Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Timeshare purchase advice

May 26, 2008

I am new to timesharing and, other than the basic principles, not very knowleagable on the subject. I am thinking of buying a timeshare. From the little research I have done so far I think the point based sytems are better than the week based systems. Any thoughts on this and any other advice for a first time timeshare purchase would be really appreciated. Such as, web sites to check for timeshare resales, hidden fees to watch for or any other things that the average person wouldn't think about. Thanks

Glen & Jennifer M.

Last edited by glenjenniferm on May 26, 2008 04:12 PM

May 26, 2008

glenjenniferm I am new to timesharing and, other than the basic principles, not very knowleagable on the subject. I am thinking of buying a timeshare. From the little research I have done so far I think the point based sytems are better than the week based systems. Any thoughts on this and any other advice for a first time timeshare purchase would be really appreciated. Such as, web sites to check for timeshare resales, hidden fees to watch for or any other things that the average person wouldn't think about. Thanks[/Q ================== Check out www.tug2.net. There are forums for various resort systems, points systems, and more...much more than I could ever give you in one response. Happy hunting.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on May 26, 2008 05:17 PM

May 30, 2008

Before you buy, rent awhile. I have gone on many tours and owned many different type of TS, and have to say that Wyndam is the best bargain resale, and allows me much flexibility from a weekend trip to 1 week or more. The best number of Wyndam FSP points to start off with is 154,000 and will run you about $1550-$2500 RESALE (never purchase a TS new - you save from 20%-90% when you purchase it resale).

Lanita P.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 30, 2008 01:13 PM

Jun 04, 2008

glenjenniferm wrote:
I am new to timesharing and, other than the basic principles, not very knowleagable on the subject. I am thinking of buying a timeshare. From the little research I have done so far I think the point based sytems are better than the week based systems. Any thoughts on this and any other advice for a first time timeshare purchase would be really appreciated. Such as, web sites to check for timeshare resales, hidden fees to watch for or any other things that the average person wouldn't think about. Thanks

We own a point timeshare with the Hilton. We are a very busy family (4 kids) and this works for us. We can't always get away for a whole week. Big Fan of Points!!

Cathy V.
Jun 17, 2008

glenjenniferm I am new to timesharing and, other than the basic principles, not very knowleagable on the subject. I am thinking of buying a timeshare. From the little research I have done so far I think the point based sytems are better than the week based systems. Any thoughts on this and any other advice for a first time timeshare purchase would be really appreciated. Such as, web sites to check for timeshare resales, hidden fees to watch for or any other things that the average person wouldn't think about. Thanks

Marianne J.
Jun 17, 2008

glenjenniferm wrote:
Be in no rush to buy Timeshare..read as much as you can..check out Forums and read the info regarding experiences others have...without knowledge you will be in the whales belly. This is high pressured sales and the representatives at these resorts will tell you all these white collar lies to get you to buy...then once you are suckered..you are stuck...make sure you review the contract when you get home..possible have someone with legal knowledge look them over for you...we are a victim in this area and will do everything we possible can to save others...I think the points works the same as the week...however the number of points you have determine how long you can stay there. Try not to buy directly from any resort...check the Better Business Bureau for reports...be very careful if you decide to buy. Also check out rippoffreport.com.

Marianne J.

Last edited by mariannej10 on Jun 17, 2008 04:23 PM

Jun 21, 2008

If you can get 154,000 points for 2500.00 with Wyndham Resorts point system, please let me know. I have several units. I don't see them going that cheap. This is a great resort and the point system is wonderful.

Emily H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.