Timeshare Companies

Ready to buy

Aug 29, 2007

My wife and I travel a lot and are ready to but a timeshare. We have gone to a few resorts to here their sales pitches and they all say the same thing. Their timeshare has the most trading power, theirs is the most desireable, etc. Can anyone give me an idea on where or who I should by from to get the most exchanging power. The two that have stood out the most to me are Tahiti Village in Las Vegas, and the Disney Club. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you.

Edward H.
Aug 29, 2007

edwardh69 wrote:
My wife and I travel a lot and are ready to but a timeshare. We have gone to a few resorts to here their sales pitches and they all say the same thing. Their timeshare has the most trading power, theirs is the most desireable, etc. Can anyone give me an idea on where or who I should by from to get the most exchanging power. The two that have stood out the most to me are Tahiti Village in Las Vegas, and the Disney Club. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you.
====================================

My personal opinions follow (since you've asked):

1. Do NOT buy directly from ANY developer or resort. If you do, you will ALWAYS pay FAR too much. Buy in the resale market only. Make the effort to do a LOT of homework on resale market values for units / weeks at your particular resort(s) of interest. There are numerous sites where it is very easy to do so, including RedWeek, MyResortNetwork.com, Timeshare User Group among perhaps the best sources.

2. Exhange power / trade value has absolutely nothing to do with who you buy from (or what you paid for your week). The exchange value is inherent to the specific unit/week/ resort at which you own your week(s). That trade value does NOT increase if you paid too much, nor does it decrease if you find your week on eBay for $1.00. I am referring specifically to the purchase of a "week", not one of the many and varied points based systems.

3. If a salesman's lips are moving, he's probably lying. Read and learn --- and then read and learn some more (see previously referenced sites, where decades of knowledge are shared by timeshare owners and users). Ignore every word you've ever heard out of a salesman's mouth. They will (and they do) say just about ANYTHING to close a sale to the uninformed.

4. Buy a week you intend to use, where and when you intend to use it. Exchange (trade) value is often an unknown (again, I refer to weeks which are outside of any and all of the assorted "points" based systems). Particularly with several exchange companies now openly renting out deposited units to non-members for peanuts money, "trade value" is fast becoming more and more uncertain all the time.

That's my advice, certainly worth at least what you've paid me for it. ;-)

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 29, 2007 11:54 PM

Aug 30, 2007

edwardh69 wrote:

If money was no object then I would definitely by Disney points. I would imagine you could get most anything you desired in an exchange with Disney points, however they are NOT cheap. Also, from what I've read, Disney points hold their value well which is not so with 99% of other timeshares.

R P.
Aug 30, 2007

BTW, as far as buying a Vegas timeshare (unless you want to buy to use) Vegas has become overbuilt with timeshares in recent years. Although a Tahiti Village timeshare would more than likely be a decent trader, if you want the BEST I would recommend Disney.

Whatever you decide to buy, you can buy on the resale market for much cheaper and you get the same product as a developer bought timeshare minus the developer high costs.

R P.
Aug 30, 2007

Concerning trade power, supply and demand of a resort and timeframe are a major criteria for the best exchanges.

R P.
Aug 31, 2007

edwardh69 wrote:

Buy where you want to go and buy from the resale market!

Debbie A.
Sep 20, 2007

Forget about exchanges and annual maint. fees.

Go with Global Resorts Network.

That's what we did 4 months ago and couldn't be happier.

Mike R.
Sep 20, 2007

edwardh69 wrote:
My wife and I travel a lot and are ready to but a timeshare. We have gone to a few resorts to here their sales pitches and they all say the same thing. Their timeshare has the most trading power, theirs is the most desireable, etc. Can anyone give me an idea on where or who I should buy from to get the most exchanging power. The two that have stood out the most to me are Tahiti Village in Las Vegas, and the Disney Club. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you.

I would say Disney at all times for value. Vegas way to many timeshares same as Orlando. If buying in Orlando the Disney will hold it value more than other timeshares.

I always tell people to only buy where you can enjoy going each year.

We belong to II for one main reason and that is request first trades! You get the trade you want or you keep your home resort to enjoy your vacation.

People that buy to just to trade end up unhappy many times in my opinion!

You asked for our idea's but you did only list two timeshares and most people will tell you to buy Disney!

Phil L.
May 10, 2008

phill12 wrote:
edwardh69 wrote:
My wife and I travel a lot and are ready to but a timeshare. We have gone to a few resorts to here their sales pitches and they all say the same thing. Their timeshare has the most trading power, theirs is the most desireable, etc. Can anyone give me an idea on where or who I should buy from to get the most exchanging power. The two that have stood out the most to me are Tahiti Village in Las Vegas, and the Disney Club. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you.

I would say Disney at all times for value. Vegas way to many timeshares same as Orlando. If buying in Orlando the Disney will hold it value more than other timeshares.

I always tell people to only buy where you can enjoy going each year.

We belong to II for one main reason and that is request first trades! You get the trade you want or you keep your home resort to enjoy your vacation.

People that buy to just to trade end up unhappy many times in my opinion!

You asked for our idea's but you did only list two timeshares and most people will tell you to buy Disney!

I owned Marriott, Starwood, disney and a fractional ownership. the only one with very easy reservations is disney. Starwood is good only for the exact season and property you want to go to. i own at atlantis and love it. marriot i sold for promising whatthey could not deliver! lost huge money too

Meryl N.
May 10, 2008

Disney is most flexible. If not going to go to Orlando than the best use is to bank your points for next year. If you want to go somewhere else it is $$ best to rent your points out as DVC is expensive to purchase just to trade in II every other year, you could buy other TSs to trade (Marriott would be a could choice for trading if you are flexible). Trading TSs is always a "game" that takes sometime/understanding to learn. best to buy to use at the resort or rent other TSs.

Jack S.
May 20, 2008

read the purchasing through resale or resoret section. it has my own marriott experience....buy Disney next choice starwood. no black out dates. Im an owner not a seller

Meryl N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.