Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Successful Resales & Rental Feedback Wanted

Oct 08, 2011

Pleased to hear your sale finally went through. Your Iowa customer must have been a model of patience! MD

Mary D.
Oct 08, 2011

Westgate corporate must be much harder to deal with than the reservation takers. I just used the 30 day window to swap my White Westgate Branson for a Red week. MD

Mary D.
Oct 10, 2011

Thanks Patty. I just joined and want to rent as I have not had good luck with RCI finding me 2 bedroom units during Feb school vacation. You and others here have given me valuable tips in verifying the timeshare. I have rented my timeshare thru Craigslist before, but on here from now on.

Lisa R.
Oct 13, 2011

Here,s a scam to watch for if you decide to sell It was posted on the form by longestever40@yahoo.com His name is Maurice Allen 727-667-8144 he is a very honest man that will help if he can. don't believe it he almost got us. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS contact me at lotastore1@yahoo.com ADRIEN

Adrien J.
Oct 13, 2011

Ok, here is the deal. I don't seem to understand alot of things that I read and though I am an adult I feel like I'm going into high school, scared, insecure, unsure...... So please keep responses honest, short and simple, thanks. I need to know step for step what I suppose to do to sale my time share. I just want out and I want it as quick and simple as possible. For those who are laughing right now, I do know that it's not going to be that easy but surely someone knows the ropes and can guide me gently. I've been burnt a few times and don't care for that feeling to much. So can I please get a fair response. Thanks

Dania A.
Oct 14, 2011

Hi Daniaa5, The simplest way to sell your timeshare is on Redweek. Whether is sells quickly depends on what you are selling and for how much. Look at other listings for your property and get a sense of what they go for and price yours similarly.

Redweek also has advice forums about the steps to take to sell and measures to take that protect the seller and buyer. That includes a good closing company.

There is also the website hosted by TUG. It is www.tug2.com. Both of these sites are specifically for timeshare people; either owners or those familiar. Both have low fees to advertise.

You can also try Ebay but that is more open to those that don't know timesharing.

I hope that helps.

L M.
Oct 14, 2011

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to post that we listed our week here on Redweek and it rented. It took a little while for the unit to go. But the listing is long enough so that wasn't a problem.

The transaction went perfectly. Communications between us was easy and smooth. It was nice to work with someone that knew what a timeshare was and what they were renting. That is another perk to renting on Redweek. People come to this site deliberately looking for timeshares.

We are happy with our results and will use Redweek again for renting.

L M.
Oct 18, 2011

I have TSL , Time Share liquidators offering me $ to put my time share week in their rental program. I see a lot of negative information out there - even an investigation going on in 2009. Does anyone have any good experience with them. So far no upfront $ was asked for - sounded legitimate. I am not looking to sell

Worried S.
Oct 19, 2011

worrieds wrote:
I have TSL , Time Share liquidators offering me $ to put my time share week in their rental program. I see a lot of negative information out there - even an investigation going on in 2009. Does anyone have any good experience with them. So far no upfront $ was asked for - sounded legitimate. I am not looking to sell

Have you thought about what would happen if you put it in their rental program and it does not rent out?

Also, if there's an investigation going on about them, that could mean that the Attorney-General could shut them down anytime soon. Then what?

If you want to rent out your unit, I would recommend doing it yourself by advertising here on RedWeek.

Lance C.
Oct 25, 2011

I am really interested in buying a timeshare that is for sale thru the Redweek site, it is in Florida and I was wondering how do I know that it is legit? They seller said they woud be paying the closing cost and I would pay the deed transfer. They also said it's a floating week. I don't want to get burned.

April W.
Oct 25, 2011

Thank you for your very helpful response.

Dania A.
Oct 26, 2011

never, never pay any UP Front FEES. Look up firm on BBB website and see the number of complaints, if any, have a contract mailed out to you to review, and even your attorney prior to entering any signed documents. also, just call the headquarters once to see how they respond to your questions. I have been attempting to sell timeshares for the last 5 years and plan to write a short book on the In's,l and out of this business. If you get in trouble, read ron Burley book, "Unscrewed". so far chapt. 1, and chapt 11 have been utilized. ,

Robert S.
Oct 26, 2011

Whenever a company tries to get you to pay for the service before hand they are most likely a scam. I have been through it and it is extremely frustrating!

Victoria L.
Oct 27, 2011

aprilw43 wrote:
I am really interested in buying a timeshare that is for sale thru the Redweek site, it is in Florida and I was wondering how do I know that it is legit? They seller said they woud be paying the closing cost and I would pay the deed transfer. They also said it's a floating week. I don't want to get burned.

There is a great deal of good advise here on Redweek. If you follow this link: http://www.redweek.com/resources/stay-safe Read through the information.

L M.
Oct 28, 2011

Do you understand the term "floating week"? Usually "floating weeks" are tied to a "season" such as High/Red, Medium/White, and Low/Blue. Different resort groups use different terminology, but you get the drift. If you buy Low/Blue float time, you are not limited to your contractual week but you can only reserve during Low demand time (if any). Medium/White owners may reserve in Medium or Low seasons. High/Red owners can reserve at any time. Of course "based on availability" is always a given. Before buying, make very sure whether there are seasonal limitations that are acceptable to you. If the resort is part of a chain such as Westgate, etc., ask about the policies regarding exchanging among resorts in the chain. Is that allowed? If so, is there an Internal Exchange Fee or not? And WHAT WERE THE MAINTENANCE FEES OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS. Can you afford them? When will they be due again? The honesty of the sell is probably not a problem, but you need to understand what you are buying. MD

Mary D.
Oct 28, 2011

Message lost, I'll try again.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Oct 28, 2011 06:27 PM

Oct 28, 2011

April - I suggest that you slow down and rent a week you like before you jump into buying a timeshare. The prices on Redweek are not much more than the maintenance fees on the units listed. Please note that the annual cost of a timeshare includes the maintenance fee plus some amortization of the purchase price. Don't expect to recover the cost of your timeshare if you ever want to sell it.

One other thing if you buy, I suggest that you buy Marriott or another high-end timeshare and buy only Platinum season weeks. Also, buy thru a real estate broker (licensed by a state).

Den
Oct 29, 2011

Is "Platinum Season" the Marriott term for the busiest season & therefore includes all lower seasons? Sigh. Every company speaks its own language. I assume that is where you own, Dennis. We own with Wyndham and Bluegreen and have been well pleased with both. In any case, either buy where you really want to go year after year or buy with a company which has many locations and lets you exchange among them without an extra fee. Of course you can exchange your resort week temporarily through an exchange company such as RCI or Interval, but they will definitely charge an exchange fee of close to $200. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Oct 29, 2011 10:46 PM

Oct 30, 2011

Yes, a "Platinum" timeshare week under the Marriott program is a week in the prime or high season. I believe this is the equivalent of a "red" week under the red, white and blue designations.

Buying a prime week will be more expensive but gives the owner a better season as well as a much better trading vehicle for exchange.

Dennis

Den
Oct 31, 2011

Yes, if one can only travel in High season because of kids in school or such, owning a lower season week is an exercise in frustration. MD

Mary D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.