Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting my vacation Weeks

Mar 18, 2008

When I purchased my time share they threw in 2 additional weeks that I can use at any RCI resort around the world I only need to pay for the first night. How would I go about renting these out since it is not a set week or a set resort?

Sally T.
Mar 18, 2008

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot. Are the 2 additional weeks in your RCI account? Are the weeks transferrable?

R P.
Mar 18, 2008

jayjay wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot. Are the 2 additional weeks in your RCI account? Are the weeks transferrable?

Yes they are in the RCI account and I'm not exactly sure what transferrable means. Sorry I'm new to all this.

Sally T.
Mar 18, 2008

Since the weeks have been deposited into your RCI account .... RCI rules state that deposited weeks can't be rented or sold. If you were selling your timeshare, the weeks could be transferred to a buyer if the buyer is an RCI member. The only solution I see is that you confirm reservations somewhere and use those confirmations yourself or you can give/gift those confirmations to family or friends by buying RCI guest certificates. The only compensation to you being the guest certificate fee and the exchange fee (totalling around $200 for each confirmation).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 18, 2008 10:33 AM

Mar 18, 2008

Maybe I am mistaken by saying they are in my account I haven't deposited anything. From what I understand I have the week where I stay at my timeshare and then I have two additional weeks where I can stay anywhere at anytime. I'm under the impression that when I want to use those weeks I call up and book them. But I haven't done anything with them, nothing has been deposited.

Sally T.
Mar 18, 2008

I would sign up with RCI to view your account online ( www.rci.com ). It's easy to do and then you'll know exactly what is deposited and handling your account is much easier than trying to talk to a guide by phone. I never talked to a guide when I was an RCI member, I did everything online. When you figure out if the additional weeks are deposited or not, then you'll have a clearer picture of what you're dealing with. If they are not deposited, then I have no idea how they can be rented. You might ask the resort where you bought how the additional weeks can be utilized or rented.

R P.
Mar 18, 2008

These additional weeks may or may not be like the "bonus weeks" I get from Interval International (a developer "perk" I received with my purchase that's barely worth the electronic paper they're printed on). If your additional weeks are just "bonus weeks" from the RCI inventory (not actual weeks from your resort), then you can't rent them out (see jayjay's 10:31 post). My bonus weeks show up in my II account annually without any action on my part. I do not know if RCI handles these the same way. As jayjay said, check your RCI account.

Mike N.
Mar 25, 2008

WHAT OTHER AVENUES , IF ANY HAS ANYONE USED WITH SUCCES IN RENTING THEIR TIME SHARE WEEKS? ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED. i HAVE A WEEK AT DISNEY AND 2 IN COLORADO WHICH I HAVE.

THANKS lEROY

Duplicate Account - Leroy M.
Mar 26, 2008

leroym6 wrote:
WHAT OTHER AVENUES , IF ANY HAS ANYONE USED WITH SUCCES IN RENTING THEIR TIME SHARE WEEKS? ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED. i HAVE A WEEK AT DISNEY AND 2 IN COLORADO WHICH I HAVE.

THANKS lEROY

============= First, if your weeks are floating weeks and have not yet been reserved, book a high demand week (Colorado, ski week; Disney, vacation/holiday week). If your weeks are at a high demand resort (Marriott, Disney resort, etc), you would have an easier time renting out the unit.

I’ve had luck with the RedWeek rental program and with Vacation Timeshare Rentals (www.vacationtimesharerentals.com). There are others such as TUG, bidshares, and myresortnetwork. Some programs are free and some have very minimal fees. For what it’s worth (I like it), Vacation Timeshare Rentals has a feature where you can see how many times your ad has been viewed.

Search all the ads for your resort and similar ones in the surrounding area and price your rental accordingly. You should also check the RedWeek, TUG, and Vacation Timeshare Rentals ‘Want Ad’ sections. I’ve seen many want ads from people looking for Orlando resorts.

Keep in mind there are literally hundreds of thousands of rental properties being advertised on the internet, so don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t happen overnight. Many people wait until the “last minute” to look for rentals. Good Luck

Mike N.
Mar 31, 2008

jayjay wrote:
Since the weeks have been deposited into your RCI account .... RCI rules state that deposited weeks can't be rented or sold. If you were selling your timeshare, the weeks could be transferred to a buyer if the buyer is an RCI member. The only solution I see is that you confirm reservations somewhere and use those confirmations yourself or you can give/gift those confirmations to family or friends by buying RCI guest certificates. The only compensation to you being the guest certificate fee and the exchange fee (totalling around $200 for each confirmation).

