Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

No Deed to Outer Banks Beach Week

Aug 15, 2008

Make sure you really get a deed to your timeshare week (if it's supposed to be deeded) and that it is properly recorded. Deeds are usually sent after your closing so you might forget about it. I purchased a week at the Outer Banks Beach Club in 1989, used it frequently, paid all maintenance fees on time, and discovered when I was ready to sell it that I never had a deed recorded. The resort itself, the parent company Festiva, the management company Defender Realty (SPM), and the Outer Banks Resort Rentals (resale company where I bought it) all have been of no help. Be sure you really have a recorded deed.

Lin L.
Aug 16, 2008

linl2 wrote:
Make sure you really get a deed to your timeshare week (if it's supposed to be deeded) and that it is properly recorded. Deeds are usually sent after your closing so you might forget about it. I purchased a week at the Outer Banks Beach Club in 1989, used it frequently, paid all maintenance fees on time, and discovered when I was ready to sell it that I never had a deed recorded. The resort itself, the parent company Festiva, the management company Defender Realty (SPM), and the Outer Banks Resort Rentals (resale company where I bought it) all have been of no help. Be sure you really have a recorded deed.

Have you checked with the county deed office? There must be a deed somewhere.

R P.
Aug 16, 2008

jayjay wrote:
linl2 wrote:

Have you checked with the county deed office? There must be a deed somewhere.

Yes, I've spoken with the Dare County Register of Deeds. She can find no record of a deed ever made to me or in fact that the people who sold to me ever received a deed. I've also had my attorney check with several places. Again, no record of me. Someone from OBBC actually went over themselves to check--again, no record of me.

Lin L.
Aug 16, 2008

Well, this could be good news or bad news .... depending how you look at it. I assume since you have no deed that you've been paying maintenance fees for this unit all these years without ownership, however it looks to me if you wanted to cease paying the fees that you could with no repercussions to you since there's no record of a deed of ownership in your name.

I can't understand why there's not some papertrail somewhere from when you purchased. Did you not sign a contract when you bought? If so, do you still have the contract?

I also wonder if all ownerships at the resort have no deed? If so, this could be disasterous for that resort if the word gets out.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 16, 2008 11:51 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.