Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

GRAND MAYAN LUXX VILLAS

Nov 26, 2008

**************** URGENT ****************** can anyone verify that the reservations for Mayan resorts is still open.. all there 1 800 numbers are not in use anymore. We have been trying to book room for 10 days and no phone number is accepted.....

Rick F.
Nov 26, 2008

This worked last week: 1-866-947-6050

Michael K.
Nov 26, 2008

I Will be going march for sure. .. curious what they offer to go from condo to villa At grand luxxe. The way i was explained it is taking us out of a timeshare and putting us into a deeded plan where you actually own the share of the property. Can be mortgaged against and such. Did they say that also to you as this is the ruled of building a residence club. They will probably want 20,000 or more to move up but we are not sure we will need a villa as we have 16 rounds of golf with the condo...

Rick F.
Nov 26, 2008

oh!

Fran B.

Last edited by franb40 on Jan 16, 2009 12:10 PM

Nov 27, 2008

I only have 1 week in condo plus 1 value fair.. most are paying 199,000 for 4 and 4 my locked in upgrade is 9900 u.s for villa from condo. think it is good price and when we go we are going to try to get 1 year advance booking.

Rick F.
Dec 02, 2008

Delete

Bob J.

Last edited by bob739 on Dec 02, 2008 01:05 PM

Dec 09, 2008

We recenty upgraded from the GM to the Bliss (condo) at the Nuevo Vallarta location. The Luxx/Bliss units are under construction and the Bliss demo units are now finished. We made the upgrade with the idea that our chances of selling our unit would be improved. The sales person told us that the best way to sell is through them.

They are pre-selling second homes in Puerto Penasco and the buyers can get a huge discount on the down payment if they purchase a vacation membership like ours. We were told that there is a waiting list of home buyers wanting to purchase the timeshares and said we could expect to get fair market value for our unit.

Does anyone know about this? I have tried to contact the sales office and have not received any replies yet. I would think a sales person would jump on this, but no response. Any helpfull advice on selling GM/Bliss memberships would be greatly appreciated

Ernest K.
Dec 09, 2008

Never heard of that before as most timeshare companies are not allowed to market them once they have been sold. Only thing which could be different is they can only sell so many bliss and luxxe till the first building is complete and others may want just to use as leverage. Good luck on reselling.

Rick F.
Dec 10, 2008

rickf75 wrote:
Never heard of that before as most timeshare companies are not allowed to market them once they have been sold. Only thing which could be different is they can only sell so many bliss and luxxe till the first building is complete and others may want just to use as leverage. Good luck on reselling.

I do not know what the guy is talking about! Why would a person buy a Luxx to turn around and sell it? am I missing something?

Fran B.
Dec 10, 2008

We recenty upgraded from the GM to the Bliss (condo) at the Nuevo Vallarta location. The Luxx/Bliss units are under construction and the Bliss demo units are now finished. We made the upgrade with the idea that our chances of selling our unit would be improved. The sales person told us that the best way to sell is through them.

WHY WOULD YOU BUY TO SELL????? Heck, I can't even rent and you want to sell?

Fran B.

Last edited by franb40 on Jan 16, 2009 12:11 PM

Dec 11, 2008

I believe that too often peoples' expectations are out of line with reality, aided of course by the sales gimmicks to raise your expectations. Timeshares, any of them, are simply prepaid vacations at a nice resort. Do not expect rentals as a money maker, do not expect to make money on resale. Maybe you will get lucky, but don't expect it. These are some simple guidelines based on my experience.

- Buy only somewhere that you really like to vacation. - Buy only where your maintenance fee is owed if you use it. - Know the price of the timeshare on the resale market before ever attending a sales presentation

I own at the mayan resorts and go 2 weeks every year - great vacations at a nice rate. That is what timesharing is about. If you already bought and paid too much, then write it off to life experiences, but by all means enjoy the timeshares. I take friends, I take family - great fun.

Michael K.
Dec 22, 2008

hi fran: yes we need to get together. my email is <finlandiaranch@yahoo.com>. i am really upset with grupo mayan, their half truths and omitted facts. let me know were you are in the process. we live in nm. bill

William B.
Dec 24, 2008

Hi, I just purchased into a simpler plan with Grupo Mayan, buying into their Sea Village stays in a simple room. I was told that I could rent out the room, and it would eventually pay for itself down the road (as well as potentially profit us when we continue to rent out the room?). In other words, I paid around $2,000 as a down payment, and I owe $123 each month for the next five years. I was told I could rent out my two weeks for a total of $1400 each year, which would almost pay for the $123 payment each. So, at the end of the 5 years, I would have either an income of $1400 to spend on other vacationing, or I could use the rooms for just the Maintenance Fee ($419).

