Timeshare Companies

Does Anyone Know Why The Grupo Mayan Would Want To Use The Wyndham Name In Business?

Mar 06, 2011

I have been informed by someone who is in the administration strata of Wyndham that the Gupo Mayan have merged with the Wyndham to a certain degree. I do not really understand it.

Also, I do have a "bone to pick" with the Mayan on account of their dragging on the delay of the return of my money, now that the contract has been cancelled especially, and that I have been very patient to date. I took off all the comments on the internet as they insisted on this to return my downpayment and monthly payments, plus the escrew payment now incorporated into the reimbursement, and then they reneged on their promise.................I have been waiting in all for two years and eleven months! This is too much really! The money owed is four thousand and seventy five US dollars. I have given them my bank details, and the latest communication from them said that they are willing to pay "half" of what is owed, then they expect a "settlement" to be signed, but to have no real settlement at that point, and to wait for them to send the other half of what they owed once they receive the "settlement"! Well, doh! as the say across the pond, "What's your game?"

I have fallen into this "trust web" too many times and the Timeshare Consumers Association of UK says that they are a no go area, not to get involved in these "settlements" without the money owed safely deposited in my bank!!! That sounds like "common sense". The Mayan say that they are now "transparent" and also "not playing games". Well then the "proof of the pudding is in the eating", as they say. Once the money has been repaid I would have no more interest to waste my time on the internet exposing this whole situation. I would gladly sign and deliver the settlement on condition that the money has been returned. And it is not as if this company has not had ample opportunity to return the money. They are "bloody minded" as they say, and not reasonable people. They believe that they can intimidate a lone woman as that is how they have been behaving all along, in Mexico and now!

The Wyndham I understand is a huge global company which is probably the biggest in the world, if I am not mistaken! They have a decent reputation. How is it that the Mayan are becoming "merged" with a reputable company. The internet says they are not, the BBB says that they are not, the Timeshare Consumers Association says that they are not.... What is going on?! Is anyone out there listening to this? Isn't it about time that the Mayan just simply put their money where their mouth is and paid up in full to me?! Or could I approach someone in the Wyndham about this for a resolution?

My mouth is suffering from a very "bad taste" on account of so much hassle with the Mayan. Their reps were at the Cancun Airport when my companion and I landed at the Airport and she responded to their calling out to tourists. She bought two tickets to Chichinitsa and then they questioned her about her hotel. The very next day at nine a.m. they were at our hotel waiting to take us to the Mayan Palace to see "the hotel of five star dreams!" All rubbish. They were not travel agents trying to promote a hotel but timeshare. But the word was never used once. The visit to the Mayan Palace did strike me as impressive but the big but is that all of it came "crashing down", when I was unable to walk without sitting down almost immediately after the breakfast, gratis, five star, buffet with coffee served on a silver platter by a uniformed waitress! I drank three cups and I was out of it completely! That was coffee with more than "au lait"!!! Never again, timeshare is off the radar for me for ever!!! It has a bad name in the UK anyway, and I was told to take it very cautiously. I fell into a trap there at the Mayan and it was not going to be resolved so soon. It was a mistake. They were using all the worst kind of cheap deal sales talk and "deal of the century" jargon, most of which I was not able to understand as it was relating to staying there, the "red week", etc. It was too much...........and I had no mind to deal with the issue properly, as my eyelids were shutting non stop all the time, I had become a zombie!!! In the end most of the people were gone from the auditorium and I ended up signing on a dotted line. I was promised the "earth" but was sure that that was all talk and that is what it turned out to be, but worse still it was lies and nothing but lies! And they were timeshare! Not "vacation....." timeshare in its worst, most blatant form.

I returned two days later, as the second day I had to recuperate from the whole event. There was more to that coffee than met the eye, for sure! It took me a long sleep to get over it! I was a dead duck whilst in that auditorium and a "deader duck" in the hotel the next day. But the day after that I took off once again to get my money back, as the contract said that you could rescind within the five day "cooling off period". I was so "cooled off" that I had turned into a piece of ice! My plea was falling on deaf ears. I realised that when these people get your money they would not let go so easily. And let go they were not going to do, instead I was mocked as to why I said yes to them in the first place. Not professional!!! Mexican law had no bearing there. I had no one to back me up, and as far as they were concerned it was not their problem but MINE! In other words "You have been duped, now live with it". That was the attitude. And there were many others like me. sink or swim was the attitude.

I returned a second time and again had no success to cancel the contract. I was too ashamed to ask the Thomas Cook rep about what I should do at the time. This is the effect that it has on a person. They make you feel stupid and they use all the psychological "weaponry" of this age!!! The Mrs. Garcia, plastic smile and all, was not going to say that it is OK to rescind. I was having "buyer's remorse", just a "bad cold" that was going to go away.

I was stuck. It took time and energy until I got to see what could be done.

Nothing prevents these people from returning my money except pride. They want to prove that they are right all the way to the bank! The end justifies the means. But really at the end of the day it is a question of reputation but they seem not to care! Money in the pocket for them can "buy reputation". I had made a mistake and paid a very high price for it! To receive half of the money is not right. That is what they have offered so far, and to sign a "settlement" saying that everything was OK I cannot do. Because until ALL THE MONEY OWED IS BACK IN MY BANK NOTHING IS SETTLED!

Vera V.
Mar 15, 2011

I AM RESPONDING TO MY OWN QUESTION NOW:

I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THE WYNDHAM HAVE A SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THE MAYAN i.e. THAT THE MAYAN ARE ALLOWED TO USE THE WYNDHAM'S NAME FOR CERTAIN PROPERTIES OF THEIRS. HOW EXACTLY THIS WORKS I WAS NOT TOLD BY THAT IT IS TRUE TO THE LETTER IT IS. A MS. BRENDA GEORGE WHO IS AN EMPLOYEE OF WYNDHAM, A LAWYER SAID THE FOLLOWING TO ME IN AN EMAIL ON THE 4TH MARCH, 2011:

"Wyndham Vacation Ownership is not directly affiliated with Gruop Mayan in Mexico. This developer HAS AN AGEEMENT TO USE THE WYNDHAM NAME WIThOUT AFFILIATION TO WYNDHAM VACATIONS OWNERSHIP".

If anyone needs to know more about this perhaps Ms. Brenda George will enlighten further on tel. (407) 626 5195. Email: Brenda.George@wyn.com.

Vera V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.