General Discussion

Long-term timeshare rental

Aug 14, 2009

My mother-in-law is looking for options when she retires next year. She would like to spend 1 - 2 months twice a year in San Diego without living with us and having some privacy. We thought we'd look into whether timeshares offer a month or so at a time stays?

Lillian S.
Aug 15, 2009

lillians36 wrote:
My mother-in-law is looking for options when she retires next year. She would like to spend 1 - 2 months twice a year in San Diego without living with us and having some privacy. We thought we'd look into whether timeshares offer a month or so at a time stays?

Practically speaking, the short answer is NO.

Keep in mind that in the timeshare world, ownerships are in increments of one week. Accordingly, the likelihood of finding an owner who owns multiple consecutive weeks in the same unit / resort AND who is also interested in renting out all of those weeks collectively is very slim. Also, since owners want the best possible price for rental of each INDIVIDUAL week (...remember, all owners PAY separate, undiscounted, annual fees for each INDIVIDUAL week owned), there would likely be no significant "discount" or price reduction for the collective rental of multiple weeks from an owner.

As much as I can understand, fully appreciate and completely support ANY effort to finding someplace else for a mother-in-law to be other than in MY house year 'round ;-) timeshares are NOT the way to go for seeking rental of multiple, consecutive weeks in the same unit / resort. A better (and certainly also much less expensive) avenue for you / her to examine would be the monthly rental of an advertised home or condo, such as those advertised on sites like HomeAway. For the record, I am NOT endorsing or advertising HomeAway, and I have absolutely no affiliation of any kind with them, past or present. I'm merely pointing out that the site exists and that it would be a better avenue to examine for long term rental than anything you'll find in the timeshare world. I know a few people who have found and utiliized monthly (and even longer) rentals through that site and all seem to have had successful and favorable results and experiences.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 15, 2009 04:33 AM

Aug 15, 2009

You can also peruse www.vrbo.com for long term rentals .... I've used that site many times for weekly rentals.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.