So, I have questions as to whether this was a smart move for me, since I really intended on renting the room for at least 5 years just to pay for it, and then enjoying it perhaps after that.

My humble understanding is perhaps that HSI is the one "renting" out your room for you, by your request. Does anyone know who is "responsible" for helping you rent the room? Is it actually possible to get your room rented out easily, or is it a pain in the neck? I just signed into Grupo 2 days ago...should I be trying to break this contract ASAP?

Thanks for your help!

Alisa L.
Dec 25, 2008

RESCIND IMMEDIATELY. and follow the instructions exactly and don't miss the 5 day window.

Two reasons: 1: you will never get the rental income. 2: You paid too much, on resale, you can buy a Grand Mayan 2 bedroom for less

Then, go over to Tugbbs and learn about timeshares.

Don't get me wrong. I own a 2 bdroom Grand Bliss and I love the resorts and the vacations.

Good luck and Merry Christmas. Mike

Michael K.
Dec 25, 2008

"In other words, I paid around $2,000 as a down payment, and I owe $123 each month for the next five years. I was told I could rent out my two weeks for a total of $1400 each year, which would almost pay for the $123 payment each. So, at the end of the 5 years, I would have either an income of $1400 to spend on other vacationing, or I could use the rooms for just the Maintenance Fee ($419)."

Mike is right ON!

Consider the math.

You paid $2000 down and $7380 over the next five years, excluding interest, for a total of $9380.

Rent for room averages $400 to $500 for a week of a room (see Redweek ads), if you can get it.

Cost is $419 per week.

Income to repay the purchase price is less than $200 per year or $1000 over the five year term, under the most optimistic conditions.

Not good as an investment. No vacation either.

Not bad as a vacation for $419 per week.

Any other analysis is a dream.

Wonderful place. We love it and travel there often. But we do because we love it.

Rescind and Merry Christmas.

Bob J.
Dec 26, 2008

Fran B.

Last edited by franb40 on Jan 16, 2009 12:12 PM

Dec 26, 2008

Fran B.

Last edited by franb40 on Jan 16, 2009 12:12 PM

Dec 28, 2008

they tell you what you want to hear. we had our Mayan Palace property for four years, paid several maintenance fees, used it a few times but WE WE NEVER ABLE TO RENT IT FOR EVEN $500/WEEK. Buy if you must but don't count on any extra income to help make the payments. You'll never rent it.

We just 'gave' our 2weeks away for $4000.0o

themoorz

Capri M.
Dec 29, 2008

Trusting you can tell me what you were told when you purchased. I just upgraded in November 2008 from the Mayan Palace to the Bliss. When I was there they told me the Bliss was a step up from the Grand Mayan and that is why. However as I am trying to schedule something for next year I am finding out that a lot of what the Sales Person told me wa incorrect. We were told there was the Bliss, the Luxx and then the Grand Luxx, now I am told it is the Bliss, Grand Bliss and the Luxx and the Grand Bliss is above the Grand Mayan. What were you instruted and were you told they were to be beach front.

Nancy A.
Dec 29, 2008

Nancy,

The new Hierarchy is the Bliss, the Grand Bliss, and the Luxxe, which are Condos and apartments intended for longer stays. They upgrade MP owners to the Bliss, and the GM owners to the GB. I really don't know much on the Luxxe units; maybe someone else can chime in here. As a GB owner, it is stated in the contract that I can use GM, Bliss, MP, and SG units. Read your contract closely on sister resorts and see if you can use your Bliss ownership to rent grand Mayan units. That will tell you whether the Bliss is higher or lower than the Grand Mayan. My guess is that it is not.

When dealing with Grupo Mayan, I have learned never to believe what I am told - but they do honor the contract and addendums to the contract. An addendum must have a date and signature of an authorized representative. Anything else should be considered a fabrication, or at least non-binding.

The reason I upgraded is because of some nice perks: free golf, free spa classes, no MF unless I use, and senior fees after age 75, and a few others. Did you receive similar things?

I will be going back in about a month and plan on learning more.

Mike

Michael K.

Last edited by michaelk397 on Dec 29, 2008 07:06 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.