General Discussion

Need Much Advice Here

Jun 17, 2009

My wife and 4 kids are going to sell our home and travel the US, and maybe the world for the next year or 2. We have looked at motorhomes, rvs, etc... Recently we attended a Wyndham sales pitch at a resort and it sounded interesting for what we are looking to do. Travel from place to place on our own schedule and be able to stay in nice condos instead of living out of a motorhome.

How is the availability in the wyndham network? How far in advance will we have to book reservations? Optimally, we would like to book the next destination a few days in advance.

The sales rep said 2 million points would allow us to live out of a condo every day for a year. Does this sound legitimate based on your experiences with their points.

He also said at 1.5 million points that I would be Presidential Status and have priority in bookings and availability. He pretty much said we would be guaranteed availability whereever we went. Is this true?

Does wyndham or any other competitor offer HOTEL rooms in their packages as well.

If I bought a wyndham points package deeded to a place in florida or nevada, could I declare residency there and not have to pay Georgia state income tax. This would save me $10,000 per year.

Can anyone suggest any other ideas to create a flexible, cost effective way to travel for a year or 2?

Eric K.
Jun 18, 2009

erick123 wrote:
My wife and 4 kids are going to sell our home and travel the US, and maybe the world for the next year or 2. We have looked at motorhomes, rvs, etc... Recently we attended a Wyndham sales pitch at a resort and it sounded interesting for what we are looking to do. Travel from place to place on our own schedule and be able to stay in nice condos instead of living out of a motorhome.

How is the availability in the wyndham network? How far in advance will we have to book reservations? Optimally, we would like to book the next destination a few days in advance.

The sales rep said 2 million points would allow us to live out of a condo every day for a year. Does this sound legitimate based on your experiences with their points.

He also said at 1.5 million points that I would be Presidential Status and have priority in bookings and availability. He pretty much said we would be guaranteed availability whereever we went. Is this true?

Does wyndham or any other competitor offer HOTEL rooms in their packages as well.

If I bought a wyndham points package deeded to a place in florida or nevada, could I declare residency there and not have to pay Georgia state income tax. This would save me $10,000 per year.

Can anyone suggest any other ideas to create a flexible, cost effective way to travel for a year or 2?

Go to www.tugbbs.com and ask all your questions as there is an entire Wyndham forum there with very knowledgable members.

R P.
Jun 18, 2009

I'll post over there too. I was hoping to get some other feedback here on any better options as well. Is Wyndham the biggest and most reputable? Should I even worry about other companies?

Eric K.
Jun 18, 2009

erick123 wrote:
I'll post over there too. I was hoping to get some other feedback here on any better options as well. Is Wyndham the biggest and most reputable? Should I even worry about other companies?
Definitely check TUG. In addition to getting some straight answers, there are a few threads that actually discuss full time timesharing. IMO, 2 million pts won't get you 52 weeks/year unless you do some "last minute" reservations and/or stay in lower quality units and off-season units (i.e Cape Cod in Feb).

Mike N.
Jul 07, 2009

You need to purchase 780,000 pts from the developer. Make sure they are UDI pts because Wyndham won't trade in some fw's(conversions) towards Pres. Reserve.

Then purchase 2 3 bedroom RCI weeks on the resale market with the lowest mf's u can find. Maybe Africa?

I think the cheapest UDI from the developer is around $85 per thousand which would cost you approx. $66,000 Then trade them in toward Pres., Reserve which has a minimum purchase of 220,000 pres. pts which should cost approx. $50,000.(pic 2 rci weeks when buying from developer)

This would give you 1 million pres. pts which retails for over $200,000 and is this best and most valuable product wyndham sells.(DC, Disney or Ocean Front) Plus 508,000 pic points.

Then purchase as many resale points as needed since you will have all wyndham benefits.

Just my 2 cents would need to know more info for better advice. Would also suggest buying Marriott to get in II and use their hotels. You can use some Wyndham Hotels fyi and Wyndham owners can search RCI first and recieve free upgrades thru RCI.

Bob B.
Jul 31, 2009

MY ADVICE,GET A MOTOR HOME AND LEAVE TIMESHARS ALONE. OR TAKE MY RCI POINTS,CHEAP.

Jimmy C.
Aug 07, 2009

try to check out these link... it will be a great help

Ward D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.