The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

How much is a timeshare at the Westin Ka'anapali worth on the resale market?

Oct 26, 2007

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this site and the Timeshare market, so all your advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a young family and have been thinking about purchasing a timeshare at the Westin Ka'anapali. Having a familiar place to vacation each year makes it easy to plan with young children. I have seen different level of prices, obviously reflecting the number of rooms, view, and weeks. However, if I want to buy a 2bd.2ba lockoff, island view or ocean view (can't possibly afford oceanfront), annual usage, what can I expect to pay on the resale market. Also, why are the maintenance fees so varied for this property? I have seen some maintenance fees as high as $2000?

Is this a resort where I can find deals from a seller who wishes to sell it below its market value because he/she no longer wants the burden of the annual maintenance fees? Or is this one of the resort that will always sell within or above market levels? I have talked to several resale brokers and they all talk a good game, but I just want some straight answers. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Phuong P.

Last edited by phuongp2 on Oct 26, 2007 12:31 AM

Oct 26, 2007

First off, the Westin is an excellent choice for a family vacation every year. Especially now that the North propertly has gone in, there is dedicated kids pool and play area.

If you want to save cash vs. purchasing from the developer, Redweek is the place to be. The real deal here is that these units are brand new and yet you will be purchasing for 70% of the original purchase price. Other timeshares you may purchase may be less than the original developer prices but the property is 5 to 15 years old.

Jon R.

Last edited by marty8084 on Oct 27, 2007 01:56 AM

Nov 04, 2007

phuongp2 wrote:
Hello all,

I am fairly new to this site and the Timeshare market, so all your advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a young family and have been thinking about purchasing a timeshare at the Westin Ka'anapali. Having a familiar place to vacation each year makes it easy to plan with young children. I have seen different level of prices, obviously reflecting the number of rooms, view, and weeks. However, if I want to buy a 2bd.2ba lockoff, island view or ocean view (can't possibly afford oceanfront), annual usage, what can I expect to pay on the resale market. Also, why are the maintenance fees so varied for this property? I have seen some maintenance fees as high as $2000?

Is this a resort where I can find deals from a seller who wishes to sell it below its market value because he/she no longer wants the burden of the annual maintenance fees? Or is this one of the resort that will always sell within or above market levels? I have talked to several resale brokers and they all talk a good game, but I just want some straight answers. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Daryl K.
Nov 04, 2007

have you had any luck with locating a timeshare in Maui

Daryl K.
Nov 04, 2007

Hi Daryl,

I have had some luck but the owners or their brokers are asking for alot. I do understand that this property is prime, nonetheless, I also look at the opportunity cost of putting so much money foward (because timeshares are really not an investment). I have had more luck with the 1BR units on annual basis and am considering one - but nothing confirmed yet. I hear stories of owners wanting to get rid of their timeshares due to the maintenance fees, lack of travel time each year and the hassle of having to rent it out. Do you have any advice? I am not looking to get it for free but I do want to get it for a reasonable, if not below reasonable price. Also, why would someone buy a timeshare on odd or even year? Do you have any advice for me? I have looked on ebay (have seen quite a few that are reasonable - but gunshy on the bidding thing). Thanks.

Phuong P.
Nov 05, 2007

phuongp2 wrote:
Hi Daryl,

I have had some luck but the owners or their brokers are asking for alot. I do understand that this property is prime, nonetheless, I also look at the opportunity cost of putting so much money foward (because timeshares are really not an investment). I have had more luck with the 1BR units on annual basis and am considering one - but nothing confirmed yet. I hear stories of owners wanting to get rid of their timeshares due to the maintenance fees, lack of travel time each year and the hassle of having to rent it out. Do you have any advice? I am not looking to get it for free but I do want to get it for a reasonable, if not below reasonable price. Also, why would someone buy a timeshare on odd or even year? Do you have any advice for me? I have looked on ebay (have seen quite a few that are reasonable - but gunshy on the bidding thing). Thanks.

The two main reasons 1) Some folks do not want to go to Maui every year due to flight costs, etc and therefore, want to pay 1/2 the maintainance fees of an every year 2) Generally, an EOY is less expensive than an annual. You can either pocket the savings or buy another timeshare in another location of the world that is cheaper (look at RedWeek) and gives you some variety. Also, some folks want a "local" time-share within driving distance so they can save the flight cost every other year. Note a family of 4 to Hawaii is easily $2,400.

