Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Elite Resort Transfers - anyone ever hear of them

Aug 13, 2009

We just purchased a resale timeshare and the selling company wants to use the above to do the transfer/closing but I can't find very much info about them except they are in FL and have been incorporated for 2 yrs, otherwise nada. I am always leary when doing things online so wanted to check here before sending a check to the company.

Amanda B.
Aug 13, 2009

amandab142 wrote:
We just purchased a resale timeshare and the selling company wants to use the above to do the transfer/closing but I can't find very much info about them except they are in FL and have been incorporated for 2 yrs, otherwise nada. I am always leary when doing things online so wanted to check here before sending a check to the company.
If you haven't already done so, post your question on the TUG Forum. You mind find someone who has dealt with this company.

Mike N.
Aug 14, 2009

amandab142 wrote:

It's likely that this entity (completely unknown to me personally --- never heard of them) is actually the "in house" closing company of the seller. If so, this is a situation where the fox is "helping" to administer matters of the henhouse, while YOU pay for the fox to do so. Potentially risky...

Since you are the buyer and YOU are paying the closing costs, you should at least ATTEMPT to hire and pay your own independent closing company (...many eBay mega-sellers don't encourage this, since they make extra money by handling their own closings).

I have NO affiliation with them other than as a satisfied repeat customer, but I would personally recommend Timeshare Transfer of Vero Beach, FL as being among the best around. Their fee is $300 (lower than most) and they have been in business for many years. Any closing company will handle deed preparation and recording details, as well as the escrow of purchase funds, but not all of them actually utilize competent legal review (Timeshare Transfer does). JRA Services in Sunrise, FL is also very competent and trustworthy, at just about the same cost . PCS Closing Services is also well respected. All of the aforementioned entities are independent (i.e., not attached to ANY particular sellers), time tested and honest. I wouldn't (and I don't) look any further than one of these three independents.

Personally, I would be VERY reluctant to just send money off to a completely unknown closing entity. Their being "incorporated" means next to nothing; it's certainly no guaranty of competency and it is nothing more than a confirmation of their existence as a business. Personally, when I make a resale timeshare purchase, I ALWAYS insist upon choosing (and paying) an independent closing company of MY OWN choice, since it's MY money and MY purchase. If the seller doesn't accept that, then the deal is off --- period, amen, goodbye. Otherwise, you are essentially choosing to take an unnecessary risk on the proper handling of your purchase money, as well as the accuracy of deed content (remember --- only the SELLER actually SIGNS the new deed once it has been prepared), as well as proper deed recording and later resort notification. Why take that risk, when it's actually YOUR money which is paying for all of the closing costs in the first place?

I'd recommend telling your reseller that you want to select and pay YOUR OWN closing company. You will thereby keep the "fox" completely OUT of the business affairs of the "henhouse". If they refuse, then it's a personal decision for you whether or not you want to roll the dice and gamble on the competency and /or honesty of an unknown closing entity --- one which is NOT independent of the transaction but which instead has a direct, vested interest in "just getting this deal DONE". Think about that before mailing a check...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 14, 2009 09:21 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.