Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting an exchange from Interval

Aug 17, 2008

We exchanged our Marriott into the Marriott, Summit Watch for Thanksgiving week this year. We were scammed by an online travel agent and so we no longer have air travel for that week. I can purchase a guest certificate to be able to transfer the week to another person, but does anyone know if I can list it for rent? Thanks all

Sue G.
Aug 18, 2008

It's against RCI and II rules to rent an exchange. If you get caught doing so your membership can be cancelled and your renters turned away at check-in.

With RCI, you can be reimbursed the guest certificate fee and the exchange fee IF you GIVE/Gift the week to family or friends .... no profit can be made nor maintenance fees be reimbursed. Not sure if II allows even this ... check their terms and conditions in your II catalog.

R P.
Aug 18, 2008

jayjay wrote:
It's against RCI and II rules to rent an exchange. If you get caught doing so your membership can be cancelled and your renters turned away at check-in.

With RCI, you can be reimbursed the guest certificate fee and the exchange fee IF you GIVE/Gift the week to family or friends .... no profit can be made nor maintenance fees be reimbursed. Not sure if II allows even this ... check their terms and conditions in your II catalog.

It will cost me the original $99, plus they are going to return the unit as a general unit and not Marriott so it will lose value and any Marriott to Marriott trade value. I just want to break even from the nonsense left from the travel I was scammed out of. Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate the information for sure!

Sue G.
Aug 18, 2008

Beware with Interval, they charge you for anything they can. When we had to exchange with them from Festiva (Ellington) they charged us $139 on top of our membership dues. On top of that, when I could not check in the first day, and the certificate was in my name, my daughter was going to check in, I had to pay an additonal $39 just to have her name put on the stupid certificate. She was going as a guest anyway.

Sadie A.
Aug 18, 2008

sadiea2 wrote:
Beware with Interval, they charge you for anything they can. When we had to exchange with them from Festiva (Ellington) they charged us $139 on top of our membership dues. On top of that, when I could not check in the first day, and the certificate was in my name, my daughter was going to check in, I had to pay an additonal $39 just to have her name put on the stupid certificate. She was going as a guest anyway.

It's true with both RCI and II that the person listed on the confirmation has to be the one to check in unless a guest certificate has been purchased in another name. Beware that they (RCI and II) can nickle and dime you to death.

R P.
Aug 19, 2008

sadiea2 states: >>Beware with Interval, they charge you for anything they can. When we had to exchange with them from Festiva (Ellington) they charged us $139 on top of our membership dues.<< ===============================================

In fairness to II, **ALL** exchange companies charge an exchange fee for making ANY exchange --- that's the business they are in. This has ALWAYS been the case, with just minor variations in the actual exchange fee charged by different exchange companies. How / why is this decades long and established fee practice somehow now an objectionable suprise to you?

Exchange companies are in business to make a profit --- not to be your friend or to facilitate your vacations for free. Profit motive is the reason why they exist at all and it's the reason why they charge membership fees and exchange fees (which are both purely voluntary choices for the consumer). With due respect, if you don't want to pay for those particular services, you can always make the personal choice to just not use them...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 19, 2008 05:13 AM

Aug 19, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
In fairness to II, **ALL** exchange companies charge an exchange fee for making ANY exchange --- that's the business they are in.

Exchange companies are in business to make a profit --- not to be your friend or to facilitate your vacations for free. Profit motive is the reason why they exist at all and it's the reason why they charge membership fees and exchange fees (which are both purely voluntary choices for the consumer). With due respect, if you don't want to pay for those particular services, you can always make the personal choice to just not use them...

Ken, great answer and to the point!

People also need to understand that when you trade with II you trade! Most owners can still remember this is why they bought their timeshare.

You get charged small fee which is part of the business but when you trade you trade and not like Redweek where you might also have to add few hundred dollars if your moving up in trade!

Phill12

Phil L.
Aug 20, 2008

I just really wanted to know what I could do with the week that is a desirable week, when because of an online scam, I have to give up. The consequences of changing my original inventory in addition to the charges doesn't seem right, but as you have pointed out, they are in business. My biggest complaint is that they will get someone to put in a bigger better exchange at this point in the game. Oh well. At least I've learned something. Thanks all.

Sue G.
Aug 21, 2008

Rentals of exchanges are allowed on Redweek. I believe they are the only exchange company that allows this.

R P.
Aug 21, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
>>Beware with Interval, they charge you for anything they can. When we had to exchange with them from Festiva (Ellington) they charged us $139 on top of our membership dues.<< ===============================================

In fairness to II, **ALL** exchange companies charge an exchange fee for making ANY exchange --- that's the business they are in. This has ALWAYS been the case, with just minor variations in the actual exchange fee charged by different exchange companies. How / why is this decades long and established fee practice somehow now an objectionable suprise to you?

Sadiea states: My complaint was not so much the fee but the fact that Ellington did not tell us we had to reserve our week 29 six months in advance. Therefore, we had to go through Interval to find something quickly or lose our vacation time. The only thing they say they could find us was a dumpy, tiny hotel at Va Beach, with a kitchen so small two people could hardly turn around and we had to use the same towels ALL week. Now how fair of a trade is that going from a swanky golfing resort. Ellington failed to inform us a lot. I thought that is what the sales reps were for to give you the most important details in person. I suppose everyone goes home and actually reads that 20 page contract? Am I the only one who didn't?

Sadie A.

Last edited by sadiea2 on Aug 21, 2008 09:32 PM

Aug 22, 2008

sadiea2 ORIGINALLY stated: >>Beware with Interval, they charge you for anything they can. When we had to exchange with them from Festiva (Ellington) they charged us $139 on top of our membership dues.<< ===============================================

Response: In fairness to II, **ALL** exchange companies charge an exchange fee for making ANY exchange --- that's the business they are in. This has ALWAYS been the case, with just minor variations in the actual exchange fee charged by different exchange companies. How / why is this decades long and established fee practice somehow now an objectionable suprise to you?

Exchange companies are in business to make a profit --- not to be your friend or to facilitate your vacations for free. Profit motive is the reason why they exist at all and it's the reason why they charge membership fees and exchange fees (which are both purely voluntary choices for the consumer). With due respect, if you don't want to pay for those particular services, you can always make the personal choice to just not use them..._________________________________________________

Sadiea next headed in a different direction, stating: >> My complaint was not so much the fee but the fact that Ellington did not tell us we had to reserve our week 29 six months in advance. << =================================================

Sadiea, you should perhaps read your own original complaint again, which specifically complained about INTERVAL. You have now evidently changed direction completely, now expressing displeasure with Ellington (whoever and whatever that is) instead.

Your displeasure with the timeshare you purchased, sales reps claims, and reservation procedures actually has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Interval International. Accordingly, why start out your gripe with (and I quote again, verbatim) "Beware of Interval..." ??? Your beef is clearly with the property you bought into, not with II. You voluntary accepted an offered exchange from II's available deposited inventory. That doesn't make II the "bad guy" here...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 22, 2008 12:03 PM

Aug 22, 2008

sadiea2 wrote:
Sadiea states: My complaint was not so much the fee but the fact that Ellington did not tell us we had to reserve our week 29 six months in advance.

If it's a floating week then you MUST make reservations well in advance of summer as that's red hot season at any beach location. If you outright own week 29 then there's no need to reserve in advance. I assume you own a floating week.

I fomerly owned one floating week beach/gulf/front, however it was shoulder season (May), but I always reserved a year in advance to be on the safe side as many babyboomer/retirees prefer shoulder season when it's not so hot.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.