Marriott's Aruba Surf Club

Right to Use Versus Deeded

Dec 29, 2007

What is the difference when a timeshare is listed as "right to use" versus a "deeded" unit?

Louis S.
Dec 29, 2007

louiss54 wrote:
What is the difference when a timeshare is listed as "right to use" versus a "deeded" unit?

Deeded Property: True property ownership with deed recorded in the county where the property exists. This type of property has the same rights of ownership accorded to it as other deeded real estate. The owner may sell, rent, bequeath, or give away the property.

Right to Use (RTU): A lease, or right to use ownership grants the lessor the right to use the property for a specified period of time; usually from 20 to 99 years. The resort developer or Management Company holds ownership of the physical property. However, during the right-to-use period, the owner may rent, transfer, or bequeath the remaining years of their right to use property.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Feb 29, 2008

louiss54 wrote:
I believe that all Aruba units are right to use. If people are listing them as deeded, I think they don't understand what they own.

Steven A.
Apr 19, 2008

BE SMART...DO NOT BUY TIMESHARES...TOO MANY UNKNOWNS. I SHOULD KNOW...I OWN 3. 2 IN STATES AND ONE IN ST MARTIN. DON'T GET HOOKED INTO "THE DREAM". YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A REASONABLE RENT AND GO ANYTIME YOU WISH. THAT...IS MY OPINION!

Holly S.
May 21, 2008

teetera wrote:
louiss54 wrote:
I believe that all Aruba units are right to use. If people are listing them as deeded, I think they don't understand what they own.

I own a deeded timeshare week at The Marriott Aruba Surf Club which I purchased though Marriott

Paula F.
Dec 12, 2008

Marriott did not sell any of them deeded when they sold the Aruba units as far as I know. As the previous post said, are you sure you have a deed, or a 60 year lease? Check again

St. Kitts was sold as deeded but Aruba was not

Scott E.
Jan 16, 2012

Any one know if Royal Palm in St. Maarten is Deeded or RIght to use?

Michael D.
Nov 24, 2012

I am just starting to look into this and I too wanted to know the difference. Still not sure I understand because as one of the posts above stated, it appears the laws of Aruba do not allow for actual deeded proprty because Aruba owns the land and only leases the land to the developer. So does that mean that all timesharesat this property end after 60 years? I know the posts above are old but would appreciate it if anyone knows the answer and can explain. I was thinking about buying a timeshare at this property but not sure now since it appears it ends in 60 years and there are no deeded properties.

Carmen M.
Dec 10, 2012

if im not mistaken, aruba surf is deeded and is transferable.

Chris A.
Feb 10, 2013

When I asked the direct question to Michelle, who has been in sales at the Surf Club since it started construction, this was his answer. Everyone who bought a timeshare, has a RTU until the year 2060. This is because the land on which the Surf Club sits, is owned by the Aruba government. At the end of the RTU period, if the government decides not to extend the RTU, they must buy everyone out. In my opinion, this would never happen because the Aruba government knows that tourism is the mainstay of the island income. Anyone who says they are deeded should look at their documentation very carefully, because my two do not use the word "deed" anywhere.

Robert S.
Nov 06, 2013

i have deeded it states deeded

Trudy M.
May 05, 2014

I believe the Surf Club started out deeded but the past few years have been only RTU. I have a friend who has a unit with a deed, she bought a few years ago. I have another friend who bought last year but it's RTU. Now since there are no units to be sold by Marriott at the Surf Club there they have decided to sell points, $$$$.

Sharon L.
Nov 07, 2017

RTU versus Deeded has nothing to do with the Aruban governement. There are many timeshares in Aruba that are deeded. I own several, including at the Marriott Ocean Club. RTU is something Marriott decided would be in Marriotts best interest..they wanted to be able to sell the same properties in the future, maximizing profits. Now they sell points as another way to maximize profits without increasing inventory.

Christopher L.
Mar 02, 2019

Bought an Aruba Premium unit - $30k. Used it for 10 years - great family time. Rent it out now because I can't go that week. Get about $4k, pay about $1,700 annually I think, so I see $2000+ on my unit profit every year. 6-7% annual return plus I can sell it at some point. Not a horrible deal.

Tom B.
Mar 10, 2019

Marriott did sell deeded time shares. These you own forever and can be passed down. Right to use is for a specific time period.

Alan P.
Dec 30, 2021

I hope this thread is still live and someone can answer my question If you buy a deeded week listed as high season , floating do you have any better chance of getting the week you want than the crazy vacation club points system. ?( I own points and hate the stress ) If it says deeded and a specific week do you always get to book it hassle free ? ( a sure bet so to speak ) The two resorts I want to buy are Aruba Surf Club and Ocean Pointe in Florida Thank you

Loretta W.
Jan 29, 2023

Is there a possible federal tax on the rented timeshare and I wonder if right to use makes a difference if that ugly $600.00 income declaration comes into effect. We don’t own the Marriott timeshare nor can we really call it real estate so I wonder?

Michael B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.