Timeshare Companies

Westgate Property Owners

Jan 26, 2008

I claim no knowledge about (nor do I have any ax to grind with) Westgate, but I must admit that this is among a VERY few positive postings I've ever read on any timeshare site in regard to Westgate. Far more often, unhappy Westgate owners (and/or former owners) seem to be ranting and raving about what they seem fond of calling "Wastegate" and grand poohbah "Mr. Seagull". I'm glad that yours seems to be a good experience, but it surely seems to be a statistically minority view...

Part of the reason why Westgate receives the amount of comments it does, could be because they are one of the original time share providers. Being around for a long time allows people to develop deepopinions. Also, the newer timeshare companies have learned from what Westgate had to develop themselves. Finally, I am tired of hearing about people's response to the time share presentation. If you decided to take a discounted rate that required a presentation, put up with the 90 minutes and then leave. If you are an owner or guest, don't accept to go unless you are truly interested in purchasing. If someone is rude to you, let them know and ask to speak to a supervisor immediately. I wish that high pressure sales people did not exist, but believe me, they are not exclusive to Westgate. ------------------------------------------------ Greg: The folks whose input I see have rarely (if ever) mentioned sales presentations. In fact, most such posters on those particular timeshare sites are experienced timeshare owners, well past the point of attending sales-weasel presentations. The dissatisfaction which I so often see expressed seems to consistently be about the management and administrative practices (and attitudes) of Westgate. As stated previously though, I have no personal experience with Westgate; I'm just surprised by the consistent level of dissatisfaction expresssed by its owners. This phenomenon is certainly not limited to Westgate owners, however --- Celebrity also seems to have a consistently dissatisfied owner base.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 26, 2008 06:08 AM

Mar 17, 2008

Sorry about all the problems with Westgate. I used to work there as an inhouse rep. I believe in the system but, the constant hounding of owners made me feel uncomfortable so I left. I think the property that I worked at is oustanding but the negativity that the owners expressed to me because they had been hounded at each visit was too much

Timothy F.
Jun 18, 2009

I purchased a 2 bedroom at the Westgate Vacation Villas week 31 in 1998 for $4500 resale.

Does anyone know what is Westgate doing with my maintanence fee that in 1998 was $450 and in 2009 is $750? I been staying at Westgate for the last 10 yrs or so and I have not seen anything new yet! Oh yea! I see new resorts and new units being built with my money!

Burt T.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 18, 2009 02:16 PM

Jun 18, 2009

johnk143 jayjay

karenw150 wrote:
In answer to Adahiscout and Jayjay:

We would not recommend Westgate to anyone. They have promised a Retail and medical center to be built at Westgate Towers since we purchased in 1998. They goals are in sales not in owners satisfaction. I am going this year and will protest to all potential buyers. I ask that all owners do the same. We purchased week 52 for its trading power and now they have taken that away from us. They trade an extra week they have in inventory not our week. Let our voices be heard.

I second that!

They also been promising a water park at the town center for the last two years. I call last week ans they said that they have not started yet.

One good thing about westgate is that if you wait till the last minute to exchange with interval international, like we do, you are garanteed to end up in a westgate resort.

Hector.

Burt T.
Jun 18, 2009

burtt2 wrote:
I purchased a 2 bedroom at the Westgate Vacation Villas week 31 in 1998 for $4500 resale.

Does anyone know what is Westgate doing with my maintanence fee that in 1998 was $450 and in 2009 is $750? I been staying at Westgate for the last 10 yrs or so and I have not seen anything new yet! Oh yea! I see new resorts and new units being built with my money!

anyone interested in taking of my hands?

Have you done any great exchanges and if so, to where? Do you have a 2 BR unit? Have you enjoyed the use of your timeshare?

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jun 18, 2009 10:45 AM

Jun 19, 2009

burtt2 wrote:

Due to inflation many resorts have to raise their yearly maintenance fees, however if a resort has enough money in reserves such a large increase would not be necessary.