Dear JayJay, I have seen many of your postings on Redweek, and recognize you to be an extremely knowledgeable authority on all facets of the time share industry. I am positive that I can rely on your guidance. I would like to rent my week at the Marriott Newport Coast Villa's that I have already reserved this coming August. Obviously I have never rented before, and I want to know what the proper steps are. I understand that I will need to get a rental agreement, or utilize the escrow service being offered on the Redweek site, for about $100 to each party. Do you recommend going the escrow route, since it is my first time into uncharted waters, or go the rental agreement route? Thanks for your advice. Chuck

Charles G.
Apr 01, 2008

chuckg21 wrote:
Dear JayJay, I have seen many of your postings on Redweek, and recognize you to be an extremely knowledgeable authority on all facets of the time share industry. I am positive that I can rely on your guidance. I would like to rent my week at the Marriott Newport Coast Villa's that I have already reserved this coming August. Obviously I have never rented before, and I want to know what the proper steps are. I understand that I will need to get a rental agreement, or utilize the escrow service being offered on the Redweek site, for about $100 to each party. Do you recommend going the escrow route, since it is my first time into uncharted waters, or go the rental agreement route? Thanks for your advice. Chuck

Hi chuck ... I would definitely use a rental agreement. You can search forums (right hand corner of this page) for sample rental agreements.

As far as using an escrow service, it's a personal choice, however there are thousands of owners that rent their timeshares without using an escrow service. Also it's possible that a renter may not be willing to pay an extra $100 for the service.

When you decide to rent your timeshare, click on Sell Or Rent Your Timeshare above and a page will come up that will tell you everything you need to know about placing your ad. It's very easy to place an ad on Redweek and that's one reason why this site is so very popular.

Good luck.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 01, 2008 07:18 AM

Apr 01, 2008

jayjay wrote:
chuckg21 wrote:

Hi chuck ... I would definitely use a rental agreement. You can search forums (right hand corner of this page) for sample rental agreements.

As far as using an escrow service, it's a personal choice, however there are thousands of owners that rent their timeshares without using an escrow service. Also it's possible that a renter may not be willing to pay an extra $100 for the service.

When you decide to rent your timeshare, click on Sell Or Rent Your Timeshare above and a page will come up that will tell you everything you need to know about placing your ad. It's very easy to place an ad on Redweek and that's one reason why this site is so very popular.

Good luck.

Thank you JayJay, I knew that you would have excellent advise. Other question, is it reasonable to request a modest deposit from the renter as part of the rental agreement? Chuck

Charles G.
Apr 02, 2008

Yes, you should definitely request a deposit ... some people ask for 50% of the rental as a deposit with the balance due a few weeks for the rental date, but it's up to you what you ask.

SAMPLE RENTAL AGREEMENT:

RESERVATIONS - Upon mutual agreement of unit rental, a ____% deposit must be made to confirm your reservation. Balance is due upon written confirmation or no later than _________, 2008. Payment is to be made with a bankcheck/draft (or a personal check if you accept that mode).

CANCELLATIONS - No cancellation allowed once a reservation has been made.

CHECK-IN/OUT - Check-in time is _____ P.M. on arrival date of __________, 2008. Check-out time is _____A.M. on date of departure of_________, 2008. Any exceptions must have prior approval from the owner and/or resort. The agreed upon rental price for the above stated timeframe or week of ______, 2008 is ________$ for unit number ____ at _________ (resort).

RULES AND REGULATIONS - Upon check-in, you must present a credit card to the front desk personnel, just like when you rent a hotel room. YOU are responsible for any damage, loss or theft incurred while renting this property. Any damage, which is not considered normal wear and tear, loss or theft caused by you, the renter, may be charged to your credit card. In order to reserve the integrity of the unit, we ask that it be occupied in a quiet and dignified manner. As guests of ______________(resort), you are expected to respect the premises and its contents and guard against damage, loss or theft. You are expected to adhere to all of _______________(resort) rules and regulations. The _____________ (resort), its employees and property owners will not be held libel for any claims, suits, damages, costs, losses and/or expenses arising from injury to any person or property occurring on the premises resulting from/relating to rental of this property. The renter must be at least 21 years of age and agrees not to sub-rent this unit. The rental rights acquired from this rental agreement are non-transferable.

TELEPHONE - All telephone calls, toll calls etc. will be billed to your credit card. NO PETS ALLOWED AT______________ (RESORT) AND NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN THE UNITS. A copy of this rental agreement is hereby acknowledged by both parties.

_________________ _________________ Signature of renter Signature of owner

Name, address, phone Name, address, phone __________________ __________________

R P.
Apr 26, 2008

[Hi Leroy i have used Redweek and sucessfully rented 3 weeks in Palm Springs over new years. HIgh demand. Also one of the people i corresponded with used Craigslist and was very happy, since she had no responce on the Redweek ad she had. I also have tried to use myresortnetwork.com but cant figure out how to use it. The craigslist lady had much experience with it and a pretty short time till it expiered and it was in Hawaii, which is very high demand

Teri M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.