General Discussion

TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE

Jan 22, 2021

My advice is Don't do this.

Jennie Miller
Feb 19, 2021

I just want to get rid of this villa del palmar Contract after they give 3 tequilas i.sing I want to get rid of this can I go bankruptcy just with villa del Palmar

Thanks for your help.at Mar

Marisol B.
Feb 19, 2021

Yes but the M fees will simply pile up

Carol M.
Feb 19, 2021

Yeah but then you lose all the money to purchase the timeshare.

Carol M.
Feb 20, 2021

To Carol M.

I did just what this person is talking about. I was fully paid up on my buy-in purchase. Just maintenance fees to be paid going forward, which always increased year-after-year. Called the resort (Mexican) and told them I was not paying any more maintenance fees. I was ending my relationship with them. They wanted to know why, I told them (various reasons) and that was that. They did send some paperwork for me to sign. That was 2011. No effect on my credit score, no collection agencies calling and pestering me, nothing. My advice, do what I did. Such a relief to have that timeshare fiasco in the rear view mirror. Yes, the money I spent on the initial purchase is gone. I'm sure you feel the same way I did.....who cares? Just get me OUTTA here!

Dano333
Feb 20, 2021

FYI, I think "Carol M" is paid to troll these forums or is just a bot used to spread disinformation and scare people.

If I'm wrong, maybe "Carol" will share her personal timeshare story. Let's see.

Anyone looking for answers here should be skeptical of negative comments with no context.

Mikael G.
Feb 21, 2021

My thoughts exactly. Timeshare resorts, in my opinion, use fear as an intimidation tactic. But, when you actually man up, say "enough is enough", well...just try it. I takes a lot of time and effort to pursue a person in another country who just stops paying maintenance fees. They know that and just move on. I've searched the internet looking for horror stories about people dropping their timeshare. Haven't found many. The few I did find looked, shall I say, suspicious.

Good luck all.

Dano333
Feb 21, 2021

I have Casa Dorada at Medano Beach, what time share did you have. I have been successful renting out my weeks but every year the M. fees keep going up so I need to raise my listing. We do enjoy going there but we rather cruise instead. I wanted a way that I could get at least some of my money back, I paid it off when I purchased it almost 20 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the post.

Carol M.
Feb 21, 2021

TO Mikael G.

Wow what a horrible thing to say, I do own a TS in Mexico have owned it for 20 years. We have used it a lot but we rather cruise instead. The M fees go up every year. I have been renting my weeks with success, but now I want it gone but don't want to lose the money I spent on it. I paid mine in full at the time I purchased.

How am I making folks afraid???? Forgive me if I made you scared. Not a big deal nothing to get worked up about. These people already purchased the TS these are not new buyers. I just wanted to know if anyone has sold the TS.

Carol M.

Last edited by carolm683 on Feb 21, 2021 12:03 PM

Feb 21, 2021

To Dano333

I just want to recover some of my money spent on the TS. I am not at the point where I want to just give it back to the resort. What a win win for them. May get to that point at some time.....but not yet.

Thanks for replying to my post

I am not a bot nor do I work for the TS industry.

Carol M.
Feb 21, 2021

carolm683 wrote:
I have Casa Dorada at Medano Beach, what time share did you have. I have been successful renting out my weeks but every year the M. fees keep going up so I need to raise my listing. We do enjoy going there but we rather cruise instead. I wanted a way that I could get at least some of my money back, I paid it off when I purchased it almost 20 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the post.

