Jun 10, 2008

Hi, I am looking to rent my 2 bedroom unit at the Westin St. John for the first time. How do owners generally go about arranging payment and what kind of time frame should you use in so far as requiring final payment before the stay? Does anyone require a security deposit to cover damages or will their credit card number they give at check in generally cover this? Any advice as to the pitfalls of renting ones unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Randy C.
Jun 11, 2008

If you click "search forums" above and enter "rental", you will easily find dozens of Redweek postings addressing rentals. Read through those posts and you will find answers to all of your questions (and others that you haven't asked). You will also find sample rental agreements on this site --- and on virtually any other timeshare related web site.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 11, 2008 05:26 AM

Jun 11, 2008

hcrcmc wrote:
Hi, I am looking to rent my 2 bedroom unit at the Westin St. John for the first time. How do owners generally go about arranging payment and what kind of time frame should you use in so far as requiring final payment before the stay? Does anyone require a security deposit to cover damages or will their credit card number they give at check in generally cover this? Any advice as to the pitfalls of renting ones unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, The best way I have found is to advertise with your weekly rate and then ask for 1/2 at time of booking and the other half approx. 3 months before actual trip. If rental is sooner than ask for a check in full. If you are nervous, you can always ask for a bank check or money order, but I have never been burned. As far as a security deposit, I have found that most timeshare renters are family minded or couples not PARTY Singles. Since the reservation will be in their name and a credit card # on file at the main desk, I would think they would be responsible for any damage. Relax, it's not difficult and you will find most people to be quite nice.

As an aside, we have an annual fixed week( New Years Week) in Grand Cayman and will be looking for an exchange for 2009...Interested?

Randy L.
Jun 11, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
If you click "search forums" above and enter "rental", you will easily find dozens of Redweek postings addressing rentals. Read through those posts and you will find answers to all of your questions (and others that you haven't asked). You will also find sample rental agreements on this site --- and on virtually any other timeshare related web site.

Thanks so much for the infomation!

Randy C.
Jun 11, 2008

letzdance wrote:
hcrcmc wrote:

Hi, The best way I have found is to advertise with your weekly rate and then ask for 1/2 at time of booking and the other half approx. 3 months before actual trip. If rental is sooner than ask for a check in full. If you are nervous, you can always ask for a bank check or money order, but I have never been burned. As far as a security deposit, I have found that most timeshare renters are family minded or couples not PARTY Singles. Since the reservation will be in their name and a credit card # on file at the main desk, I would think they would be responsible for any damage. Relax, it's not difficult and you will find most people to be quite nice.

As an aside, we have an annual fixed week( New Years Week) in Grand Cayman and will be looking for an exchange for 2009...Interested?

Thanks very much - the exchange sounds nice, but unfortunately we are limited by school vacation and work, so February is it for us.

Randy C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.