Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Timeshare Savings Network

Sep 21, 2007

Has anyone dealt with this company for the resale of a timeshare? A check with the BBB shows no complaints, but I temper this with the fact that they joined the BBB at the end June 2007. The salesman says that a new law was passed in Florida that does not allow commissions to be paid on the sale of timeshares. Anyone heard of this?

T M.
Sep 22, 2007

If they charge an upfront fee then run as fast as you can the other way .... never, ever pay an upfront fee to anyone to sell your timeshare ... it's a total scam.

R P.
Sep 22, 2007

jayjay wrote:
If they charge an upfront fee then run as fast as you can the other way .... never, ever pay an upfront fee to anyone to sell your timeshare ... it's a total scam.

Thanks for the reply. That is my initial instinct. Of course I'll get 18 to 22k for my properties (so he says). I looked on here and saw similar ones in the same locations ranging from $900 to $10,000.

I'm going to ask him for the section of Florida law that says it is illegal to pay commision on the sale of a timeshare.

T M.
Sep 23, 2007

tm47 [Thanks for the reply. That is my initial instinct. Of course I'll get 18 to 22k for my properties (so he says). I looked on here and saw similar ones in the same locations ranging from $900 to $10,000.

I'm going to ask him for the section of Florida law that says it is illegal to pay commision on the sale of a timeshare.[/Q]

This is how they reel their clients in .... telling them their timeshare is worth a very inflated price getting the prospective client all excited that they can get that very inflated price .... then of course they offer their credit card number to the upfront fee company that has lied to them. The client will more than likely never hear from this company again. It's an out and out scam.

R P.
Sep 23, 2007

This is how they reel their clients in .... telling them their timeshare is worth a very inflated price getting the prospective client all excited that they can get that very inflated price .... then of course they offer their credit card number to the upfront fee company that has lied to them. The client will more than likely never hear from this company again. It's an out and out scam.

Been there, done that, been burned quite a few years ago. I just wanted to check and see if anyone has dealt with this company and what the results were. Interestingly, this company has been in business since 2003 and has not had complaints to the BBB. I am intrigued by that.

Anyway, George called me yesterday and I talked at length with him. Of course he was going to be a great guy and waive the $400 deed transfer fee. Isn't it about $50 or so if one files the deed transfer themselves? I also heard that Celebrity resorts had 12,000 tours over the recent labor day weekend. Obviously this was to show me how hot the market is. I replied how nice that was, but that is only for new construction or newly renovated properties and not at the place I own.

He went on to tell in a way how it was illegal to do commissions on sales, that he cannot touch any of the money from the sale price. I asked is this was a federal or state law, and if so what section of law is this since I would like to look it up myself. I received no direct reply.

I was questioned what it would take to sign me up? "Hmmm.., how about a referal list of recent customers of yours, say within the past month to ninety days that owned at the resort I own, received around the price you say they are going for and were happy with the service you provided?"

"I have never been asked this before. I'll have to get approval", was his reply.

The wonderful price that he can get for our unit must have generated quite a few happy customers, correct?

He asked how would I know if the referal was actually a customer of his. "I'll check with the recorder of deeds in the county where the property is located" I answered. He went on to another topic.

The above quotes are loosely paraphrased, your mileage may vary.

T M.
Sep 23, 2007

The BBB is of no use in relation to the timeshare industry, so you can't go by the fact that a resale company has no complaints filed against by the BBB.

The reason he told you that he can't receive a commission on the resale of a timeshare is because timeshare resale companies can't get real estate licenses since they are not selling true real estate, so they charge the upfront fee calling it a listing fee, marketing fee, appraisal fee, advertising fee or whatever fee. Once they get your upfront fee, you will more than likely never hear from them again. Just read all the testimonials here about people being taken in by upfront fee resale scams.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Sep 23, 2007 02:16 PM

Sep 23, 2007

tm47 wrote:
Anyway, George called me yesterday and I talked at length with him. Of course he was going to be a great guy and waive the $400 deed transfer fee. Isn't it about $50 or so if one files the deed transfer themselves?