Hello Carol. I purchased timeshare at The Mayan Palace, beautiful Gold Crown, 5 Star properties. I obtained a 1-bedroom with kitchenette in 1996, then a studio unit in 1998. I was able to get the price reduced from $ 19,000 USD to $9,500 USD for the 1-bedroom. The purchase of the studio is almost comical. The sales guy, then of course the manager, wanted $ 20,000. I kept saying "not interested at that price" until he finally said "well, what are you willing to pay"? I said $ 5,000. He laughed, said that was ridiculous, BUT, I'll have a look at our system. Damned if he didn't call my bluff. Found "an older lady from Pasadena (he really did say Pasadena), who wanted to unload her studio unit. So...I went for it. In the beginning everything was fine. I had floating weeks, so I always booked Spring Break for the family. In retrospect I wish I'd have locked in a fixed week, because even if I waited until Jan. to book Mar. I could always get the resort I wanted (they have about 5 or 6 in Mexico). Things changed about 2004 or 2005. I couldn't get the week or weeks I wanted even if I tried booking in Sept. of the previous year. I too was advertising online and was having success for a while, then nothing. Fortunately a Mexican family living in Los Angeles wanted to go to The Mayan Palace in either July or August, depending on their situation. But those doggone Maint. Fees kept going up, up, up. So, a decision had to be made. I'll have to eat that $ 14,500 which was fully paid up. At that point I didn't care. Lesson learned. Just write it off. Got a lawyer to send them my reasons for wanting out, on his letterhead. That worked like a charm They called me as soon as they got the letter. So sorry sir. We'll send a PDF file for you to print off, sign and send back to us. That's it in a nutshell. Loved the properties, but if you can't get a room or rooms when you want, what good are they? And those @#$% Maint. Fees! (am I repeating myself)? We went to Nuevo Vallarta for our last Mayan vacation in 2004. I was told my 2 units were now selling for between $ 50,000 & $ 60,000. What a racket!

Have a nice future.

Dano333
Feb 22, 2021

Forgive me if I offended you Carol M.

Your first three comments from the top of page 9 seemed particularly negative and I hadn't seen you post comments before, therefore it appeared suspicious to me. I was calling attention to your posts as a caution for the greater good and not as an indictment of you as a valid contribitor.

You do sound as though you have a legitimate story and I thank you for your perspective in this forum. Many people in here are desperate for answers and your experience is valuable.

I still maintain that it's important to consider all contributions in broad context. It isn't uncommon to see people working for the TS industry trolling these sites as a means to further intimidate and scare TS owners.

That being said, Carol M you sound genuine and I apologize if you were offended by my statement. You have found a positive way to keep your TS without bearing the financial burden entirely on your own. If you do ever sell or otherwise dispose of your TS I will be interested to hear your story.

Mikael G.
Feb 22, 2021

Hey Dano Yeah I may just wipe my hands of it we'll see this year. It is a beautiful resort but with the M fees are now so high it makes it almost out of reach for the average family that wants a get away. I actually did get my money back by renting my weeks, thanks for helping look at this thru a different perspective. I also offered 8k they were selling for 25k (not exactly sure of the amount) and to my surprise they took me up on my offer when I stood up to leave. So I see that is just a little game they play on folks. In reality I did make a good decision we had years of fun there, gave a week as a honeymoon gift, and got cash for renting it. Would I do it again absolutely NOT sorry I wouldn't. The fees every year are terrible and another big negative is the problem of getting the week you want. Stay Safe

Carol M.
Feb 22, 2021

Mikael G.

NP just looking for what other folks did with their TS. May just dissolve it after this year, realized not much of a fiscal loss. Stay Safe

Carol M.

Last edited by carolm683 on Feb 22, 2021 12:27 PM

Apr 12, 2021

Any update?

dianeb726 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm definately going along your line of thinking! We live and learn dont we . Thanks again.

Terrance A.
Apr 13, 2021

Exactly...............who are they?

Leona R.
Apr 13, 2021

Nothing has happened for years. I just keep getting bills for the M fees

Leona R.
May 13, 2021

THEY are the timeshare companies....duh

Leona R.
May 18, 2021

We have a timeshare we purchased at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in late 2008. In 13 years we haven’t used it once. Does anyone know how to cancel or transfer with Pueblo Bonito? I’d rather cancel or give to someone Who will actually use it. Any advice?

Jason S.
May 29, 2021

im planning of getting a resort in mexico

Kelley W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.