General Discussion

TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE

Oct 02, 2018

jilly25 wrote:
My timeshare is in collections for not paying maintenance fees. Can I negotiate with them to pay it current and reinstate my usage?

Probably. That's exactly what they want. They want your maintenance fees. It might not be any of my business but why did you stop paying maintenance fees in the first place?

Lance C.
Oct 03, 2018

I just saw your reply. The timeshare I bought was set up with financing thru them for 5 years. Are you saying I can just stop paying them and they will eventually stop calling me to pay? I have heard people that have and they were put in collections, but do not know how that turned out for them.

Also, it is ashamed that my PBSB sales rep turned out to be such a liar. 95% of what was told was not true or honored by the resort. As far as the contract,I cannot blame anyone but myself for not reading it better. I had owned at Sunset back around 2005 and had to sell because of financial reasons, but what was represented by my salesperson then was what he told me and I was very happy I bought from him. A matter a fact it was Eric White. That is part of the reason I trusted my sales person this time without questioning his word. Big mistake.

If you truly know about the repercussions if I stop my finance payments I would appreciate your advise.

Marc S.
Oct 03, 2018

I couldn’t get my ex-husbands name off it and when I would pay maintenance fees in advance he would book my week!

Jill G.
Oct 04, 2018

You just lost your money. It makes no sense now to regret.

Garry O.
Oct 11, 2018

I currently work in Mexico and can help you out with the doubts about the cancellations of the timeshare, if anyone still interested?

Vanessa R.

Last edited by vhines on Oct 12, 2018 07:53 AM

Oct 12, 2018

Vanessar121 is a SCAMMER . She wants to lure victims away from the forum to set up her SCAM !!!! Don't fall for it she has been reported to Redweek .

Don P.
Oct 12, 2018

vanessar121 wrote:
I currently work in Mexico and can help you out with the doubts about the cancellations of the timeshare, if anyone still interested?

No U.S. citizen needs any "help" to walk away from a Mexican RTU contract. All a U.S. citizen has to do is just stop paying and tell the Mexican operation to go pound sand. The "membership" will obviously be terminated at some point for non-payment and there will obviously be no further access to reservations at that property once the account is in arrears --- but so what?

Of course, any and all money paid to date is gone forever and staying in Mexico, but it's at least easy to stop the financial bleeding going forward, right now --- with no alleged "help" needed from anyone.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 12, 2018 01:45 PM

Oct 16, 2018

Do you have any updates with your step mom? Was the collection agency able to report the delinquency to the credit bureaus? Did they ding her credit?

Tara R.
Oct 17, 2018

Everyone makes it seem so easy. Not always that way. I own multiple weeks at Velas Vallarta for numerous years, but when their maintenance fees got sky high and I couldn't afford to travel as frequently, I called them to try and cancel my memberships to no avail, knowing I would lose all of my initial investment. I stopped paying my maintenance fees with them and Velas turned me in to all 3 reporting agencies. It ruined my excellent credit. I called Experian and disputed the charges against Velas, telling them of the lies of the Sales people and their misrepresentation, which was all true. Velas provided Experian with all the original paperwork that I signed, which also stated that no oral representation was valid, only the written contract. Experian did not remove the negative "collection" and it was then three years old and counting. When I sold my home and in the process of purchasing a new home, they did not let me qualify for a new home until I "took care " of my collection activity. It hurt like hell to call Velas, but I did and negotiated a settlement on the maintenance fees that I owed. They would not let me out of the contracts without a huge buyout, so I just pay each year maintenance fees and then rent those weeks out each year for a loss and am back to establishing a good credit record again. It's not always easy. If I didn't need (want) to buy another home, I probably would have waited for the 7 years to expire, the collection to go away, and not have to deal with a bunch of thieves at Velas Vallarta. Everyone has their own case which is best for them. Obviously, we all made the same mistake of buying a timeshare (RTU) in Mexico.

