Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is anyone familiar with Crown Park Resort in Gatlinburg Tennessee?

Aug 05, 2008

I purchased a 2BR/2BA unit at Crown Park Resort in 2006 and haven't been able use it once. Is anyone familiar with the Resort and how to get the most out of their timeshare? I am interested in renting out some of the weeks but don't know how becasue I don't have set dates. I also have to book my own resort through RCI. All I know is that I have 54,000 points each year, 18 weeks for the spring, summer and fall.

Hope M.
Aug 05, 2008

hopem21 wrote:
I purchased a 2BR/2BA unit at Crown Park Resort in 2006 and haven't been able use it once. Is anyone familiar with the Resort and how to get the most out of their timeshare? I am interested in renting out some of the weeks but don't know how becasue I don't have set dates. I also have to book my own resort through RCI. All I know is that I have 54,000 points each year, 18 weeks for the spring, summer and fall.
================== May I ask why you haven't used it? If you don't want to stay in TN, you should be able to find some nice vacations in the US using your 54,000 RCI Points. You obviously purchased the TS to use for vacations, so before you try to rent it, you should use it for your own enjoyment.

If you want to rent it out, you first need to reserve a week through RCI. You must reserve a week that coincides with the week listed on your deed. In other words it appears you can reserve a 2 BR during weeks 14-21, 32-36, or 43-47 (I believe this would be done 11-12 months prior to the check-in date). I would suggest reserving a summer week since that is when the demand seems to be the highest.

After you secured the reservation you can rent using any of the various websites (TUG, RedWeek, myresortnetwork, vacationtimesharerentals just to name a few). Some are free, some require a small fee (less than $25). DO NOT pay any third party an upfront fee to have them list your TS for rent.

Mike N.
Aug 05, 2008

Also, fall leaf season is a very popular time in the Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountains area and is over run with tourists seeking to see the beautiful changing colors of the leaves from summer to fall. I would definitely book a couple of weeks during that time (typically the 3rd or 4th week in October, for peak color, or the 1st couple of weeks in November, which may not be peak color, but there's still plenty of color).

Park Place is the newest timeshare resort in Gatlinburg and it's the resort closest to the main drag and is within walking distance to everything in downtown.

We've stayed at Gatlinburg Town Square, next door to Park Place, and it's also a very nice timeshare resort.

I also have to ask why you haven't used your timeshare, exchanged or rented your weeks? The WORST thing a timeshare owner can do is NOT USE their timeshare in some capactity whether renting, exchanging or using it themselves.

R P.
Aug 07, 2008

jayjay wrote:
Also, fall leaf season is a very popular time in the Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountains area and is over run with tourists seeking to see the beautiful changing colors of the leaves from summer to fall. I would definitely book a couple of weeks during that time (typically the 3rd or 4th week in October, for peak color, or the 1st couple of weeks in November, which may not be peak color, but there's still plenty of color).

Park Place is the newest timeshare resort in Gatlinburg and it's the resort closest to the main drag and is within walking distance to everything in downtown.

We've stayed at Gatlinburg Town Square, next door to Park Place, and it's also a very nice timeshare resort.

I also have to ask why you haven't used your timeshare, exchanged or rented your weeks? The WORST thing a timeshare owner can do is NOT USE their timeshare in some capactity whether renting, exchanging or using it themselves.

Thank you both for your replies to my situation. There are a few reasons that it hasen't been used but mostly because it is extremely frustrating. I purchased this timeshare which they claimed was NOT a timeshare before I was married. This money is directly taken out of my account every month that I keep putting money in every month and rarley want to check the balance. It hasn't been an easy task conviencing my husband that it's worth it because the more I learn about how hard it is to sell this the less convienced I am. Also for the last two years it seems when we look into booking our points for a trip we have to pay our annual dues(this kind of kills the mood). It's a headacke that we want to disappear.

I am taking the good advise you both have gave and going to try and use it. I think this is the best way to get past the fact I have paid ober 15K for fees and pmts and still have 9K left on the loan.

Hope M.
Aug 07, 2008

hopem21 states in relevant part: >> I purchased this timeshare which they claimed was NOT a timeshare before I was married.<< =======================================

Could you elaborate further on this statement?

I have never before heard of any timeshare being sold as anything but exactly that --- a timeshare. Accordingly, I'm genuinely puzzled (and intrigued) by your statement.

What exactly did you believe you were buying? How exactly was it represented to you, if not as a timeshare? Since you obviously financed the purchase, you clearly signed a contract and loan agreement. What exactly did those contract documents say in describing your purchase?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 07, 2008 06:50 AM

Aug 07, 2008

Park Place has always been a timeshare resort. While staying next door at Gatlinburg Town Square many times, we saw Park Place being built from the ground up. Park Place has now completely obliterated the view of downtown Gatlinburg from Gatlinburg Town Square. I'm glad we stayed at GTS while the view of downtown was still possible at Christmas one year when we saw all the Christmas lights and decorations from our unit. They tore down an Outback Steak House and parking lot to build Park Place.

I'm glad to know that you're going to either use your week, rent it or exchange it because it's almost impossible to sale a timeshare that has a mortgage on it. Many people have bought from the developer (our first was bought from a developer), but we learned to use that week to our advantage and we went on to buy several other weeks resale.

R P.
Aug 07, 2008

hopem21 wrote:
Also for the last two years it seems when we look into booking our points for a trip we have to pay our annual dues(this kind of kills the mood). It's a headacke that we want to disappear.

Regrettably, maintenance fees are a necessary evil when owning timeshares and I'm sorry to say that your headache will not disappear unless you want your credit ruined (1. owing a mortgage 2. yearly maintenance fees) and if either is reneged on, creditors will come after you.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.