Oyster Bay Beach Resort

OBBR OWNERS ONLY

Jul 02, 2017

We waited too. Finally realized we didn't want to go there. I called Pearl and told them I was unable to use the unit due to personal issues. They sent deed paperwork within a month and the payments stopped. Also, the attitude of our OBBR 'family' was getting annoying.

Steve H.
Jul 02, 2017

Thanks for info. Did Pearl charge you anything for taking the unit back?

BTW, don't know if you plan on returning to SXM but we stayed a few nights at Grand Case Beach Club during our most recent stay and were very satisfied. Right on the ocean (two beaches) nice rooms, great restaurant and the sunsets are unbelievable. Rates are very reasonable.

William F.
Jul 03, 2017

Pearl charged nothing. We made the decision early in the year (paid Jan & Feb maint fee).

Likely will not be going back to SXM. Frankly, if I never set foot in an airport again I'll be happy =)

Steve H.
Dec 15, 2017

Since resort is not able to take reservations. Do we have to pay maintance fees? Or can we now just walk away ?

billf76 wrote:
When you say you walked away does that mean you returned your unit to OBBR - or literally walked away? I'm getting close but may hang in for another year or so hoping the seaweed issues resolve.

Please advise - thanks!

Rita M.
Dec 17, 2017

I have not been able to use my floating week time share in the winter in the last three years. The pressure to buy a fixed week is incredible. We were happy with the resort for 13 years but the new company and sells tactics are unethical, even if legal as far as I'm concerned. We won't go back there. Has anyone had any luck trading through Interval? If I can't trade it this year, I'm going to give it away or give it back to the company. I haven't seen anything about any owners being able to sell. If anyone has been able to sell, please let me know. Thanks. Smith

Janie R.

Last edited by janier21 on Dec 17, 2017 06:28 PM

Dec 17, 2017

We also have been dissatisfied with ability to make reservations at OBBR or exchange. Is OBBR up and running at maximum capacity now? Is it costly to sell flex week back to them? Not sure what if any actions we can take to improve situation.

Ed

Edward S.
Dec 17, 2017

I don't think they are taking reservations yet after hurricane. I have received no message from management. There should be no costs to giving back floating week unless it is deed preparation. Sad how the place had gone downhill in management.

Janie R.
Dec 18, 2017

We gave our flex week back in March 2017. We became very dissatisfied with the attitude of our 'family' @ OBBR. Add to that the seaweed over the past few years and the inability to get a reasonable reservation.

Pearl handled it well. Got a 'release' letter from them.

Has anyone contacted Pearl to see if they are taking units back? Anyone just 'walked away"? -- I can't imagine Pearl going after individual, single flex week owners for payment. Would cost them a fortune.

Steve H.
Jan 05, 2018

I have not been able to use my OBBR for some time. Could you forward me the phone number you contacted for Pearl. My info must be outdated and need to contact them. I appreciate your help.

Sherrill W.
Mar 30, 2018

We have owned an every other year floating week timeshare with OBBR since 1998. Always traded and never visited there. We would like to get rid of our timeshare. What's the best way to go about doing this? Does OBBR take back timeshares? Not even worried about selling it, just want to be done with it. Thanks for any assistance.

Karen R.
Mar 30, 2018

Karen - I just relinquished my every year floating unit back to OBBR, this past January. I just called Karen at Pearl Development/OBBR at 1 866 297-6978 and said I no longer wanted this week. I just had to pay my 2017 Maintenance Fees in full and that was it. Got my letter confirming all this a few weeks ago. I'm done.

We had owned since 2000 but just got tired of all the hassle and lousy beach conditions.

karenr905 wrote:
We have owned an every other year floating week timeshare with OBBR since 1998. Always traded and never visited there. We would like to get rid of our timeshare. What's the best way to go about doing this? Does OBBR take back timeshares? Not even worried about selling it, just want to be done with it. Thanks for any assistance.

William F.
Mar 30, 2018

Thank you so much for this information! So kind of you to reply!

Karen R.
Apr 01, 2018

No problem and hope it works out for you. See no reason why it shouldn't - good luck.

William F.
Apr 02, 2018

1) So every time we booked, conveniently they've never had our dates available because they want to charge you something to accommodate your days (we are aware check ins are fri/sat/sun). So when you call in don't ask for your dates, ask for a flexible range of dates. We always had specific dates due to direct flights here are irregular. So we started asking them the wrong dates, then miraculously we would be offered our specific dates.

2) Why would Pearl NOT take back your paid weeks , you bought your weeks and now are walking away so they can turn around try sell your weeks, you just gave them free money. Don't be surprised. Be angry, you just got robbed in broad daylight. Imagine the nerve if they asked us to pay to walk away :-), wow would I lose my cool....