Whoop-tee-doo to George. These people will fee you to death and tell you anything to separate you from your money. I shudder to think of what they charge upfront even without charging you the bogus $400 transfer fee that anyone can do themselves.

People can sell their own timeshare on ad sites such as Redweek and others on the internet IF they do their homework to try and come up with a fair marketable price.

However, there's a humongus glut of timeshares on the resale market and some people can't even give their timeshare away (it all depends on supply, demand, season and popularity of the resort and week for sale).

R P.
Sep 23, 2007

tm47- you say "Interestingly, this company has been in business since 2003 and has not had complaints to the BBB. I am intrigued by that". The fact that they have no complaints at the BBB means absolutely nothing. The BBB only reports UNRESOLVED complaints and it is at their discretion whether or not a complaint is "resolved". A company could have 20 complaints but if they respond to them, and the bureau thinks it is resolved - it is not reported as a complaint - so long as they "resolve" them - they show a "clean" record with no complaints. So it is nothing (or in the company's best interests) to deal a few complaints to get them off their BBB record, while scamming the hundreds others poor shmucks who don't bother filing a complaint. Also, have a read of mine and Ken's comments about the BBB in the forum topic - Timeshare Companies - and thread - "Has Anyone heard of Americap International Corp?" - pg 5. Trust me, it means absolutely nothing. Bottom line, please do not even think about giving your money to this company if they are asking ANY kind of upfront fee for ANYTHING.

Donna M.

Last edited by donnam326 on Sep 23, 2007 10:45 PM

Oct 01, 2007

Thanks to all for your replies.

Gee, I'm really amazed that George hasn't called at all within the last week. I thought he would be chomping at the bit to give me a list of his satified customers! Just kidding, I knew he wouldn't call back.

T M.
Nov 09, 2007

tm47 wrote:
Has anyone dealt with this company for the resale of a timeshare? A check with the BBB shows no complaints, but I temper this with the fact that they joined the BBB at the end June 2007. The salesman says that a new law was passed in Florida that does not allow commissions to be paid on the sale of timeshares. Anyone heard of this?

Robert F.
Nov 09, 2007

The salesman claims that they are different because they are a mortgage company. They are part of First Freedom Mortgage Group and Friendly Lenders. They want only $984.00 up front since I am selling 2 timeshare properties. They will sell because of thier low financing rates. As usual, the expected sales rates are inflated to make you greedy.

Robert F.
Nov 09, 2007

tm47 wrote:
Thanks to all for your replies.

Gee, I'm really amazed that George hasn't called at all within the last week. I thought he would be chomping at the bit to give me a list of his satified customers! Just kidding, I knew he wouldn't call back.

It sounds like you are doing your homework on this and saving your money.

You would be shocked to find this is one of the top three questions asked on timeshare forums with the answer RUN.

There are so many people that come on these forums and ask about upfront companies and after getting the answer still think they know best. They give their money away and this is what keeps these companies in business.

My own opinion is anyone that goes through all this and still pays upfront deserve to lose their money.

Sounds like you used your head and will save your money! Once George if that really is his name finds you asking some questions the calls will stop because he thinks you have been checking forums for information on them.

GOOD JOB

PHILL12

Phil L.
Nov 09, 2007

robertf276 wrote:
The salesman claims that they are different because they are a mortgage company. They are part of First Freedom Mortgage Group and Friendly Lenders. They want only $984.00 up front since I am selling 2 timeshare properties. They will sell because of thier low financing rates. As usual, the expected sales rates are inflated to make you greedy.

I'd beware of such a company. I've never heard of any mortgage group that sold timeshares .... this could be (probably is) a scam to get your upfront fee.

First rule of thumb is to never ever pay any company an upfront fee to sell your timeshare. There has never been even one confirmed report on all the timeshare forums on the internet where an upfront fee company has sold a timeshare.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.