Cliff&Chris T.
Oct 17, 2018

I´m not a SCAMER and I really don´t know what´s your problem, I already explain it to you in a other post. I just want to provide help to this transactions I currently work on a Lawfirm trying to reach different people from blogs that had bad experiences. But thanks to report my account, I respond the same thing I´m explaining to you. It wouldn´t be necessary but clearly you need something else to do!

donp196 wrote:
Vanessar121 is a SCAMMER . She wants to lure victims away from the forum to set up her SCAM !!!! Don't fall for it she has been reported to Redweek .

Vanessa R.
Oct 17, 2018

Vanesaar121 has been reported to Redweek for soliciting in the forums . She's a SCAMMER !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don P.
Oct 18, 2018

Were your timeshares financed like mine. That is my concern that if I stop paying those payments the same thing that happened to you will with me concerning Pueblo Bonito Sunset..

Marc S.
Nov 07, 2018

Your explanation to this question is what I was assuming. Very glad you explained your view so clearly. Thank you. I know what I'm going to do.

Debbie L.
Dec 12, 2018

Hi! Please please please help me! Did you gave any chance of success cancelling your timeshare in Mexico? We have purchased one two month ago and when we got to the bottom of our contract it was too late and the rescission period was passed! Anyone stopped paying them? What happen after collection agencies?

Nadia R.
Dec 12, 2018

Ow do you know for sure that they can not come after your properties in the us?

Nadia R.
Jan 02, 2019

I recently called to cancel my membership as well with Playa Grande/Solmar because the maintenance fees have significantly gone up each year. When I purchased it from the previous owners in 2012, the fees were 600 for the year now they are 1000 for the year.

I was quoted a 1700 figure to surrender my timeshare.

Is this legal?

Nowhere on the transfer paperwork does it state that fees will be charged for cancelation.

Delece

Delece J.
Jan 02, 2019

Is it deeded property or just a right-to-use (RTU) membership? If it's an RTU, usually you can get out of it by just stopping payments. You might face a bunch of collection calls and letters but those usually stop after a while when the people realize that it is futile chasing you down for yearly fees.

As for the $1700 quote, who is quoting you this? Is it the resort? The timeshare company? Or is it one of those so=called exit/relief/cancel companies or law firms?

Lance C.
Jan 08, 2019

I have not paid maintenance fees on my Mexican timeshare ( Bel Air} for about 7 years now and they have threatened collections agency. Still nothing. I e-mailed them telling them I can no longer use the timeshare and cannot afford it. I don't think they can do anything as the timeshare is in Mexico, the company is American and I am in Canada.

Leona R.
Jan 09, 2019

Is the timeshare financed? I purchased at Pueblo Bonita Sunset and found out that all that was told to was was false. That is why I want to stop paying the financing.

Marc S.
Jan 12, 2019

I contacted Playa Grande yesterday to get out of our 2 fixed weeks at Playa Grande. We have owned since 1999. We no longer go and no longer want to pay $1900 for a vacation place we don't use. They are offering a Voluntary Surrender prior to 1/15/19 for $1800 per unit...$3,600 and we are done. They will waive 2019 maintenance fee if we act prior to 1/15/19.

However, from all research I have been able to do Playa Grande is part of Solmar which is a Mexican Corp but maintenance fees, etc are through an American company. A voluntary surrender is in essence a contract foreclosure...just voluntary...and can and will hurt our credit. We do not want our credit hurt.

Playa Grande got the documents to me within a 2 hours window of time. The Voluntary Surrender form is 2 short paragraphs and the last line says "AGREEMENT FOR FUTURE MAINTENANCE FEE OBLIGATIONS AND TAKE NO FURTHER ACTION AGAINST THE UNDERSIGNED". I don't trust that...

Any reliable information would be appreciated. NO TIMESHARE SELLERS!!!

delecej wrote:
I recently called to cancel my membership as well with Playa Grande/Solmar because the maintenance fees have significantly gone up each year. When I purchased it from the previous owners in 2012, the fees were 600 for the year now they are 1000 for the year.

I was quoted a 1700 figure to surrender my timeshare.

Is this legal?

Nowhere on the transfer paperwork does it state that fees will be charged for cancelation.

Delece

Denise P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.