3) They tried to scam me two weeks, that I didn't use, which were supposed to be carried over the next year during their sales pitch. If I count all the yearly weeks I didn't use I think I'm owed about 6. Have to go and check my contract but I don't remember seeing it in contract. (Yes Im a moron for not checking any of what was promised was actually written in contract.) Lets face it, majority of us probably irresponsibly bought these units, being mesmerized by the beautify of oyster bay, but it doesn't give them the right to rip us off....

4) Who ever wants to sell, Ive done my research, its worth peanuts, let alone our comments here just drives the price down further.

5) Again this place is a scam, technically time shares are scams. How ever Ive heard of timeshares that actually increase in value.

6) They tried to charge me to send me a copy of my contract, I am willing to post my contract, if anyone wants to compare.

7) I know many of you are retired and mite not have the drive to do something about this place and the way they've turned such a place of beauty into such a money grab, I can't say I am surprised, I think this is what the world is now. I am willing to fight on our behalf, if there is one of us who is a lawyer, maybe we can do something about it. To many times its the lack of us "victims" not doing something about the injustices in life, that let the oppressors run free with our money. I paid over 30 k for mine, and it was my hard earned money. Obviously we all know this is St. Marteens, but Pearl is a US based company, Im sure they've "lawyered" up, but in western law u cannot conceal or misrepresent or induce someone into a contract, as that would impair their consent. So Im sure with all what I've read here we must have some grounds of some sort of claim or to balance this shift.

8) If there is a group already created, please post. If not I will set one up shortly, if I have no updates.

Hope to hear from all of you soon and try to get our hard earned moneys worth!

Avi I.
Apr 02, 2018

Several points to make as follows:

Suggesting retirees don't have "drive" is a bridge too far as I know many retirees (self included) that have more "drive" than those a lot younger in years.

Suggesting we were blindly robbed is also incorrect, as I and many others, got into these things with eyes wide open, at much lower dollar entry rates than yours, and never saw a ts as an investment, but as a way to pay for future vacations with yesterday's dollars - inflation hedge.

Bottom line, my walking away from my OBBR TS was a no brainer, as it never had a significant position in either my net worth or cash flow position, I essentially broke even in terms of dollars spent and value derived, and it worked for me until it didn't.

Having got that out of the way, if you want to put a group together to "do something" go for it, as your sentiments regarding OBBR and it's management is highly accurate. It's nothing more than a cash cow to them and they could care less. Of course, you can also say that about most other TS operators on the Island and other places as well.

All the best!

William F.
Apr 02, 2018

I had a feeling someone would take that comment in the wrong way. Wasn't meant like that. I apologize to anyone who is offended. I personally have been in back to back court cases: small claims to municipal to state, in the last few years and to tell you the truth I don't have much drive myself pursuing yet another situation but I'm also a character who's tired of turning the other cheek . Seems like scammers/liars are everywhere (this represents100% of my court cases). I was referring that some retirees wouldn't care to put any time into this as they are retired and want to enjoy life not pursuing something like this is. Yes majority of us probably couldn't care less about dropping the timeshare, as its value is not something that would financial ruin any of us, otherwise we wouldn't have purchased in the first place, but it is still our hard earned money, and some of us didn't buy at the price you did. Amazing for you it was insignificant. But i sincerely doubt you bought with your "eyes wide open" and that there were no insinuations or shady sales pitches or fake promises of which the relevant clauses never appeared in the contracts, I highly doubt they decided to be shady in the last 10 years.

Avi I.
Aug 17, 2019

To whom it may concern . Hi been out of the loop for quite a few yrs . If any info I should know please let me know .. since purchase they never had a availability . Matter of fact just getting to visit the end of month . Sincerely and thank you for any info Rosanne

Rosanne G.
Aug 17, 2019

My husband was facing some health issues so last July we made the decision to return our unit or weeks to Pearl. They were very nice and just asked that I call OBBR to make sure that our booked weeks were cancelled. We decided that if we were to return, we would just book it and pay . We were not charged since there was no lien against it. Our March weeks were beginning to become an issue. Sadly, I probably won’t be returning since my husband did pass away. Loved the place from 2000 until our last trip in 2016.

Robert V.
Oct 03, 2019

can someone give me the contact information of an individual who owns three timeshares, is from Pennsylvania, is a teacher and raises Boxer dogs. I would like to be in touch with him I've lost his contact info. Thank you.

Demi

Demi K.
Mar 18, 2022

Was there ever a group set up for owners to communicate? I would ne interested in joining.

Bradley D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.