When buying a timeshare you are at the mercy of the HOA or developer concerning maintenance fees and that's one of the main reasons we sold all nine of our timeshares (large increases in yearly maintenance fees).

HOAs and developers raise maintenance fees because they CAN (holding owners hostage) ..... they're spending YOUR MONEY and many HOAs and developers don't seem to maintain a budget in doing so. In this time of deep rescession maintenance fees should remain steady or not rise at all, but many HOAs seem to hide their head in the sand regarding the current recession holding owners hostage to their demands.

For anyone contemplating buying a timeshare, keep in mind the above.

R P.
Jun 19, 2009

On another note, HOAs and developers realize that owners are responsible for maintenance fees until the unit/week changes hands (ie: sold). Even after an owner's death their estate is still responsible for paying maintenance fees. Again, another hostage situation ..... they never tell you that maintenance fees will rise yearly (some skyrocketing) when trying to sell you a week of timeshare.

R P.
Jun 21, 2009

I just came back from the Villas today, They stopped working on the waterpark last year and it looks the same as when we left last year. We went to the Lakes and were told they will have a new waterpark this winter (they didn't even break ground yet) and we kinda laughed at them. It took them 6 extra years to build their towncenter and that isn't what they told us it would be either, mainly a newer building to sell more timeshares. When we bought in 2002 we were told they redo the units every 5 years. Ours still is the same with the same pressboard cabinets that are showing wear. The pools need the most work with the wood rotting on the buildings and most of the umbrellas missing. We complained for the last few years about needing box springs and not just a mattress on a platform. They keep raising their fees but we haven't seen any improvements except a new building where they sell out of.

Harry R.
Jun 24, 2009

mike1536 wrote:
burtt2 wrote:

Have you done any great exchanges and if so, to where? Do you have a 2 BR unit? Have you enjoyed the use of your timeshare?

I have a have a 2 BR unit. I enjoyed the use of your timeshare except for airfare cost (4). If it wasn't for the airfare, we would travel worldwide but since we are now 4 of us we can not travel far with a 3 yr old.

I exchanged to a Marriott Beach Place Towers in Fort Lauderdale. Then I exchanged to arruba twice to Aruba Sonesta Suites. Very nice palce with a private island. The resort is 4 star compared to a Marriott. Ever since I been exchanging our westgate villas to the Westgate town center since our contract say I have to arrive on a sunday (more expensive to fly than Friday)

Burt T.
Jun 25, 2009

burtt2 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
burtt2 wrote:

I have a have a 2 BR unit. I enjoyed the use of your timeshare except for airfare cost (4). If it wasn't for the airfare, we would travel worldwide but since we are now 4 of us we can not travel far with a 3 yr old.

I exchanged to a Marriott Beach Place Towers in Fort Lauderdale. Then I exchanged to arruba twice to Aruba Sonesta Suites. Very nice palce with a private island. The resort is 4 star compared to a Marriott. Ever since I been exchanging our westgate villas to the Westgate town center since our contract say I have to arrive on a sunday (more expensive to fly than Friday)

Sounds like you've had some great vacations. All things being equal $750 isn't too high to have the use of a 2 BR condo for a week. I own a summer New England week where a basic motel room can cost $750 for a week. Hang in there and don't bail out yet. I'm sure when your little one gets older you'll want to take him/her to various places. And eventually, like us the little ones will be grown and my wife and I travel even more.

Mike N.
Aug 14, 2009

In reference to Westgate picking out the week that you deposit into interval; Westgate deposited week 8 for me into Interval (which is not a desirable week). I was not happy about it but I did learn at the owner update that the trick is to do the following: -First, you need to book your week to go on vacation (you decide the week/resort) -Second, you need to call Interval International to deposit your week with Westgate. Depending on your home resort's popularity, II may give you a bonus week for banking your timeshare week.

Rebecca S.
Jul 05, 2011

I wish I had read all of this negative info regarding Westgate I year ago. We purchased a timeshare and so far cannot use it because it is not available when or where we wish to use it. Even at our own unit at Great Smokey Mountains. We just assumed they were such a large organization, they would be on the level. OH NO! They lied during the sales pitch over and over. They give us the run around when we ask questions. "But Mam, I was not there during the sales pitch and I cannot be responsible for what was said." They always have an answer for every thing and will not be responsible for anything. BUYER BE AWARE of Westgate.

