Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Help a newbie out :) - Trying to rent out my unit before 12/31

Nov 08, 2007

Hello,

Here we are at the end of another year and I have not used my 4500 points...again! I have owned the timeshare for 6 years and have used it exactly 1 time!

In an effort to recoup some of the fees and dues, I decided to try and rent out my unit, but I was wondering what was the easiest way to do so. The points can be used anywhere with Sunterra before the end of the year, for whatever size room will accomodate 4500 points.

When I tried listing the rental with redweek, the form asks for the resort, dates, room size..etc...all of which I can't guarantee until I know where someone wants to go.

I did just list it on craigslist for $700 / week (which only covers my fees for the year) and I asked anyone interested to email me with their desired destination and dates.

Is there an easier way that I am missing?

Thanks for any and all patient advice! Jessica

Jessica G.
Nov 09, 2007

jessicag56 wrote:
Hello,

Here we are at the end of another year and I have not used my 4500 points...again! I have owned the timeshare for 6 years and have used it exactly 1 time!

In an effort to recoup some of the fees and dues, I decided to try and rent out my unit, but I was wondering what was the easiest way to do so. The points can be used anywhere with Sunterra before the end of the year, for whatever size room will accomodate 4500 points.

When I tried listing the rental with redweek, the form asks for the resort, dates, room size..etc...all of which I can't guarantee until I know where someone wants to go.

I did just list it on craigslist for $700 / week (which only covers my fees for the year) and I asked anyone interested to email me with their desired destination and dates.

Is there an easier way that I am missing?

Thanks for any and all patient advice! Jessica

============= Try searching the RedWishes; see if anyone is looking for a unit that fit your description. What type of unit can you book for 4500 points? Are 4500 points sufficient to book a unit somewhere during Christmas vacation? Does the unit have to be used by the end of 2007 or can the use be in 2008, but booked before 31 Dec?

You may want to consider depositing the unit with Redweek. (Fellow posters...do any of you know if depositing a unit booked with Sunterra Points is permissible or would it have the same restrictions as depositing an RCI or II exchange?)

You won't get any money for it, but at least you won't lose the week entirely. You will have points for the next three years and you can deposit your 2008 week to add additional points. Request a free evaluation for a RedWeek exchange. Submit a unit size, location, etc that you know you can book with Sunterra, but make it the "best" that you can offer in terms of location, unit size, and week number. Redweek will tell you how much the unit would be worth in their point system. Good Luck, Mike

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Nov 09, 2007 05:29 AM

Nov 09, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
You may want to consider depositing the unit with Redweek. (Fellow posters...do any of you know if depositing a unit booked with Sunterra Points is permissible or would it have the same restrictions as depositing an RCI or II exchange?)

It's my understanding that you must book a week before submitting to Redweek. Redweek doesn't take points from other groups. I would suggest she book a holiday week, spring break week in Florida or a week in the Colorado Rockies during ski season or any other week that's in high demand.

In this day, depending on the supply and demand of a resort, one does well to get their maintenance fees in return when renting their week contrary to what a slick developer timeshare salesperson may have told you.

R P.
Nov 09, 2007

jayjay wrote:
mike1536 wrote:

It's my understanding that you must book a week before submitting to Redweek. Redweek doesn't take points from other groups. I would suggest she book a holiday week, spring break week in Florida or a week in the Colorado Rockies during ski season or any other week that's in high demand.

In this day, depending on the supply and demand of a resort, one does well to get their maintenance fees in return when renting their week contrary to what a slick developer timeshare salesperson may have told you.

========= Jayjay, I just want to clarify my suggestion about depositing with RedWeek. You are correct that Jessica must book a week before depositing. She should be able to submit a “potential” unit for evaluation and then if she wants, she can then book the unit with Sunterra and complete the deposit. I have previously done this with one of my timeshares. Unfortunately, with 4500 points, I don’t think Jessica can book much more than a studio, during a high demand period. Have a great weekend Mike

Mike N.
Nov 23, 2007

elviem2 wrote:
Hi. I'm interested to rent during the last week of December. I'd like to know the details of your timeshare if still available.

Hello, It is still available. I can use my 4500 points to send you anywhere Sunterra has a resort (and availability). If you let me know what parts of the world you are looking to go, I can check and see what is available. Thanks!

Jessica G.
Nov 23, 2007

jessicag56 wrote:
elviem2 wrote:
Hi. I'm interested to rent during the last week of December. I'd like to know the details of your timeshare if still available.

Hello, It is still available. I can use my 4500 points to send you anywhere Sunterra has a resort (and availability). If you let me know what parts of the world you are looking to go, I can check and see what is available. Thanks!

Jessica,

The best would be to search the RedWish area and also add your rental posting. Book a week at what you think is the most desirable resort. Then just post that one week for rent like normal. If the week needs to be used before the end of the year chose the best week that fits the time frame/area.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.