back again along the New River and the ICW......special tixs have been unlimited for $10.00 a day on & off all day. Tuesday is the trip to Miami via the Westin Diplomat Beachfront hotel in Hollywood.

Unless you want to just relax, there is tons to do....no car needed

Kenneth K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.