Sue H.
Jul 06, 2011

sueh279 wrote:
I wish I had read all of this negative info regarding Westgate I year ago. We purchased a timeshare and so far cannot use it because it is not available when or where we wish to use it. Even at our own unit at Great Smokey Mountains. We just assumed they were such a large organization, they would be on the level. OH NO! They lied during the sales pitch over and over. They give us the run around when we ask questions. "But Mam, I was not there during the sales pitch and I cannot be responsible for what was said." They always have an answer for every thing and will not be responsible for anything. BUYER BE AWARE of Westgate.

I'm confused ..... you said you purchased a timeshare but it's never available when or where you want to use it .... normally when one purchases a week of timeshare that week is owned by them.

Or did you deposit your owned week in an exchange company such as RCI or II. If so, you really need to deposit and plan far in advance (at least 6 months, some people deposit a year in advance) what you wish to trade for, especially for popular resorts/areas during red season.

R P.
Jul 07, 2011

RCI itself recommends that we deposit at least 9 months in advance for maximum trading value, though we don't usually need to select our exchange at that time. MD

Mary D.
Aug 30, 2011

I have been a westgate owner at branson woods since 1996. three months ago, by advesriting in red week, I have a confirmed legimate buyer. Now, Westgate had 30 days to inform the transfer agent of their intent to repurchase the unit. The transfer agent in branson received the written request in the mail 5 weeks later or a week after the 30 days were due. However, westgate by means of pre-dating a letter and changing the date on a postage meter, indicates that their offer was in on time. even thought the transfer agent received all material a week after the cut off date. right now, I have advised the Missouir attorney general and also the better bus. bureau in branson and also in Miami of this attempted fraud in the late repurchase of this property. to me, westgate will utilize their tactics in almost any manner when it is all to their advantage. Why pay up front for a timeshare resale, just pirce it real low and let the timeshare resort repurcahse the unit.

Robert S.
Mar 19, 2012

jayjay wrote:
burtt2 wrote:

Due to inflation many resorts have to raise their yearly maintenance fees, however if a resort has enough money in reserves such a large increase would not be necessary.

When buying a timeshare you are at the mercy of the HOA or developer concerning maintenance fees and that's one of the main reasons we sold all nine of our timeshares (large increases in yearly maintenance fees).

HOAs and developers raise maintenance fees because they CAN (holding owners hostage) ..... they're spending YOUR MONEY and many HOAs and developers don't seem to maintain a budget in doing so. In this time of deep rescession maintenance fees should remain steady or not rise at all, but many HOAs seem to hide their head in the sand regarding the current recession holding owners hostage to their demands.

For anyone contemplating buying a timeshare, keep in mind the above.

Why would you ever own anything that puts you " at the mercy" of anyone?

James B.
Mar 14, 2013

May I ask, did WG purchase your timeshare for a decent price or did they match your buyers price? If I list my timeshare for a low price and WG only matches my buyers purchase price wouldn't it just be quicker to deed it back to WG?

Kathy K.
Mar 15, 2013

Wow, I sold my westgate over red week, for $250 to a family in Iowa, my wife and I am have some health issues and do not plan to travel to branson. Also, at that price, westgate attempted to purchase it back. Of course, they backdatged their intend to excercise their option, they were about 15 days late with their offer. I had to call corporatge office ab out 3 times and they finally said that they would let the sale go through. Also, I notice that westgate is advertise in the AAA issue, the rates area about $10 higher per day than the owner rate. so why own a timeshare, when for about the same price, can still visit the timeshare facilities

Robert S.
Mar 16, 2013

Wondering... how often does Westgate exercise their ROFR? I'm putting in an offer at a prime location that's a great price. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Anna F.
Mar 16, 2013

What location if you don't mind me asking?

Kathy K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.