Timeshare Companies

Westin Kaanapali

Jun 10, 2008

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of buying a re-sell timeshare @ the Westin Kaanapali Maui. My in laws own there and we just returned and think it is a great resort. Having never bought a TS and receiving unsound advice ( in my opinion ) from the same in-laws such as only buy from tShe developer, I have a lot of questions. I have been reading redweek and Tug for a couple of years and have learned a great amount. What a valuable resource. So, just a few questions: Staroptions: due you have to pay to exchange into another westin resort and are you only eligible to stay @ westin TS properties? Due you have to belong to II and if so, is there an annual fee when buying resale?

Right of first refusal: I see a lot of seemingly good deals here on redweek and my resort networks compared to what the developer wants? Does the developer exercise this option a lot?

Lockoffs: We are interested in a 2bd lockoff eoy. Could we deposit the studio for points or for use the following year to make annual trips possible, or do you have to use it the same year?

Also, do people that buy resale get treated the same as any other owner or do you have a black mark against you? I know, maybe a dumb question but I had to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jesse

Jesse C.
Jun 12, 2008

This should help with all your questions:

http://www.tug2.net/advice/Starwood_Vacation_Network.htm

But I'll try to help anyways.

First off, this is what they call a mandatory resort. So you will automatically be joined in to the Starwood Network. That entitles you to have StarOptions. It currently costs $109/year to be a member of the Starwood Network. You can then exchange those StarOptions for other Starwood properties. If you want to exchange outside of Starwood you must use II. II yearly dues are included in your membership, so you don't have to pay extra for that. You will have the pay the II exchange fee however.

Starwood rearly exercises ROFR. You shouldn't need to worry about that.

And yes, you can use one side of your lock-off and exchange the other side for StarOptions. You must use StarOptions in the same year. They do NOT carry over. Even if you have a EOY.

I am a resale owner and have been treated great by Starwood! Be aware that with a resale you do not get to participate in the converstion to StarPoints however...

Brad K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.