Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Timeframe for ownership transfer?

Jul 16, 2008

Hi! Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for a timeshare resale ownership transfer to show up at the resort after the deed has been recorded? I purchased a resale timeshare via Redweek.com at Vistana Resort in Orlando in late April and received the actual recorded deed about 4 to 6 weeks ago but Sheraton is still not showing me as the owner yet. I don't want to waste time calling if I'm really too early. Thanks!

Lisa E.
Jul 16, 2008

lisae98 wrote:
Hi! Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for a timeshare resale ownership transfer to show up at the resort after the deed has been recorded? I purchased a resale timeshare via Redweek.com at Vistana Resort in Orlando in late April and received the actual recorded deed about 4 to 6 weeks ago but Sheraton is still not showing me as the owner yet. I don't want to waste time calling if I'm really too early. Thanks!
================ IMHO, it wouldn't hurt to call. If they are sitting on the paperwork, then maybe youi could encourage them to finish the job. If they don't have any paperwork, then you have time to track down where in the process it might be stalled.

Mike N.
Jul 16, 2008

lisae98 wrote:

Who handled the closing? Were they responsible for notifying the resort? Did you pay the resort transfer fee? Most, if not all, resorts charge a fee for transferring ownership on their records and this will range from $75 to $500 (Hyatt). I have sold several timeshares in the past sometimes handling the closing myself - some buyers will actually trust seller to handle closing - and sometimes using a closing company and the resort typically changes their ownership records within 30 days of the deed filing. I suspect that whoever handled the closing did not notify the resort and/or the fee to transfer ownership has not been paid.

Carvan A.
Jul 17, 2008

Thanks for the info - the transfer was handled by Timeshare Transfer, Inc. and all fees were paid. They are responsible for notifying the resort (that was part of the service) and their website says it can take some time to update but I'm not sure how long is too long. I will try to call them to see if they have notified Sheraton yet like they are supposed to.

lisae98 wrote:

Who handled the closing? Were they responsible for notifying the resort? Did you pay the resort transfer fee? Most, if not all, resorts charge a fee for transferring ownership on their records and this will range from $75 to $500 (Hyatt). I have sold several timeshares in the past sometimes handling the closing myself - some buyers will actually trust seller to handle closing - and sometimes using a closing company and the resort typically changes their ownership records within 30 days of the deed filing. I suspect that whoever handled the closing did not notify the resort and/or the fee to transfer ownership has not been paid.

Lisa E.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.