High Point World Resort

Common Issues

Oct 14, 2007

I would like to communicate with other High Point owners to get their opinions on management, the Board, maintenance fees, etc. Are there other High Point owners out there who wish to join in?

Thomas C.
Mar 24, 2008

thomasc147 wrote:
I would like to communicate with other High Point owners to get their opinions on management, the Board, maintenance fees, etc. Are there other High Point owners out there who wish to join in?

I would like to hear from an existing member as to whether you like this Timeshare or not.

I wouldn't mind doing this if I could visit other places instead of just Florida, but after I visited the Consumer Affairs website and seeing all the complaints about "RCI Vacation Exchange" company, it doesn't look like exchanging for another location is going to happen. Can you shed any light on this or can anybody else who may read this.

My friend was going to donate her "High Point World Resort" RedWeek condo to charity and when I asked her about it and showed interest in it, she said that she would rather give it to me instead of donating it. The fees seem rather high to me at $650. They way I look at it, that is that same as paying $650 per week for a vacation and in Florida that's pretty much average for a week anyway and you're not locked into the same week every year. Lord know what other fees, taxes, etc that I might incur as well.

Richard M.
Mar 24, 2008

richardm457 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:

I would like to hear from an existing member as to whether you like this Timeshare or not.

I wouldn't mind doing this if I could visit other places instead of just Florida, but after I visited the Consumer Affairs website and seeing all the complaints about "RCI Vacation Exchange" company, it doesn't look like exchanging for another location is going to happen. Can you shed any light on this or can anybody else who may read this.

My friend was going to donate her "High Point World Resort" RedWeek condo to charity and when I asked her about it and showed interest in it, she said that she would rather give it to me instead of donating it. The fees seem rather high to me at $650. They way I look at it, that is that same as paying $650 per week for a vacation and in Florida that's pretty much average for a week anyway and you're not locked into the same week every year. Lord know what other fees, taxes, etc that I might incur as well.

Thomas C.
Mar 24, 2008

The unit itself and amenities are OK, about average for other timeshares we have visited over the years. Its biggest attraction is the proximity to Disney World, Epcot, etc. which is just a few miles away.

We have owned there about 20 years, and I've always had a problem with the high maintenance fees and taxes, which were over $700 last year for our 2 bedroom unit. I was told by another owner the 3 member Board is a sham, and the attorney who runs the show also owns the management company which happens to collect huge amounts in annual fees. Apparently there is little oversight in Florida for these things because the industry is big and the dollars involved are enormous.

From what I have read online, many other timeshare owners have similar problems/issues. The bottom line is almost none of the things we were told when we purchased have been true, i.e, the unit would increase in value over time; you can easily rent it for more than your annual fees; you can always trade it for another unit anywhere in the world; you can sell it anytime and either make money or at least get your investment back; and it costs less to own than to rent a similar unit.

The positive side is staying at condos is much much better than motels in my opinion (especially if traveling with kids); we have stayed at some great places that we probably would not have visited had we not been able to trade; it sort of forces you to take a vacation, and I am almost always glad we did; and we have been able to travel with larger parties and stay together.

The RCI membership is a whole other matter, and I won't go into that here. If you have specific questions I'll be happy to try to answer those. I hope this helps.

Thomas C.
May 15, 2008

thomasc147 wrote:
richardm457 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:

Peggy L.
May 15, 2008

peggyl69 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:
richardm457 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:

Peggy L.

Last edited by peggyl69 on May 15, 2008 01:18 PM

May 15, 2008

peggyl69 wrote:
peggyl69 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:
richardm457 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:

Peggy L.
May 17, 2008

peggyl69 wrote:
peggyl69 wrote:
peggyl69 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:
richardm457 wrote:
thomasc147 wrote:

Thomas C.
May 17, 2008

Good luck on selling your unit. I would be interested to know if you get anything close to what you paid. I understand most people who sell their timeshare units don't.

Thomas C.
Jul 28, 2009

I agree with your assessment of current director arrangement and excessive maintenance fees charged. However some owners have been trying to get voted onto the directorship for the past few years with the goal of correcting some obvious conflict of interests. They need your votes especially since any defaulted weeks "votes" goes under control of current management. Voting for anybody other than the original three people (that have been the only directors since the beginning) is a positive move for the majority of owners. However beware of anybody running for office that live in orlando area as they maybe have connections with current management. This small resort (108 units) is very well maintained and have several covered gazebos with propane barbeques,solar heated pool. hot tub and one tennis court that includes a basketball net. The directors do not have any minutes of the annual meetings readily available to the owners. They have hired the legal services of the developers daughter, who seems have too much control that is not in the best interest of the majority of owners.

M A.
Feb 21, 2012

I own a one bedroom unit at High Point World Resort and I also bought in the 80's. My maintenance fees for 2012 is $711 for a one bedroom; but if you were to purchase a one bedroom unit today, the maintenance fee is only $589. How can that be. I think they are scamming all of us. I'm going to call the office and inform them of what I just found on the internet. I suggest everyone do as well.

Rosalie O.
May 15, 2013

We have owned at High Point since 1985. We have been very disappointed in the last few years due to the high maintenance fees (ours are $875 for a 2 bedroom) and few amenities compared to other timeshares. High Point is one of the oldest in the area. We have exchanged for other timeshares several times and have visited some much nicer places. I would recommend re-sales that have lower maintenance fees that go up only minimally every year. We do consider $850 a year for a vacation rental quite reasonable considering it is just like an apartment and better than staying at a hotel.

Theresa S.
May 15, 2013

If searching for a vacation, do so as early as possible. RCI is very frustrating, but we have used it several times. Or check out Interval International instead

Theresa S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.