Moreover - 1 BR vs 2BR - people choose 2BRs lockoffs because, as the purchase is forever:

1) They may need a 2 BR lockoff if they have kids or if they want to bring family (in-laws to watch the kids for instance) in the future, 2) They may want to vacation with friends, 3) Having a 2 BR lockoff gives you options - namely you can lockoff the 1BR then either rent out the studio, use it as a 2nd week in Maui, or bank in Interval international to be used any time within 3 years.

Jon R.

Last edited by jonr5 on Nov 06, 2007 03:14 PM

Nov 07, 2007

darylk7 wrote:
HI Daryl,

To answer your last question as to the range of my prices. I would say for annual usage (float) 1 BR around 10K or 11K max.

Phuong P.
Nov 08, 2007

phuongp2 wrote:
darylk7 wrote:
HI Daryl,

To answer your last question as to the range of my prices. I would say for annual usage (float) 1 BR around 10K or 11K max.

It appears the least expensive 1 BR annual is starting at 15K. I suggest you negotiate directly with the 1 BR owners by sending email via the posting web site.

Being a 2 BR EOY owner, you will be unlikely to hit that price point with 2 BR E0Y, but if you pay 5 to 7K more you may be able to swing it. Again if you are even remotely interested in, I suggest going back to the posting page and negotiate directly with EOY owners as well.

Jon R.

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 09, 2007 02:36 PM

Nov 09, 2007

jonr5 wrote:
phuongp2 wrote:
darylk7 wrote:
HI Daryl,

It appears the least expensive 1 BR annual is starting at 15K. I suggest you negotiate directly with the 1 BR owners by sending email via the posting web site.

Being a 2 BR EOY owner, you will be unlikely to hit that price point with 2 BR E0Y, but if you pay 5 to 7K more you may be able to swing it. Again if you are even remotely interested in, I suggest going back to the posting page and negotiate directly with EOY owners as well.

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely contact the sellers who have posted on redweek. Also, I will take you up on your offer to call on you for advice. Appreciate the help.

Phuong P.

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 09, 2007 02:36 PM

Jan 06, 2013

Interesting discussion even though it is a bit old. We just purchased a 2 BR L/O Ocean View for Christmas Week (week 51) for $22K. Closing costs were $800. When we did the Westin timeshare presentation 2 weeks ago, they told us they did not have any week 51 inventory. They told us a 2 BR L/O Ocean View floating week would cost us about $70K. Go Redweek!

Amyn R.
Jan 18, 2013

Inventory is getting low at the Westin Ka'anapali. Last year, I did another presentation and wanted a 2 bedroom lockout. I wanted to trade in my 1 bedroom and upgrade. A few years ago, I could of done the trade in but this year, they said no. So, I ended up buying another 1 bedroom. I think they are now slowly closing out the Ka'anapali area and are moving onto the Princeville location which I stayed at last year as well. Princeville is nice but it's on a cliff and beach access is not easy. Depending on what your looking for, you may want to check Princeville out.

Debbie A.

Last edited by debbiea88 on Jan 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Mar 06, 2013

Resale market always cheaper. However, you lose some incentives, points, etc. Bottom line, if you want to pay an extra $20K then by all means buy from the developer. If not, buy on the resale market. You save a lot of money and can buy a lot of hotel rooms and airline tickets for $20,000 you would save.

Resale, resale, resale. that is my recommendation.You can find them from as low as $12,500 to $15,000.

Jo Ann O. trembath
May 25, 2015

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2 br timeshare here at the Westin K Villas. Would like the annual deed. Could careless of the view. Just stayed in a corner unit facing the parking lot and it was not a problem at all. I am confused as I see a range here from $7000 all the way up to 50K on these 2 bdr places. How do you know whats right and legit? Also how come some have resort fees of like $1000, while others have it at $1500? Any help would be great! Thanks

Prateek S.
May 25, 2015

prateeks2-

You would need to contact the owner and/or resort to verify the yearly maintenance fees for a 2 bedroom unit. They can change yearly, so some owners may not have updated the information.

Prices can vary, depending on how much an owner might still owe on their timeshare and how motivated they are to sell. We recommend using a reputable closing company to verify the ownership details and provide a safe transaction.

If you have further questions, please contact Customer Service: Contact Us

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Oct 23, 2021

Greetings Jo Ann! I’ve been a Westin KOR & KORN owner for a long long time - since the beginning of KOR! I have always wanted to chat with someone about their experience AND relationship w/Westin after purchasing from a broker or owner. Could you kindly respond w/a short list of what benefits you forgo when purchasing on the “secondary” market. My 2 primary benefits as a owner are: 1) Right to make reservations 12 months in advance, and 2) changing name of guest on a reservation, at Vistana, when I rent my “ownership” here on RedWeek. Thank You Jo Ann!! Terry

Terry R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.