Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Timeshare rentals...best way to set up payment?

Oct 18, 2009

I've never rented a timeshare on this site, and the person I'm renting from would like to set it up so that I pay 1/2 upon reserving the room (I can confirm the reservation is in my name) and 1/2 60 days before trip, by personal check. There is no rental agreement or escrow account. Any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Karla

Karla R.
Oct 19, 2009

I would recommend a rental agreement signed by both you and the owner ... you can do a forum search to find a rental agreement .... as far as escrow, there are escrow services that hold monies until the rental is complete ... one such service recommended by Redweek is American Title, but it can be expensive. Have you had other communication than via computer/emails .... if you have verbally communicated with the owner you can pretty much get a sense of if he/she is legitimate.

R P.
Dec 12, 2009

I always require 1/2 when the renter signs & returns the rental agreement and 1/2 30-60 days before travel. I personally would not rent a week without a rental agreement.

Laurie H.
Dec 16, 2009

I have rented timeshares from redweek for 5 years now.

3 were companies that faxed a form to me and had me sign it and send the whole deposit in.

2 Were individual owners and we did not have any written agreement. I just mailed them a cashier's check.

I just rented my sixth vacation timeshare from an owner and just mailed the check yesterday.

I guess you could get swindled but if REDWEEK allowed that to happen just a few times it would bring down the whole renting business.

As anyone ever been swindled by a rental add on Redweek? I am really curious about this.

TonyS
Dec 16, 2009

anthonys116 wrote:
As anyone ever been swindled by a rental add on Redweek? I am really curious about this.

Redweek asks that if you have been swindled to send them an email with the details and the name of the renter .... I've read very few swindle stories here.

R P.
Dec 28, 2012

First time renter, which is the safest way to receive payment? Cashiers check, paypal or wire amount to a checking account? thank you

Maria P.
Dec 28, 2012

I always use paypal when I can.

Don P.
Dec 28, 2012

I am subletting my time share in Orlando for the first time and I am seeking fastest/most secure and convenient payment method for me and renter.

I simply wnat to require a cashiers Check and upon receipt, I will commit to reserving my week and allow third party to use.

Is this the easiest way?

The interested renter are coming in from Puerto Rico...

Stuart S.
Dec 28, 2012

i have a paypal account. how can i get someone to pay my account directly through paypal???

Maria P.
Dec 28, 2012

just contact paypal and make payment through them. You have them to use if there is a dispute down the road.

Don P.
Dec 28, 2012

Give the buyer your paypal account name and have them deposit the money into that account. Be sure to have them say it's a personal transaction. If they say it's business, paypal will charge a fee.

Annette R.
Dec 28, 2012

I gave the renter my paypal name, and she deposited the money into my account. That simple. However, as I posted, unless you are willing or the renter is willing to reimburse you, pay pal will charge you a small fee for a business transaction. Or you can tell the renter to be sure they say it is a personal transaction.

Annette R.
Dec 29, 2012

annetter60 wrote:
I gave the renter my paypal name, and she deposited the money into my account. That simple. However, as I posted, unless you are willing or the renter is willing to reimburse you, pay pal will charge you a small fee for a business transaction. Or you can tell the renter to be sure they say it is a personal transaction.

I believe both the owner and renter have to be paypal members in order to submit this transaction.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.